New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo holders, comments please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for best quality leather ammo holders, 375 and 458, with or without a flap, that slide onto a belt. I have some Westley Richards holders made a few years ago, but their new stuff is not first rate. (Did I spell Westley correctly?) Recommendations appreciated.

Happy New Year to all.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Jenna said she'd carry it for you. You know she LOVES leather Big Grin

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send an email to Tracey Enslin at Safariland Taxidermy (picklesaf@zol.co.zw) and ask her if they can make them for you. I have one they made me for .470 rounds and it's the best ammo holder I ever had...

Posts: 89 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I like my Murray shell Holders (mine are the elastic w/o the flap, but take your pick):

http://www.murraycustomleather.com/shell.htm (use the down arrow to scroll thru the products)

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Heritage Arms (Aleko, a member here) sells some under the Africase name. I have not tried them, but if you do a search here you will see that some members have given them a positive review.

Caveat Emptor and so forth. I use elastic from Uncle Mike's so I am just passing third-hand info along.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
murray custom leather are the best for that ... i have recommended them several times and all have been very happy with the service and work ...dick murray is a very nice guy and will give you some of his time if you call him ...

the only issue with leather is that it shrinks and swells as it gets weathered...i prefer canvas or nylon ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
murray custom leather are the best for that ... i have recommended them several times and all have been very happy with the service and work ...dick murray is a very nice guy and will give you some of his time if you call him ...

the only issue with leather is that it shrinks and swells as it gets weathered...i prefer canvas or nylon ...

I agree. I use open-topped Murray leather carriers. Ten round size for H&H sized cartridges, and eight round size for the larger rounds.

As for weathering, it is unavoidable. Being natural, leather will wear out. An oiling once in a while will prolong its life. I use the stuff they sell for baseball gloves.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The last I bought were the Boyt inexpensive ones from Cabelas in 7x57 and 416Rigby sizes and they worked fine for the 2 months use they got . I just looked at them and cannot tell they have even been on a belt. The leather is good and the stiching is what looks like good nylon. Why pay more if less is fine.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Here's my Boyt leather cartridge holder. It holds 10 magnum cartridges (7mm Mag to .470). It holds my .375 H&H cartridges snugly enough so that they won't drop out when I'm running yet it allows me unrestricted access in the event I need to reload quickly.

It's only about $30 at Cabela's.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Boyt, unless you just want to spend the money for a custom carrier.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
In the picture I'm wearing the Boyt holder with 416Rigby

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use Murray's holders. I have tried other but they were not the same quality.

quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:

I agree. I use open-topped Murray leather carriers. Ten round size for H&H sized cartridges, and eight round size for the larger rounds.

As for weathering, it is unavoidable. Being natural, leather will wear out. An oiling once in a while will prolong its life. I use the stuff they sell for baseball gloves.

Posts: 61 | Location: OH | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Murray's stuff....excellent and he IS a great guy to deal with. I have the leather ones for my doubles and I cut the little "flap" off the bottom so I could push or thumb them up. I told Dick that at SCI...he smiled and said I wasn't alone. His stuff is absolutely first rate.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
If you load the Boyt holder with only five cartridges, alternating full/empty/full...etc., then you can pull them out easier.

Another alternative is to wear a vest or safari jacket that has cartridge holders sewn on it, e.g., Beretta Kalahari Safari Vest or Jacket. Trouble is, it makes you look like Gregory Peck or Clark Gable, so you'll probably get an Ava Gardner, Susan Hayward, or Grace Kelly crawling all over your bod. I guess there are worse things in life.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Since all of my rifles hold at least three down and in 5 safaris I can't think of a scenario where I came close to needing 5 rounds before I had a chance to get back to the truck what I do is...

Drop 1 round in my right front pocket, 1 round in that little coin pocket on the right side, and 1 round in my left front pocket. I now have 1 in the pipe, plus 3, plus 3 for a total of 7 rounds.

Then what I don't do is spend $50 or so an ammo holder, nor do I spend another $100 or so on a fancy knife and cool lookin leather holder, nor $30 or so a piece for two (or is that too) cool safari shirts.

Now that I have saved about $210, I go over to Bev Mo and buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue and few good cigars.

Then when my buddies come over after I get back form the safari, we drink great scotch and smoke cigars while looking at pictures instead of looking at cool ammo holders and knves with cases.

Ah but to each his own... stir Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I don't drink, have a slight case of emphysema from smoking cigars and carry a Swiss knife in my pocket, I figured thirty bucks for an ammo carrier wasn't conspicuous consumption. Plus, it goes well with my jeans and T shirt.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
When you have just let a buff or Ele have one soft and three solids its a good feeling to do follow up with more than two solids one one soft.
I like to have a minimum of twelve solids and two softs on me.
A good friend once told me "it better to look at them than look for them"

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
OZ,

I guess I will splurge and put one in each back pocket. Now I'll have 9 Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
9 until you you butt crawl and loose three Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Detorre

Drop 1 round in my right front pocket, 1 round in that little coin pocket on the right side, and 1 round in my left front pocket. I now have 1 in the pipe, plus 3, plus 3 for a total of 7 rounds.

You reloading or you doing the macarena?

Namibiahunter

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
NH,

Actually, I use the technique so I can scratch my balls and everybody things I am really just looking for ammo.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
NH,

Actually, I use the technique so I can scratch my balls and everybody things I am really just looking for ammo.

clap

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Use a single-shot rifle. That way you don't need or have to carry extra rounds. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I carry the Texas Hunt Company nylon shell holders... They are spaced so one is able to pull 2 cartridges at one time...

http://www.texashuntco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=6

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Retreever,

Now that is a neat set up...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Texas Huntco owner, Jeff Wemmer, posts on AR. The products are superb and Jeff is a good guy too. Helps that he is a Texan. Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I use. Softs in the belt and solids in the Galco flap carrier.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best in my opinion are the ones offered by Mark Sullivan. You can see them on his site www.nitroexpresssafaris.com I own and use both the Boyt and Murry's and they are nice, but none compare to the quality of Sullivan's. They are not cheap but are worth it, I beleive Galco makes them for him.

Maineguide

Posts: 75 | Location: Dover NH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but...he's sold out of all but three calibers. And the price is very, very high.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg - Who makes the belt you have?

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
This is what I use. Softs in the belt and solids in the Galco flap carrier.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry- It was a belt that I bought at Cabelas a few years ago. Don't know who made it but it has served me well. Can't seem to find it in any of the five thousand catalogs Cabelas sends me each year. Big Grin
Must be discontinued. Frowner

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess you guys are better shots than I, or something. I took 40 rounds to Namibia on a leopard/plains game hunt, and come home with 5.
Used 3 on leopard, 2 of which were at one running across a rock face on a kopje.
Two to put down a blind kudu.
Three to recheck zero after a very nasty fall.
One for a zebra.
One for a Springbok.
One for a 58" kudu that volunteered. Who would turn that down?
One for a gemsbok.
Several for bait (warthog, impala)
Some for insurance, and a couple of misses.

That's why I carry extra ammo.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Detorre

You reloading or you doing the macarena?

Namibiahunter

NOW THIS IS FUNNY!!!

Another vote for Murry's belts. Galco make a very nice five round flap covered holder if that fits your tastes.

BTW, with all leather holders or belts, its a good idea to spin the cartridges once in awhile and before an approach to make sure they do not stick. It takes but a second or two.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care for leather cartridge holders because or what leather does to brass. I don't care for nylon or elastic holders because the start losing their elasticity after a few uses. I much prefer the Desert Belt by San Pedro Saddlery, which looks like the old west prairie belt. It doesn't loosen up or corrode cartridges. My belt holds 50 cartridges however never than more than 20 have been placed in it. So far I've "lost" two to professional hunters who have come to appreciate the belts. For my .375 H&H I use the one for .45-70 and for the .416 Rigby, I use the .50-70 belt. I dyed the canvas on mine olive drab green. Oh, they are affordable.

http://www.sanpedrosaddlery.com/frames.htm

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote