THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Real world .375 H&H experience

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Real world .375 H&H experience
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
If indeed the Swift went through the lungs, it would have croaked anyway, but what the heck....

I have never used anything less than the .375 in Africa, and am a big believer in using nothing less (well, okay, maybe a 9.3x62); it is murder on impala!

The great characteristic of the .375 H&H is its penetration. It will take out anything on four legs, but there is dangerous game hunting and then there is stopping dangerous game. When the chips are down, it just does not have enough "stopper" horsepower for me.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew & Bill,

You are both correct. Bill knows my PH, Ian Gibson, and Ian said the exact same thing.

"Would have died from the 1st shot if you just let him"

This was my first buffalo hunt and I wasn't there to save ammo. I was pretty excited and didn't hear (or heard and didn't acknowledge) my PH yelling at me to quit running after the buff until after I fired my 4th shot. My rifle held 4 rounds in the magazine (plus the soft in the chamber) and so I had only one round, a solid, remaining in the gun (in the chamber).

The buff hit the ground and my PH said "what are you running after him for, you bloody fool", "what would you do if he came for you". I looked at him and said "that's why you are here". If I was in reach, he would have hit me.

Now, I do have to say that this was on the 4th day of my hunt. So, for the past 3 days, I had been chasing, stalking , climbing & crawling after buffalo for 3 days straight in over 100 degree heat (Chewore, Zim in late October). So when I finally got a shot at a good buff, I was damn well excited.

Anyway, it was a great hunt. However, if I would have just stopped shooting after my 1st shot, that buffalo (as the PH said) would have gone down within 100 to 150 yards. Oh well, live & learn.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot about 200 head of game with mine, 7 elephants, about 12 buffalo, 6 lions and everything else. I use 300 gr X bullets loaded to something like 2570 fps as I remember, it isnt that important. being a good shot is much more important.

I shot 2 buffalo with a 450 dakota and it did seem to work a little better that a 375 but I hit'em perfectly so perhaps it wasnt the larger caliber. If I had to guess I'd say that the 450 was better in that case.

For a initial brain shot on Elephant its fine but on a follow up brain shot from behind a cow once I didnt get enough penetration I needed to reach the brain. But thats what a larger backup caliber is for.

having said all that I will awalys hunt primarly with a 375 and mess around with other calibers once in a while for fun and just to learn.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot maybe 25 Buffalo with a 375 and it always worked just fine...I have seen a half dozen elephant shot with it and again it worked fine at least with brain shots...I have observed that Buffalo and heart shot elephant die faster as the calibers get larger if one can shoot them, and thats the real problem, not caliber, its the recoil factor.

If shots are placed properly the 375 is an excellent caliber, but thats also true with a 500 N. E.....Most can shoot a 375 better than a 500.

The 375 is not a charge stopper IMO, unless the brain or spine is struck... I really prefer a 40 cal. like a 416 or 404 or even a 458 Lott...and my back up gun is my .470 Double..

I guess I'm saying never send a boy to do a mans job!, but if you do then send the right boy.

I still own and shoot a 375, guess I will always have one on hand, and have no problem with hunting Africa with it..I also shoot a 416 Rem and 404 Jefferys, all backed up by a .470...

Mostly its a matter of choice.

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only dangerous game I've shot with 375HH was buffalo and it was one shot, it ran 30 yds and expired. I reload practice rounds, but use Federal Premium 300 grain solids and soft points for hunting.

I have taken a number of other animals, hyena (300gr Silver Tip), eland, zebra and duiker come to mind immediately, and demonstate the round's versatility. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used a 375H&H on my first safari loaded with 300 grain Swift A-Frames and 300 grain Barnes solids, both at a chronographed 2,525 fps.

On my buff, I put my first shot (Swift A-Frame) through the lungs from approx. 30 yards and it did not exit. It made the bull very sick though. At the shot, the herd took off and he quickly fell behind. He was running from our right to our left and I starting running parallel with the herd. Once it was clear, I put a 2nd shot (Barnes solid) through both lungs. It gave a .375" exit hole. Bull slowed down to a walk. Put a 3rd solid through both shoulders and it also exited. The bull stopped at the 3rd shot and was still standing put not really moving. Quickly put in a 4th shot through the shoulders again (exited also) and the bull dropped to the ground and died. He ran no more than 50 yards from where I first shot him.

Shot a bunch of other animals (kudu, waterbuck, impala, baboon, warthog, grysbuk, klipspringer). They are died quickly and didn't really require any tracking at all.

Given the opportunity, I would not hesitate using it on elephant when loaded with the 300 grain Barnes solids at 2,525 fps.

Here is the buff I shot with my 375 H&H

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Shumba,

Firstly: You got a very nice buffalo!

Secondly: You did the right thing to give your buff the second, third and fourth shots! But I wonder how much longer, or even shorter(?) , the beast would have survived if you just stood still after the first shot and let him die quietly on his own, without additional shots to make him pump extra adrenalin?

In good hunting,

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote