New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Steenbuck experts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Far from an expert here. This steenbok was taken on my first and only Safari to South Africa this past May. It measured 5"

I hope it shows up for all to see.

My PH (in the camo jacket) sure was excited when we saw this little bugger. I had no clue that it was a "good one".

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I shot a Steenbuck in Limpopo this year. I forgot the measurements! He is now at the taxidermist so is unavailable for remeasure. The PH is hunting so is also unavailable. I would like for the knowledgable folks here to give me their best guess on horn length and SCI score. For comparison, the rifle is a Rem. Mod 722. I'm not to concerned about the score, but of course everyone asks me what it is. He's a beautiful little antelope.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I would have to say under five.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey TJ I am not an expert, but there is a 4 inch steenbuck in my photo gallery. He looks similar. Rug

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than guess get the photo out and measure the length of the steenbok's horn as seen on the photo (A). Then pick something on your rifle like the opening of the action and measure it's length as seen on the photo (B). Then go to your rifle and get the actual measurement of the opening of the action (C). This leaves it a simple equation as all things being equal, the ratio of photo lengths versus the real lengths are the same.

So the actual length of the horn (D) = (A x C)/B

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one is just a shade over 3". I would say yours is around 4".

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a jack rabbit with horns.

Did you stalk him or did he just pop up while you were in the truck?

Those small antelopes are tough to find. I shot a duiker once while elephant hunting. We thought we saw a tuskless cow in a heard. I was looking one way my PH the other and I got a tap on the shoulder and saw the shooting sticks up and a half a second later, bang I shot him with a solid. We found him the next morning after tracking him for 2 hours into the darkness of night.

For your question I think by looking at your rifle as a referance probably 4.2569834 inches give or take a half an inch.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
One other thing, it puts your Steenbok about number 35 in SCI.................
Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
TJ,

I'm a measurer for SCI & Rowland/Ward. A Steenbok's ear is 5 inches, look at the horn compared to the ear. A little less than 5 inches would be close. And 2 inches around the bases would be close. I'd give him a SCI score of about 13 12/16. How's that............................

As always, Good Hunting!!!! Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
TJ,

I'm no expert, but here's how mine measured:

LH: 5 RH: 4 14/16 LC:1 12/16 RC:1 12/16

( I was REALLY lucky, BTW!!) From the looks of it I'd have to say your's would be in the 4" range.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres mine--I got the measurments someplace but look at this is it for now, oh and mine was in Limpopo also....

Just found the measurments. Mine was 4.5". Congrats on yours and I am sure it will make a very nice addition to the wall. I was just notified that my mounts will be here in about 3-4 weeks...cant wait

Posts: 318 | Location: People's Republic of New York | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No expert and burned more than once by guessing, but I took a four and a half incher once and yours looks close.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I'n not a steenbuck expert, but will say that you have a very nice trophy. If you hunted it ethically you should be very peased with yourself. There should be no correlation between how pleased you are and the horn length! But yours has horns of such length to put it clearly into the "Shootit!" size bracket.
Congratulations,

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
This chap here was shoot bu my friend Martin Arnet on your safari in 2002 in RSA.
IT is 6" tall

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote