Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle with Aimpoint Micro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Right ho Alan, but let's not forget to discuss the merits of the controlled spear feed (CSF) of the atlatl versus the empty hand.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Bunn:
quote:
Originally posted by tim416:

I am of the younger generation and thinking of going traditional on my next hunt. I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but can you shed some light on the ballistic coefficient and grain weight recommended of the flint tip spearheads you were using.

Tim,

The more things have changed, the more they have stayed the same. There were some that said the standard 3000 grain spear tips on a standard wood shaft were all you would ever need.

Then, there were others who said that a 2700 grain tip would give you a flat enough trajectory that you could use it on plains game species, but was still enough spear for dangerous game... with proper flint tip placement.

However, there was another group that advocated the 'heavy for spear' 3500 grain flint tips as the only proper tips to use for maximum knock down power.

This was an endless argument that went on for hours every night around the fire, until one day a fellow from across the river showed up with a newfangled rig that featured this fluted tip that couldn't have weighed more than 2300 grains and was on a shorter, thinner shaft slung out of an atlatl.

Well, immediately there was a group that latched on to that claiming it to be the answer to all problems, and runners were dispatched up and down the river to find someone who had actually used it on a hunt.

We learned never to discuss ballistic coefficients, as these arguments became very heated and usually resulted in a 'club fest'. And, when we would all be too sore and bruised to go hunting the next day, all the moaning and bitching from the women convinced us that this was not in our best interests.

There was however further, spirited debate on whether it was ethical to stay back and use an atlatl on dangerous game, but that is a topic for another day. Cool

Thanks for the chuckle. Big Grin

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Mike is a good friend and client of mine. In his case, it was either sell the double or mount an Aimpoint so he could keep using it. When my eyes start to go, I will probably do the same thing.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote