Find
Notify
Tools

Mt. Nyala or LD Eland
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've been on the 15 day LDE hunt with Faro West in Cameroon. I've not hunted Mtn. Nyala.

I think LDE is the more striking and more impressive trophy.

I think MTN Nyala is the more challenging trophy.

Most hunters that walk ok, see ok, and shoot ok can get an eland. The nyala, on the other hand, is like a sheep hunt in Africa. Plenty of folks can afford it and lots more would like to do it, but not everyone has the physical ability, shooting ability, and mental toughness to go out and get a mtn nyala.

I would rather read about eland hunting.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thought provoking question: It would have to be Mt. Nyala for me. I've taken the big five along with bongo and LDE (19 days of hunting on two trips) The Mt. Nyala is certainly on my "bucket list".

While African books sell better than Asian, or other hunting destinations, the subject matter is narrow and geared toward a niche market. Only a small percentage of hunters will experience both species. For your project, hopefully they will want to read about it.

Congrats on your fantastic Mt. Nyala and LDE trophies. Best of luck on the book.

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
For those who've hunted neither your input is valued as well. If I gave you $50K and told you to select a safari for LDE or MN which one would you choose?

I haven't hunted either. All else being equal, I'd take a LD Eland over a Mt Nyala every day of the week. If I could get a Mt Nyala like yours though, that might change my opinion. Big Grin

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Derby is a more impressive trophy. I have not hunted Mt. Nyala but when I saw my Derby standing broadside I couldn't believe the sight!

Marc you need to go to the forest. It is an incredible experience. After baying many bongos with dogs I don't think they are as impressive as the Derby but to me the hunting experience is far superior.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys. Read down to the part about asking those with both, since I don't have either, quit reading. For the dollars involved wouldn't hunt either critter, so have no real interest in them.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Marc: After seeing your Mountain Nyala and knowing the story and the significance of it (trophy size), I personally think that it is the most impressive one. Where is Craig (Boddington) to weigh in on this one, as he has some real experience with these trophies as well, having taken all three.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful input everybody. Thanks so very much. Based on your feedback the LDE is a more impressive trophy by nearly a 2 to 1 margin, with a handful of hardcore Bongo hunters out there. Your rationale and explanations will help also.

I'm stuck here in my trophy lodge in Buchanan, Michigan, where we've had 24 inches of snow!
So I've had lotsa down time...doing alot of writing, catching up on unwatched hunting DVD's, reading hunting books and trying to decide which direction to go next...thus this post.

The narrow scope of such a book does concern me. There aren't many hunting videos of either animal as well, which holds down the notoriety and popularity of each species. On the other hand, that's exactly the hook for the publisher.

By and large I agree with most comments; the MN was more of a challenge and the LDE is a striking trophy, just to look at. We've had the 56-incher at our Reno booth. the past two years and it stops people in their tracks.

Mike I won't be in Dallas, just can't swing it. But the lifesize MN and I will be in Reno, booth 1107. So we'll be able to monitor reactions compared to our LDE mount. When I first saw the mount I started shaking. There are not that many lifesize MN mounts out there, and my taxidermist has frozen it in the exact pose moments before it was struck by the bullet. It's a much bigger animal than most people think.

Jason and I took detailed measurements as the trackers skinned it, to preserve the accuracy of it's size. We also enhanced the hi-def footage and zoomed in on it to capture all the folds in the hide and facial character as it was standing. It's the largest living MN ever photographed, so we've gone the extra mile to be true to history. Everybody's welcome to come by the booth to see it. Just mention "AR" and we'll also provide you a gift.

I'm still torn to say which one is the better trophy, but so fortunate God gave me the chance to actually ponder the question.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
You have got some voting here... Eigther for MtN or Lde.

I think my vote goes for Lord Derby Eland!

But, i understand that you have hunted both, and i wonder... What is your personal answer? Which one is the better trophy for you?

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
It is a very difficult question to answer. I personally would love to hunt both, but if given the chance to hunt both, I would probably go on the Mountain Nyala hunt first. I have hunted nyala in KZN and wouldn't mind adding his larger cousin to the trophy room.

I have not hunted eland, yet, so I might have a different answer in the future, but today my vote would be the Nyala.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to vote for the Mt Nyala. LDE seems too much like Brahama Cattle to me.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark why don't you do a review of hunting LDE,MN and Bongo then give us your opinion at the end of the book of the greatest trophy and hunt. That way there is something for everybody and some contaversy!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'll be by to view the Nyala in Reno, slack jawed and drooling, just as I was when I viewied the eland two years ago. I can't wait to mention "AR" and get a goodie! Something free of charge at SCI, that has to be a record! Thanks, Moja.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
We'll be close again. We're still # 928. Look forward to seeing the life size Mountain Nyala.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote