New
Find
Notify
Tools

shooting sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i guess I'm really out of touch. my old shooting sticks are 3 old dowels held together with a rubber band. My new SCI catalog has a set in it for only $329.00. I guess I'll have to get in an order quick before I leave for zambia. I'd hate to be out of style while trying to sight in on some old buff.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Yea, right shocker

Those sharpened bottoms are really "high tech".

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch-
Did the add say that the new sticks would take the side to side movement out of the equation?
I seem to have a problem with the side to side movement in my site picture when on the sticks. What is the solution to this? I'd hate to have to put my trigger side elbow on the PH to make a shot. Frowner
If the add states that this would not be a problem, I'd go in with you and split a set. You could have the third stick and I'd could use the two stick set up. Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Yea, right shocker

Those sharpened bottoms are really "high tech".

On second look, it could be the Zebra Tops?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought all African outfitters furnished them?
I have never hunted with a Safari company that didn't have the tracker carrying sticks..I don't use them, but they are there if I happen to change my mind...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The good old native cut 3 poles with an inner tube strip around them that Ray is talking about is the best kind. Everything else is just a way to get your money!
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made mine from 3 bamboo poles from Home Depot and rubber bands and then wrapped the tops with some electrical tape. They work great.

If anyone wants a set I'll be happen to make and send them to you for $329 Shipped Wink and I'll even sharpen the bottoms if you like. rotflmo

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I made the same type as adrook, except I used the much more innnovative vacuum cleaner belts to attach the tops.

In the spirit of competition-I will sell my superior product for $328.99 shipped and custom stencil your name on them with a Sharpie for an additional $19.99 while supplies last. If you order now I will include my secrets to removing side wobble free in the first 1000 orders Big Grin

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But wait, there's more...

This is where you need that obnoxious guy from Oxy Clean to be yelling at you.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adrook, i made my sticks out of bamboo poles but i used a vacuum cleaner belt (giant round rubber band) to hold them together, left 2 longer & put pipe insulation on them

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to make some myself and the pipe insulation idea is a good one. Of course, the ones in Africa will be different so maybe you need to keep that in mind.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I hear Waffenfabrik Hein will make you one for 327.99 and a promised 16 month delivery...jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I did the bamboo pole, vacuum cleaner belt, and I've now bought tennis racquet grip for the tops.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's has a excellent set of shooting sticks (tripod) for $69.99. Strudy and collapsable enough to fit in a travel bag or gun case. (Cabela's Delux Outfitter Tripod)

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The collapsible ones aren't worth much. They flex in an odd fashion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched a guy use "Steady Sticks" in an attempted 300 yard shot at a Mt. Nyala. I could see that they were anything but steady. They were bowing as he breathed. I begged him to just lean forward and use a big root wad that was in front of him but he used the "Steady Sticks" and it was a complete miss. A few days later he used them again but this time it resulted in a wounded Mt. Nyala and the safari was over. Most of the time nature has placed a perfectly steady rest within reach if we'd just use it. When I shot my Mt. Nyala (years ago) I used a 2 1/2 foot stick propped against my right knee. 3 shots at 225 yards... 3 hits you could cover with your hand. If you are out in the open and in knee high grass then those 3 poles and big rubber band are okay. At least they are "steady". Wink
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Just back today from RSA. Used PoleCat aluminum tripod with great results. Left them with the PH as he was most impressed with them.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I bought the Long Grass Sticks. I wish they were a little more sturdy. When I practice rapid fire on the sticks with my 416 I find they bounce and when the feet come back down they are closer together thus raising the height. After the third shot they are too high.

The only other complaint is the Long Grass sticks have no Zebra tops, I think they would look good with my Leopard Band Hat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walmart sell's or did sell a monopod for shooting and camera's. How well do think they will work?

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three hundred bucks for three sticks and a piece of rubber? PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute, and SCI seems to have their net out trolling for a few. Give me a cottin' pickin' break!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion: The biggest problem most people have with shooting sticks is that people do not practice with them. Practice does not always have to be with the "big" guns, but can be with smaller calibers i.e. 204, 223, 308 etc. After you get somewhat use to the sticks then go to your big bore. Monopods are the most difficult for me, then bipods, with tripods being the best.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Maybe the following info will help you. We currently include this recommendation with each set of Long Grass sticks. I think you purchased yours before I had written it up. Hope it helps.

Favorite Shooting Stick Technique

There are various techniques for shooting off of sticks. A few of these variations are described in the Long Grass Shooting Stick Manual. While attending the Houston Safari show this year I learned a new way of shooting off sticks that has become my preferred method. The technique was shown to me by Danie van Ellewee of “Into Africa Hunting Adventuresâ€, Namibia. The method is described below.

-Place the rifle on the shooting V so that the rifle is roughly balanced fore and aft. This placement puts the rifle well forward of most other shooting stick methods.
-Grasp the fore end with your left hand (right handed shooter) with your right hand in the normal trigger position.
-Lower your left elbow until the left fore arm presses against the left stick leg. Apply enough pressure with your fore arm to put some bend in the left stick. It also helps to pull down on your rifle with the left hand. The goal here is to use the stick leg to lean against to reduce horizontal sway.
-Lean slightly into the sticks. (I prefer to adjust my height and balance by locking my knees and spreading my feet rather than bending at the legs.)

I believe there are several benefits to this approach.

1.The tension of the fore arm against the left stick leg reduces horizontal sway, especially in windy conditions. The result is better and more consistent shot placement.
2.The technique provides a firm two handed grip on the rifle and works with a scope or open sights. A two hand grip on the rifle is important to insure control with hard kicking rifles.
3.The sticks stay in position at the shot as you are essentially holding the sticks with the pressure from your forearm. You can work the action and take a follow up shot in the quickest possible manner.
4.The rifle is held tightly to the sticks requiring both to move as a unit when the rifle is fired. This reduces recoil.

As an adjunct to this technique, Danie also demonstrated how your PH can add additional stability by supporting your right elbow. To do this, set up on the sticks as described above. Your PH then cups his hands, palms up, against his mid torso to form a pocket to hold your right elbow. The PH should be standing at a right angle to you while supporting your elbow.

Jerry Rutkowski
Long Grass

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry: Tried your suggestions yesterday. Your technique works. I have taken two trips to Africa and have been successful using the "sticks" provideed by the PH's. Have taken 12 animals. Your method is an improvement. Thanks for the information.

Ed Griffith

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
On my trip this past May to Namibia, I bought AND practiced a lot of a set of sticks made by Bog-Pod. they are collapsible into themselves, have a rubber coated V top that swivels from side to side to make it easy to track an animal you are aiming at and were much steadier than a set of shock corded sticks I also have. In fact the ranch owner licked the sticks enough that I left the sticks there in Namibia with him. I plan on getting anothe set of these before my Nov trip to MT for deer again. I saw these sticks this year when I was at the Dallas Safari show in Jan and practiced shooting off them once a week for about 3 months before my trip, 20 rounds each with a .375 and a .30-06. And I bought myself some archery targets of various US game animals to try and get used to shooting at something other than well defined bulls-eye type targets. I set these targets at 100 and 150 yards when shooting at them off the sticks. In the end it payed off since I came back from the trip with 10 animals and all shooting was done standing with the sticks.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote