Find
Notify
Tools

Which Way to Upgrade Flight?
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a bit of an issue with my flight to ZIM this summer.

Both the wife and I have Voyager miles expiring in March. We need to use or lose them, but we don't have enough total miles for a free ticket.

We each have enough miles for a one-way upgrade from coach to business. We don't have enough miles to upgrade both the departure and return flights.

What would you do?

1. Upgrade to business on the departure flight from the US to Johannesburg?

2. Upgrade to business on the return flight from Johannesburg to the US?

We will be staying one night in Johannesburg (at Afton Guest House) both on arrival into Jo'burg and before departing Jo'burg. In other words, we arrive Jo'burg and spend the night before departing the next morning for Harare and then chartering to camp. When we leave camp, we will charter from camp to Harare then to fly to Jo'burg and spend the night before departing for the US the next day.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I would upgrade for the return and hope that the excitement and adrenaline of the anticipation would make up for the difference on the way out. You could argue that you would be better rested for the trip if you upgrade on the trip out, but you do have the ovenight for some of that.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the flight home.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Just to add a bit of a wrinkle. Just got an email from the travel agent, it seems if we depart a day earlier (and spend two nights in Jo'burg on arrival) it will save us $500 on airfare ($250 per ticket).

She didn't explain why, but it would change our departure from Friday to Thursday. Are weekend flights more expensive?

So with two days to acclimate on arrival, it would seem that upgrading the return flight may be the best.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had both options before and by far the best choice I made was to upgrade on the return trip! Dangerous Dave

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Just found out that the difference in price is the switch from Shoulder Season to High Season.

If we depart a day earlier, we get a cheaper fare because it is the last day of the Shoulder Season.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Terry- Another option that might be available (at least with Delta and SAA it works), is for one of you to donate your mileage to the other for one free ticket.

Let's say you need 80,000 miles per person for each free round trip ticket. You have 60,000 miles and your wife has 60,000 miles. She can give you 20,000 miles from her mileage and get you a free round trip ticket. This then cuts your ticket expense in half. You may have to pay some money for the transfer of mileage but it's ALOT cheaper than buying a ticket.

Just a thought. Oh, will clean my room tonight. Wink

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
John,

I have done that in the past with American Airmiles. I called SAA and asked if one spouse could transfer miles to another spouse. They said NO. These are SAA miles (their Voyager Program) so they must not be as lenient as Delta or American Airlines.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
A clean room also means a clean closet, young man. Cool

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, must be because Delta is no longer in the same plane game with SAA. My wife and I did just what I mentioned above about a month and a half ago for a trip to Zambia on Delta and SAA.
However, they were in the same "league" at the time.

I'll do the closet then can I go play?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Given that you have two days to relax and get over jet cramp before you start hunting, I'd also go for the upgrade on the return.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Just pony up for the one business class fare for you and the beloved! Right now I am working with Continental to make sure I can get b-class roundtrip before i book...KLM b-class though Amsterdam to Cape Town and back was INCREDIBLE when I went to RSA in 04. Having heard all of the horror stories from the others, I am very reluctant to go coach. However, if you must, then go with b-class on your return...all the free booze will help with the post-safari depression!!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just pony up for the one business class fare for you and the beloved!

If it were only that easy. Last season we used all of our American Miles to fly business class to London then on to Africa.

This year we have switched out our American Airlines credit card for one from United Airlines. Since United is in the Star Alliance and South African Airlines is supposed to join Star Alliance, we hope to accumulate some miles for use on South African Airlines.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I haven't done the flight to Africa myself but I have done plenty of "endurance" flights.

When you know you will be taken care of once you land it makes enduring the miserable easier. Far better to be more comfortable on the trip back. Driving home from the airport after hours of discomfort really really sucks.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Some mileage programs let you buy the needed miles for a reasonable cost. Maybe check into that.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I'd upgrade the one that is the longest. Not sure about to and from Africa, but when going to Asia from the West Coast, it is longer than the other way. Jet stream speeds things up on the way back. But the flight time difference may be negligable to and from Africa.

I'd also look at the cost of purchasing one business class ticket and upgrading the other round trip. Probably more expensive, that way though. But if it doesn't work out, I'm sure that your wife will be fine in business without you... Wink

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
BigB,

I checked with SAA, they have limits on the amount you can buy. We just don't have enough miles to make it work. It still wouldn't work if they would let me transfer my miles to my wife and by the limit of miles.

Steve,

The trip is about one and one-half hours longer coming back. Another reason to upgrade on the return. Thanks for that.

I just don't have enough miles (even if they allowed a spousal transfer and if I bought my limit of miles) to get one business class ticket for free.

Well, since we are about to loose about half of our SAA miles, might as well use them and fly back home with big boys. Wink

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

If you are flying out of, and back into, Dulles on the 747 it will be roomier in coach. Business Class is better of course.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
We are leaving out of JFK and coming back through Atlanta. The evening flight out of JFK is the only one we connect on without staying overnight in Atlanta or Washington. Since we have limited flight options out of our small town, we just can't get into Atlanta or Washington in enough time to make those morning flights. I hate staying overnight in the US on the way. I would rather slug it out in one day.

In the old days, when SAA had only 747s, we used to buy 3 seats in the upper deck. The upper deck was roomier and having 3 seats between the two of us made it really nice. It was much cheaper than buying two business class seats.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will have a tough time doing anything with miles if you intend to go this summer. I booked this summers trip to Harare in Business Class with United/Luftansa miles 11 months early and wasnt able to get the exact dates I wanted.(close though) Upgrades are harder to get than free flights. SHOP EARLY!!!

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Your are right, this late in the game we may not be able to get any upgrades.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I vote for the return also. Going over this year the anticipation and excitement easily overcame the crowded and tight seats. Nothing, not even the SAP could ruin it.

Coming home, it was miserable. Not sure when we would return and knowing we were heading back to work. Give yourself any comfort you can.

Either way - "YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TIME!"

Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote