Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting possibilities in Iran
 Login/Join

posted
I have a businessinvitation this year to an area that my host descibes as follow:

"Bakhtiari province is about 10,000 square Km of highlands in Zagross mountains in Iran, on average 2,300 m above sea level, average snow fall from Nov. to March about 300 cm. The area is the origin of three big rivers Karun, Zayanderud & Dez with lots of springs and water. This highland is the summer place for Bakhtiari nomad tribe with thousands of years history of back and fort movement. They move in winter to south west of the province with no snow fall and back to this place from middle of spring to early fall.The area is one of the most untouched lands on earth with natural beauties second to none."

Could/should I bring a rifle? Anybody knows something about the hunting possibilities there? Being a Norwegian is there something else I should be aware of regarding racial/political/religiuos or other matters?

I would be most greatful for any opinoins any of you could share on this subject.

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a120,
A good source of information for hunting in Iran is Gretchen Stark,Safari Outfitters,Cody,Wyoming,
TX:307-587-5596
e-mail, hunt@safari1.com
website-www.safari1.com

Animals available are Trans-Caspian urial,Red sheep, Armenian Mouflon, Esfahan Mouflon, Laristan Mouflon, Brown Bear, Persian Gazelle and wild boar.

Best of luck and I am sure you will enjoy the hunting opportunities there.

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

Posts: 9373 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi a120
i have visited those areas many decades ago. very good hunting grounds. wild and majestical Zagros mountains. you may bring a light rifle in 270 winchester ( like the late Jack o'conner's mountain rifle ) it would be a lot of climbings and as 270 is popular round ammos could be available and flat shooting ability is needed for long range shooting of cours if you can get licens for your own hunting weapons.then you may bring what you have and nowdays i have heard that one can rent guns over there and there are some good iranian made ammos to buy. like the Norway Iran is very nice country for hunting.
good luck
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iran was once a major location for nting when the Shah ran the place. Canada North Outfitting has been doing hunts there for years. The problem is that the USA still has a trade embargo in effect and that means nothing can be imported. I believe that also includes trophies. Someone else may know more about it than me, but I'd hate to hunt some sheep or ibex etc... and not be able to bring anything home.

But then, If you are going to be there anyway and can get some shooting in, it may be worth it. I don't think I'd book a trip over there just for hunting though.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MAC,

a120 is from Norway so US trade restrictions don't apply to him.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I envy you! Were I not from the US, hence barred from bringing anything back from Iran, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but our gov't puts the squash on it. Good luck! Wish I could go--well, actually I can, I just can't bring anything back, which kind of takes away the interest, but not the desire!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Esfahan for seven years before Komini came. I imported a 270 and a 12 ga double (easier to get a permit for than a pump or semi auto) In addition to the animals Kathi mentioned I saw stag and Persian Ibex. One of my friends swares he saw a leopard in those same mountains one night. His story is that he was bow hunting hogs from a tree stand at night. He would wait until the hogs started to feed below his stand then turn on his light and shoot. He claims he heard all the hogs running away and when hit got quiet he turned on his light and ther was a leopard below his stand. Says he was so shook he missed. The hog hunting is great and there is no season or regs regarding Boar. They are considered vermin. The farmers love for you to hunt Boar since they do so much crop damage. Duck hunting is good in the winter in the swamp west of Esfahan and dove hunting is also good along the river west of Esfahan. I hunted with an Armenian friend (Catholic, not muslim). I still correspond with him. I would still be there if the government hadn't changed The State Department evacuated us about two months after Komini came. Hope this helps.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
If you are an American Citizen, I wouldn't be in any hurry to plunk down money for anything to do with Iran for the foreseeable future. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, that is true. I keep hoping the US will change it's policy regarding importing trophies, but it doesn't look good.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of sheep, Ibex, boar, wolf and a few leopards too. French hunters go there for woodcock, so it must be half-decent. My father hunted there last season and shot a Transcaspian Urial and the mount is ready to be picked up next time he goes. He also saw PLENTY of wolves and missed one (running shot). The boar there are honestly MASSIVE but he didn't want to shoot in the sheep hunting area. It seems the locals put in for some kind of lottery draw for coveted tags just like in the US (must be the only similarity) and rumors abound that a baksheesh to the right person can get you drawn quite regularly!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote