New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floating Bones
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of floating bones until I took my first leopard in Namibia in July. It was a great hunt, arranged by PH Fanie Steyn of Thaba Mmoyo Safaries of RSA, who accompanied me, and Born To Hunt Safaries, Toby Cilliers and Gert. It was a hound hunt, and I'll go mortal combat with anyone who says it ain't sporting. (I'm 63, 20# overweight, so it shouldn't be hard.)

Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions of what to do with these mementos. Pix appreciated.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have them put in a block of lucite. Makes an interesting paper weight.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have my originals from my lion and then a copy of the two floating bones, one done in silver and one done in gold. Very nice.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
You can take them to a jeweler and have a necklace made with come gold or silver and a leopard head flanked on each side by the bones..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine from a lion made into a necklace by Appleby's Animals. Check out his website I believe it is applebysanimals .com.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I am embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of floating bones until I took my first leopard in Namibia in July. It was a great hunt, arranged by PH Fanie Steyn of Thaba Mmoyo Safaries of RSA, who accompanied me, and Born To Hunt Safaries, Toby Cilliers and Gert. It was a hound hunt, and I'll go mortal combat with anyone who says it ain't sporting. (I'm 63, 20# overweight, so it shouldn't be hard.)

Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions of what to do with these mementos. Pix appreciated.

Brice,
If you do a search you will find much here on AR.com about your topic.

The "floating bones" are rudimentary clavicles, or collar bones.

BTW, from what I conclude, hunting leopards with hounds is very sporting indeed, and is the only way I would want to do it, given my druthers.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have not had mine, neither lion nor leopard, made into anything.

I like them just the way they are, and have framed them against photos of the respective big cats.

My first lion had one that he had fractured, and that mended in a strange way.

See below how I have mounted and framed my first lion's floating bones:

I have done my leopard's up the same way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A BELATED THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED. THIS IS A GREAT SITE, POPULATED BY GENTLEMEN, AND A FEW LADIES.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
How large are those bones on a leopard/a lion?

I can't guess since there is nothing in the picure to judge it against.

Thanks

Lance

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:

Thanks

Lance

They vary from animal to animal, I guess depnding on the size of the animal. Mine are just over 3 inches from a lion.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:

Thanks

Lance

They vary from animal to animal, I guess depnding on the size of the animal. Mine are just over 3 inches from a lion.

Thanks for the quick reply, That helps

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does depend on the size of the animal as to the size of the floating bones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the paperweight idea. Alternatively, if you are a pipe smoker you could have them made into a pipe tamp. A gun accessory/tool would be cool too, like a lense brush, or just basic brush for cleaning dust off.

How fragile are they? I think something that you could use all the time, which would give you chance to talk about it when somebody asks, would be great. If you have your trophies in a study type room and have a table lamp they would make really cool lamp pulls (for turning the light on and off).

cool.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote