New
Find
Notify
Tools

15 year old on buff hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My 15 year old son and I are visiting relatives in Tanz next summer. We are planning on booking a 2x1 7 day buff hunt thru luxuryhunt.com. We are from Idaho and have done a lot of hunting together, and spent a lot of time in the sticks. We have travelled overseas several times but never to africa.

My question is am I crazy taking a 15 year old (he'll be 16 next summer) on a DG hunt? We've hunted deer/elk/antelope together in idaho so he knows what that is all about. This will be our first 'guided' hunt experience and first experience in Africa. Tanz is the country of choice since the wife will be visiting relatives in Dar while we hunt.

i've been lurking here for several months and this is my first post. Any input would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take him. I did it and we had a great time. He killed a buff, kudu, croc, and other stuff. His sister (age 19)killed a zebra and his brother (age 17) shot buff, giraffe, eland and other stuff.
We had great PH's that showed us the ropes and we had the greatest vacation ever....

Here is the trip report

http://www.accuratereloading.com/dogcat.html

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Only take him if you are willing to pay for an additional buffalo....he will kill one too!

Take him!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take him and have a great time. My son is 15, and I took him last year and this year. Both times he killed a buff and, I might add, handled himself like a pro. Just be aware you are opening Pandora's Box!! Your hunts are always going to cost you twice as much because you will always be taking him. But, as a father, you cannot find a better way to bond with your son at this very critical time in his developement. This experience is so far removed from drugs, videos, special effects, teen violence and the like, that it can only have a positive effect on your son.

Buy THE PERFECT SHOT by Kevin Robertson, NYATI by African Hunter Magazine, and RIFLES for AFRICA by Gregor Woods. Read them, then give them to your son to read. After that, the two of you can have many discussions and arguments over thee contents therein before the hunt. Then you guys can go on the hunt and have an absolute ball. He will remember an cherish the experience when he is old and gray, long after you have gone on to the Eternal Hunting Grounds.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First let me say that a buff hunt with a good and cautious PH will be very rewarding for you and for your son. Particularly on a short hunt the PH has to be excellent to make it all come together.

I know what you've been offered sounds very ataractive because it is cheap. What we offer is a little more expensive but you each will have a full license meaning you can take 2 buff each as well as a wildebeest, hartebeest, zebra, warthog and impala each in 7 days if you choose. This hunt is in Mahenge North that holds loads of buffalo as well as plains game and you would have exclusivity of the area and camp for the duration of your hunt. The camp was all new this year including all equipment and the Land Cruiser. The resident PH runs the anti-poaching in the off season so he is intimately familiar with the area unlike a free lance that you may have elsewhere.

The 2x1 price is $6500 each and includes everything other than trophy fees, tips and hotels as necessary in Dar Es Salaam. This is a quality hunt at a great price.

If I can provide further info please let me know.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say take the teenager!

[And talk to Mark above too.]

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Sidnye,

Welcome to AR and yes take your son...He knows how to shoot and you will be right there with him and PH...YOu can do the filming, what a treasure you will have...

The best,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Without question, take him. One of my most fond memories is hunting Kodiak Brown Bear with my Dad when I was a teenager. Opportunities like these will never repeat themselves.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Sidnye,

Congrats on actually making your first posting on AR. Having lurked some time you sure knew that you'll get 100% positive response. Wink I assume that you need something like a list of many positive responses to convince a better half that her son should really go hunt a dangerous beast in africa? Wink

But, all jokes aside, without reservation I would also say say: "Take him along!" He is 16 only once, and you can go to Africa for the first time only once! It is a chance that will never ever come up again. So take him along!

Enjoy the planning and preparation, for which I endorse the advice by Geronomo!

Andrew McLaren [Who took his 11 year old son to the Kalahari and never regretted it.]

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Guided several kids younger than yours on elephant and buff hunts, and must say that I have enjoyed it and they have survived me. One of the key considerations for a happy hunt with kids is that it MUST be a good concession with easily findable game. Bored kids, driving for hours every day whilst feeding tsetsefly and sucking dust makes for some serious whines Wink Adults may be happy to put up with that because it was a bargin price and provided there is blood on the ground at the end of it, it is worth it.

The youngest I have ever guided was a 9 year old on a tuskless cow ele. I was aprehensive- spoilt, rich, aristocrats son- Is he going to do what he's told? The drive in turned apprehension into fear, but the moment we got into the bush, he changed into "hunting mode" and we had a brilliant time (which is more than the poor PH who had his dad could say Big Grin)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Sidnye,

That sounds like a great idea! I have 7 years to wait before I will be in your shoes making to same decision.

Just curious, what rifle/caliber to you have your son set up with?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
absolutely take him - I did with my youngest daughter when she was in high school and its still a highlight of her life.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
100% what Geronomo said. Here's a link to a report that I did of my bull ele hunt with two sons in July-05 --> CLICK HERE

And do consider talking to Mark Y, I hunted with the PH that I think he is referring to and he would make a perfect guide for a father/son hunt and a real African experience.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
It would be a big mistake to NOT take him. You never know about life, you might not have the chance to do it again. I say go for it and have a great experience with your son.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Of course, take him. Don't worry about his safety, at age 15 or 16, he can out run you!!

What a great opportunity. Do it!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take him. My daughter(age 11) & I just got back from Zim. She had a great time and shot some great trophys.

Posts: 263 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys thanks for all the positive reponses.

Mark, I send you a long pm

thanks again

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I guess that you've noticed by now that the consensus is 100 PER CENT! Take him, but be aware of the addiction that you will be creating!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do it!! If I could afford to take my boys now I would.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do it! Wish I had a son to take.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidnye:
....My question is am I crazy taking a 15 year old (he'll be 16 next summer) on a DG hunt?....

Absolutely not!! I would love to hunt with my dad one more time but he passed away almost 14 years ago. So enjoy your time together while you can.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quick, do it now before he loses interest and finds other stuff to get into. You're extremely lucky to have your kid wanting to do something that you happen to like. Enjoy your time with him as it can change sooner than you think.

clap clap

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And think of all the fun the two of you will have preparing for the trip of a lifetime - TOGETHER!! There will be maps to be pored over, gear to be sorted out, lots of practice at the range, and and and... I wish the two of you the best time possible!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take him now before he changes his interests! My son was my constant hunting companion until he turned 16. He then got his drivers license and he started hunting women rather than game. I was left without a hunting partner.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't it funny how a boy bewilderedsuddenly changes overnight? One day he can't be bothered with girls and such and the next day he'll be all goo-goo eyed over some chick he'd just met. He'll be thinking w/his little head for a long time.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely yes, unless your ego can't handle being outdone by your Son. I've been hunting with my Son every year since he turned 13. He wasn't interested before then. Kids have phenominal legs and phenominal luck.

Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phenominal legs, that was the mountain goat hunt. There is no scale yet invented that can accurately measure how much faster a 16 year old recovers from climbing a mountain than a 52 year old.
Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote