New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Drought
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over the past few days the ongoing rains have turned the great Zambezi which was reduced to a trickle a few months ago, into a raging river.

A long time resident at Vic Falls commented that the last time he recalls the river being so high was 12 years ago.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fulvio, when I was last in Zim a few years back it was 500 meters across with a strong current and whirlpools everywhere and it actually got down to a trickle before these recent rains? Are there any pictures of it before the rains? The Zambian poachers probably could have just walked across it.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
fulvio, when I was last in Zim a few years back it was 500 meters across with a strong current and whirlpools everywhere and it actually got down to a trickle before these recent rains? Are there any pictures of it before the rains? The Zambian poachers probably could have just walked across it.

I regret not having any evidence on what I initially announced as I was watching the news and it was being reported by the BBC with a supporting video clip being narrated by a rather elderly White Zimbabwean.

The volume of water and its ferocity was, I must say, quite impressive and while not being a native of the area to offer any comparisons, have no reason to doubt the reminiscences of years gone by this gentleman was making.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Today from Nigel Theisen who has resided in the Falls since 2014: “Yes the Zambezi is definitely rising, but it's still way down from where I have seen it in the short time I've been here. But the "floods" or water that typically dictate the level are still on their way down here, probably end of March April it should be properly in flood with high water levels being reached.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
PS: was there in July...wasn’t down to a trickle then and while it did wane thereafter...Devil’s Cataract was still roaring at lowest level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Matetsi last summer with Gary Hopkins and while Vic Falls was nice, it was dry. texted with Gary a week or so back and he said the rains had been good, though he opined they could use a bit more at Sondeloni.

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Falls has water flowing quite nicely now. The area has been receiving beneficial rains as well as many areas throughout southern Africa. The drought isn't over, but this is the wettest season so far in many, many years.

We need more, but are very thankful for what we have received so far. The wildlife will live for another year.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote