THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    needed: links to PH corruption - Zimbabwe

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

needed: links to PH corruption - Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Over the past couple months there have been a number of threads discussing alledged corruption involving unlicensed PH's, alledged bribery of officials to get access to hunting areas, etc. in Zim. A couple weeks ago there was information about criminal charges taking place. I'm having difficulty in doing a thread search.

I would appreciate it if those that can locate specific links to this topic would PM me with the information, (beyond rumor and second-hand allegations).

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt

Do a search in the African forum on 'Huntress'. That is Teresa Gruenwald. Also search some of 'Kathi' posts. I was corresponding with a fellow going to Zim with Out of Africa and was looking myself.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is suprising to me the number of hunters that still have no hesitation in booking a hunt in Zimbabwe.
I have tried to keep tab of who is who and what is what amongst the PH/Outfitters operating there and have found that unless one has a degree in statistics and investigation (???) there is no way of determining who is "clean" and who is not

While I sympathise with those that are honest and depend on tourist hunting for a living, I feel that the whole situation is too confused for anyone to make a confident decision.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nickudu Files / Archives / Index / PDF posts / Zim Hunt Report

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Zim almost every year for the past 9 years and know several PH's there. Most of the ones that I know well are honest as the day is long," Old School" types you know. If anyone wants a short list just PM me.

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt

Two Different problems.

1) Unlicenced PH's and 2 Illegal or "problem" operators.

For 1) Check with Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Ass for the PH's name and Number. Following an Audit last year of all licences issued, over 30 fraudulently issued ones were pulled and police are looking into each individual. Also the systtem was changed. PH's now have a plastic ID and a perminant number. Public and transparant.

Master list kept by Don Heath at fishunt@mweb.co.zw

Association has copy at zatso@mweb.co.zw

MAKE SURE YOUR PH IS Licenced to hunt in Zim. There have been many unqualified South African (and others) PH's trying to conduct safari's in some areas. Remember that if your "PH" has to bail you out, only the Zim licenced PH may legally do so. Otherwise it comes off your quota and must be paid for!

As to the operators... The water gets muddy but

1) check with the association. Same email as above. Not all operators are members and those that aren't ... you pay your money and you takes your chances.

2) Check what land you are hunting on.

Communal (tribal) is basically safe and there are no dodgy tie ups that I am aware of except perhaps Hwange, but this is still rumor at this stage (and Zimbabwe lives on Rumor)

Parks Concessions. These are all legally hel;d as far as US Fish & Wildlife are concerned. 4 were issued by the minister at huge financial detriment to parks and conservation but...
Those that are fairly held and where your money definately goes back into conservation include
Matetsi units 3 &5
Chirisa
Chete
Chewore (both north and South)
Nyakasanga
Sapi
Rifa
Dande
Malapati

Private land:- Who is on it? Under US law, if you hunt on occupied farms (illegally siezed even by zim law) then you may be guilty of possesing stolen property if you attempt to bring the trophies back into the states.

It is a catch 22 situation for us here. Without money provided by hunters there will be an ecological catastrophy. However, it hurts to see the dishonest making money out of wildlife, ripping off the clients and putting nothing back.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is it is totally legal for these companies to do buisness with a takeover PH in Zim. I am not saying I agree with the ethics but that is a personal opinion. Hunting illegaly would be a violation, but in these cases there is a lic zim ph albeit of questionable character. This is not considered an ethics violation as no laws are broken, bent maybe but not broken. Currency law violations would be considered an ethics violation. What is needed here gentleman is cold hard facts. If anyone can supply info on any company who is breaking the law it would be appreciated.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, don't dispair! Carmello is going to have all that info for us soon, remember? The "New Forum"!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Ethical vs Criminal. Everything in Zimbabwe is a crime unless it is specifically permitted!.

Currency Violations are no crime except for the Zim operator, and hiding a bit of loot from our Government is certainly no sin! Nor is assisting in it unethical for a visiting hunter. What is unethical and criminal is hunting stolen game on stolen land.

For the record, a South African PH/Operator is perfectly entitled to book you on a hunt in Zimbabwe, provided he goes though a registered local operator. (The same works going the other way). A qualified, registered PH is required to conduct the hunt.

The problems have come with wanabes conducting hunts because they thought they could get away with it, and local politicians being given concessions which they had no idea how to run, and sub leasing them.

Untill the prosecution of the two main companies that have been involved in the illegal hunting is at least public I don't belive it would be right for me to name them at present. It is sad but true- 95% of the illegal hunting has been conducted by two South African companies working with local political figures and two local PH/operators. Thats all.. and there are 450 Licenced PH's in Zim of whome at least 400 are pretty straight up guys.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana, No argument from me. I will talk to you offline.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
An article on illegal hunting from October of 2003

Mail & Guardian

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Courtesy of Ganyana:

Zim PH's Guides and Restricted licenses:

�A� Restriction - not allowed to conduct elephant hunts.

�B� Restriction - not allowed to conduct lion or elephant hunts.

�C� Restriction - not allowed to conduct buffalo, lion or elephant hunts. (ie restricted to hunting leopard and plainsgame)

Restriction // Name

C ---- J.Chasi

B ---- M. Jonquires

A ---- Dolf Stoki

A ---- R.T. Borland

A ---- C. Nkomo

A ---- D. Marumahoko

B ---- Humphrey Gumbo

A ---- F.J. Harris (now Alexander)

A ---- Ian Harmer

B ---- I.P. Walsh

A ---- D. Westbrook