New
Find
Notify
Tools

which is better and why...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i am interested to hear the thoughts on what is better in terms of a mono bullet or an FMJ for use on a frontal brain shot on a charging animal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depend what animal is on the receiving end - there are good bullets and bad bullets.

I steer clear of monos (but that is my choice) and lay preference on Woodleys which are great performers on Ele and Buff and have yet to fail me. Big Grin stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimguide:
i am interested to hear the thoughts on what is better in terms of a mono bullet or an FMJ for use on a frontal brain shot on a charging animal.

Bata bullets hilbily
You can run faster with them on.....
(Fujo will know what I mean)

The BATA BULLET is a name for a locally produced shoe (Made in Kenya) preferred by many an East African PH and tracker as the best stalking shoes on the planet. They cost about 10 bob only....

Edited to add:
I've never had to shoot a charging ele but have so far done well with FMJ bullets on buff.... I suspect ele's demand better respect?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GS Custom or North Fork.

In the Lott I suggest you shoot a 450Gr banded solid.
Out penetrates anything and does so in a straight line.
The GS Custom 450gr banded solids also have 20% reduced peak pressure which makes a Lott feel a lot more like a win mag or 375 on the shooters end.

One more reason to shoot the 450gr mono metals as opposed to 500gr is that most twist rates on barrels are too slow to stabilize bullets under 10 yards.
I personally built my Lott on a 1:10 twist to help combat this effect. Even so I still recommend nothing heavier than a 450gr mono metal as anything longer than that will be inherently less stable. Most barrels are 1:14 twist, better suited to shorter bullets than long.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
CEB mono Bullets. Only about 220 pages of support over on the "Terminal Bullet Thread". Another 120 pages or so on the "Double Rifle Bullet of the Future" thread. Check it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimguide,

I have used most of the bullets referenced here on elephant frontal shots except for the GS custom. They all penetrate equally and exit through the back of the head. Assuming of course that you are using a bullet with a sd of .300 or over and a velocity in the neighborhood of 2,150 fps. The FN tend to go further after exiting the head than the RN but there are exceptions even to this. Use any that will work through your gun. If you decide that you want to use a FN and you are using a bolt gun, be sure they will feed through your rifle. They don't feed well in all bolt rifles.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote