THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Need some help w African rifle choice
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help w African rifle choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I wouldn't accept a Remington M700 as a gift! coffee

I will. Need my address?? Smiler

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me to me to

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 163bc:
quote:
Originally posted by BC3:
I've been a 700 guy all my life too but I purchased a new M70 Safari Express a few years ago in 375 and really like the rifle. The fit is very nice, unlike a 700 CDL purchased new within the last few years. The 375 shoots pretty good as well once I found the load for it. I've since purchased another M70 and again I am very happy with the rifle. With the experience I've had with the last 3 rifles if I find myself in need of another bolt gun Winchester will be the first place I look. I'm not bashing big Green but I'd take a really good look at the SC produced Winchesters before dismissing them.

I ordered a new FN manufactured Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H yesterday. Might as well try one and and get used to it. I figure if I don't like it I can always go back to a Remmy. Thanks for all the feedback. 163bc

Great choice, if they had their stainless 375 H&H in a new M70 when I went brown bear hunting in Alaska last fall I would've bought one instead of the Rem XCR II. That being said the XCR did just fine after a few mods.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4777 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy your new M70. I bought one of those last year in 375 H&H and I really like it. It seems to be a little more bulky than the M700 in 375 that I had years ago. Mine shoots everything great except for the Barnes TSX but even it shoots "minute of beast".

With all due respect to everyone's experiences and opinions, USMC and USSOCOM forces have put quite a bit of rounds through M700 actions under less than ideal conditions. No other group has that level of experience. Those forces have access to any equipment they want. That is the best endorsement any firearm can ever have.

Most people do not get to know their firearm. They go to the range, sand bag it up and single shot load and fire it. Then they look at the target, catch the brass so it doesn't hit the ground, etc.

In a real world situation, you will react according to how you have trained. Watch the hunting shows, too often the hunter acts like he is on a flat range shooting a target with a new/unfamiliar gun. Practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you get it sighted in, leave the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shoot off sticks A LOT!
Shoot sitting & free handed.
I practice at ranges farther than I will probably shoot in Africa, therefore the closer shots look easier to me.

I love hearing my guns go BOOM!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post

I have several R700s.

However most of my rifles are Win M70 prewar.

The above is an exception and the most modern one by far. It is Chambered in 7mm WSM. I shoot mainly 180 Berger Vlds in it at MV ~2800 fps. It is a spectacular performer and easily justifys the long US Optics scope with Mil/MIL system.

I was thinking that in Saeed's world this might be called a 7mm/.404 Short. Smiler

Various domestically manufactured 7mm bullets with 180 Sierra Match 30 Cal bullet.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hallgeir Gravrok
posted Hide Post
A litle question on the side of the issue if you allow:
I have a Ruger (RSM) i 375 H&H MAg, What would you guys say about this rifle hunting in Africa.
New recoilpad and Timney trigger is mounted.

Posts: 78 | Location: Norway | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hallgeir Gravrok:
A litle question on the side of the issue if you allow:
I have a Ruger (RSM) i 375 H&H MAg, What would you guys say about this rifle hunting in Africa.
New reciolpad and Timney trigger is mounted.

Funny you should ask. We always seem to have one on a hunt in various calibers for a back up gun in case someone has an accident or scope problem, etc. We call it the "meat gun" and they have never failed us.

Hunting partner has a .375 H&H number one which he carrys mostly.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 163bc:
I've been a Remington 700 man all my life. Have used a rem 700 extensively in north America including grizzly. Now Africa is calling and I need to get a dedicated safari rifle. Why not a Remington 700? I am trying to warm up to winchesters but just don't really care for them. Need some advice. Thanks, 163bc

Our own Aaron Neilson, aka Lion Man, shoots a Remington 700 in .375 Ultra Mag. He has 11 or 20 lions to his credit and he has not been eaten yet.

Go with what you shoot well.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote