THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Botswana: Conservation Strategy On Course

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana: Conservation Strategy On Course
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201512072303.html

Botswana: Conservation Strategy On Course

By Ludo Chube

Kasane — Botswana remains committed to conservation efforts even in the face of minimal international funding.

Speaking at this year's Botswana Travel and Tour Expo (BTTE) recently, Minister of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism, Tshekedi Khama decried that since being declared a middle income country, Botswana receives little funding for anti-poaching and conservation initiatives.

"We are not afraid to ask for assistance, this is the one country in Africa that will commit to doing something even when we do not have funding," he said.

He however noted that in the last three years, Botswana had been fortunate enough got some assistance worth 800 000 Euros from Holland and 10 million Yuan from China.

That notwithstanding, he emphasised that the country remained resolute in its conservation strategy.

"The best thing we ever did, although I am sure the hunters would differ, was to ban hunting in this country and this was because certain species were decreasing, hence we needed to take stock of where we are to ensure that our decisions going forward are well informed, and most importantly that we do not use hunting as a form of culling," he added.

"Hunting ban means just that with Botswana," he said, emphasising that hunting and conservation are two different things that cannot be used comfortably in the same sentence.

Khama noted that government has a programme to drill 25 boreholes around the country in order to manage the movement of animals and keep them away from causing trouble for the communities.

"We have what could possibly be the biggest sanctuary in the whole world," he said, adding that Botswana has been the best-kept secret and it was not time to unlock that secret.

The high value/low impact tourism model in Botswana, he said, is due to the fact that the country has to have an ecologically stable system to maintain what is being done, which tends to be very difficult. He added that the country continues to learn every day to polish this model into being the best model that it can possibly be.

Khama encouraged the visiting international tour operators to provide feedback on what they would like to see offered by Botswana and feel free to critique the current model.

Meanwhile, he condemned the shooting of a black rhino in Namibia earlier this year after the rhino was deemed to be 'too aggressive.'

BOPA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://allafrica.com/stories/201512072303.html

, Minister of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism, Tshekedi Khama ...

"The best thing we ever did, although I am sure the hunters would differ, was to ban hunting in this country and this was because certain species were decreasing, hence we needed to take stock of where we are to ensure that our decisions going forward are well informed, and most importantly that we do not use hunting as a form of culling," he added.

Or could it be that the overabundance of elephants are destroying their environment thus causing the decrease of certain species.

"Hunting ban means just that with Botswana," he said, emphasising that hunting and conservation are two different things that cannot be used comfortably in the same sentence.

Kenya is a great role model!

Khama noted that government has a programme to drill 25 boreholes around the country in order to manage the movement of animals and keep them away from causing trouble for the communities.

Wow, one well for every 9,000 sq miles. Sounds like a workable solution.

The high value/low impact tourism model in Botswana, he said, is due to the fact that the country has to have an ecologically stable system to maintain what is being done, which tends to be very difficult. He added that the country continues to learn every day to polish this model into being the best model that it can possibly be.

Could the "low impact tourism model" be due to the fact that relatively few people travel to Botswana to take photos?

Meanwhile, he condemned the shooting of a black rhino in Namibia earlier this year after the rhino was deemed to be 'too aggressive.'

Obviously $350,000 going into conservation is a bad thing

BOPA

Posts: 802 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Ha! Many more quotes from that movie could be relevant here as well.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yep not to mention Snatch was freakin' hilarious...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And Libs from those before mentioned countries will swallow hook, line and sinker
Stupid is as stupid does...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote