New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meat Eater podcast- Tanzanian PH
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
For those interested, last weeks MeatEater podcast featured a couple of Tanzanian PH's. Not a bad listen.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8033 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
I agree.

I have mixed feelings about some of Meateater's content and their takeover of a lot of outdoor brands but I thought they did a really good job of presenting African hunting in a good light.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's the best spokesperson for hunting at the moment and the only one moving the needle in years. I also see the brand becoming perhaps too big, but he gets people to listen without acting like Ted Nugent.

Posts: 1521 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I like his podcast and his shows, only issue is that most of the stuff they sell they won't ship to Australia. Confused But that's a minor buggerance Big Grin

Yeah the brand is growing but good on him for building a business and employing people in the hunting industry Wink

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8033 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Those PHs are Roger Hurt and Morgan Potter who hunts with Robin Hurts outfit.

It was a good podcast. Steve has annoyed the hell out of me in the past for being pretty critical of African hunters. As “good” as he might be for hunting (and given what meateater has done to fill the game fields it’s debatable) he has a lot to learn about how things work in Africa.

As far as the “brand” yes, it has fairly turned into a shill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well someone should tell him Africans have been eating what they shoot forever, and African beef taste like what I suspect cow dung would taste like..game meat is shot and sold in all the grocerys stores..He needs to pay attention to the dark continent and its morays.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42150 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
He's the best spokesperson for hunting at the moment and the only one moving the needle in years. I also see the brand becoming perhaps too big, but he gets people to listen without acting like Ted Nugent.

check out randy newberg fresh tracks for a good hunting/outdodor/conservation spokesperson good youtube videos and good podcasts, i'll check out the meateater one too but for western big game and conservation in general randy does a great job

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB
Steve has annoyed the hell out of me in the past for being pretty critical of African hunters. As “good” as he might be for hunting (and given what meateater has done to fill the game fields it’s debatable) he has a lot to learn about how things work in Africa.

I agree with your assessment. I am/was a fan of Steve’s, but I’ve lost interest as Meateater moved from being what it was, into the corporate entity that it has become.

And whenever he pontificates on African hunting I just wish that he would STFU and stop putting his ignorance on display.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree, Randy does great and practical videos.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim629:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:

check out randy newberg fresh tracks for a good hunting/outdodor/conservation spokesperson good youtube videos and good podcasts, i'll check out the meateater one too but for western big game and conservation in general randy does a great job

Posts: 1521 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB
Steve has annoyed the hell out of me in the past for being pretty critical of African hunters. As “good” as he might be for hunting (and given what meateater has done to fill the game fields it’s debatable) he has a lot to learn about how things work in Africa.

I agree with your assessment. I am/was a fan of Steve’s, but I’ve lost interest as Meateater moved from being what it was, into the corporate entity that it has become.

And whenever he pontificates on African hunting I just wish that he would STFU and stop putting his ignorance on display.

I think his attitude on African hunting has changed after his conversation with these two gents mate.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

I would not be surprised if his attitude has changed due to being educated on the subject.

As I said, he was about as ignorant on African hunting as your average gun store clerk.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote