New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 lott, pre 64 winchester?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What caliber would be best to convert to a 458 lott, a .375 or a 458. ??? Thinking of something big but I really like pre 64".

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't ruin a P64 just for fun.

If you want a .458 Lott, just buy a CZ or Ruger and go for it, or try and build a VZ24 in .458L.

My VZ24.458WM Slammed everything I shot like a pick ax to the head without the potentional feeding problems I had with certain bullets at even a standard .458 length, let alone a .458L.

Good powders, good bullets, and practice with a P64 Mod70, and you are good to go. Don't F-up a P64-458.

If a .458WM in a classic P64 aint enough, I don't really know what to say..

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
458 if you want to do it--there's plenty of info, just do a search---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny, Look for a well used 300 H&H. Only this or the 375 H&H will have the long mag you will need for the Lott. Pre-64's in 375 are too valuable to modify but sometimes you can find a 300 for around $800. You can also sell the old barrel on Ebay and recoup a hundred bucks or so. Military mausers are really too short for the extra long cartridges and you will have to cut, grind, weaken them, besides adding the long magazine to make it work. The Lott is a wonderful cartridge but expect more recoil than most cartridges. You will want to have stock crossbolts, barrel mounted recoil lug, good bedding and top notch scope mounts to handle the pounding. Good shooting, Marshall Jones

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote