Find
Notify
Tools

Headed to Dallas to Book a Safari
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Headed out tomorrow to Dallas for the Safari Show. Going to try and get something booked for this season in ZIM.

Looking for buffalo and cow elephant (or two buffalo) plus sable, giraffe, 2 zebra, bushbuck, kudu (and anything else that stands still long enough).

Going to talk to HHK, Buzz Charlton, Mokore Safaris (Barrie Duckworth), Tshabezi Safaris (Dudley Rogers), Chifuti Safaris and Swainson's Safaris.

Plan on seeing a few of you while I'm there.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Hope to see you there. I too am looking to book a safari at the show. I'm giving very serious consideration to an elephant hunt in Botswana with Greg Butler Safaris book through Adam Clements. $17,500 includes everything, even license and trophy fee. Can expect 40-50 Lb tusks. Plains game for trophy fees. If I book this, I probably will never be able to hunt lion, leopard or sable. I will have shot my wad. Any advise?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
STB - -

advise? go for it!!!!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Scott,

That is a heck of a deal. A couple of years back I got an elephant and buffalo deal for $16,000 (all inclusive) in ZIM and I thought that was the deal of the century.

That is a steal, I would say do your homework and then go for it. There is nothing like elephant hunting. It can't be matched.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you share the particulars of the hunt in Botswana with us. I, too, am looking for a hunt this year and Botswana seemed to be too expensive to hunt. The $17,000.00 for Buff and Elephant and other plains game is one I would like to do.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Terry,
That was a hell of a deal! I haven't been to Zim and long to do so as it appears to still be wild country. I'm torn between this hunt and say leopard/sable in Zim. But, as you have expressed, elephant hunting is reputed to be the most exciting of all.

Lb404,
The offer is through Adam Clements at www.safaritrackers.com but it doesn't include buffalo. Like you, I too never thought I could afford Botswana, that is why I'm so excited. Realize however, that the expectations are 40-50lbs, which is smaller than what one thinks of when considering Botswana.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Scott,

What's your email address? I have two for you, I know you got a new email.

Email me at bunduki@sbcglobal.net

WE NEED EMAIL capability on this board!!!!

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am going to Dallas to book my first Safari. I am going to Zambia to hunt Buff and Kudu. Presently looking at Swan/Scan. Any other ideas? I have looked at Leopard Safaris also. both are very expensive. Do i go for 7 or 10 days?

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Sprig,

Go for 10 days, it will give you a chance to be a little more selective on the buffalo. Do you have a long list of plains game you want? If so, maybe 12 days.

I hunted Swan Scan in Tanzania and had a few problems. So I am kind of luke-warm on them.

Don't know Leopard Safaris (Leopard Ridge Safaris, perhaps?).

Other outfitters in Zambia with good reputations are Muchinga Safaris (John du Plooy) and Balla Balla. Balla Balla is a ranch hunt. Balla Balla will be at Dallas. I don't think Muchinga will be at Dallas.

Why did you pick Zambia for your first safari? Zimbabwe can offer buffalo and plains game hunting at cheaper prices.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
See if Ernst Scholz is at Dallas with Tanzania Game Trackers. I've hunted three times with Ernst (twice Namibia, once Tanzania) and he's an excellent hunter.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bullsprig:
Presently looking at Swan/Scan. Any other ideas? I have looked at Leopard [Ridge?] Safaris also. both are very expensive. Sprig

You are at the high-end here. I hunted w/S&S in Tanz and had an overall positive experience. If you hunt w/S&S in Zambia - hunt with Dave Rademeyer. I spent ~7-days in a camp w/him and he's very professional yet w/a sharp (dry) sense of humor, works dawn-to-dusk plus, and is a good guy to be around. He's from Zim...

Again, consider Johnny Du Plooy's operation, or Peter Chipman in Lower Lupande where there is no charter. Ditto w/the Upper Lupande, but I'm not sure who is hunting it this year.

Go for 10-days.

TERRY - Good luck, let us know what you selected, and why. HHK's hard to beat in Zim for DG AND PG. Cheers!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Who is HHK? I am going to Zambia because I will have family there and I just decided from a simplicity and co-ordination standpoint it would be easier to hunt there. I am planning to hunt with Dave Rademeyer if I hunt with SWAN/Scan.

Sprig

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Sprig - HHK is the largest hunting company in Zimbabwe at the moment. They have many of the prime big game hunting concessions as well as a top plainsgame area (Lemco). Over the last few yeas, due to their connections and money, they have taken over the marketing rights for numerous other operators. They are known for running good camps, getting trophies shipped on time, and having some of the best PH's. Of course within the Zim hunting community, there is respect combined with resentment. Others on the forum have hunted with them, and there are quite a few posts if you search the board. As much of the private land is now illegally held in Zimbabwe, they are one of the few outfitters that can offer a "good" big game (ele, buffalo, lion) plus plainsgame hunt (hunt one of their big game concessions for buffalo and maybe a few plainsgame...then relocate to Lemco for the "good" plainsgame hunting including species sable, eland, waterbuck, etc...for example). But, they are not the cheapest, ~$11,000 for a 10-day buffalo hunt plus charters per their 2005 price list on the web.

Comparing this scenario to Zambia, one can relocate from the Luangwa Valley to one of the large private concessions [ranches] for more unique game if desired. I think one can actually hunt more plainsgame in the "buffalo concessions" in Zambia, then in Zimbabwe, given availability and quota. Not everybody is up on Zambia, as the country was closed for hunting for 2-2.5 years.

HHK's website is at: http://www.hhksafaris.com. In Zim, I prefer a smaller outfitter/PH (like Buzz Charlton, others take to John Sharp, etc) with whom I can work with one-on-one with, organize semi-custom hunts with, etc...but this is totally a mater of personal preference. If I would have hunted Zim first w/HHK, I may have a totally different opinion.

I wouldn't dismiss Zambia, especially given your unique situation of being there for other reasons.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Thanks for the reply.

Are you familiar with the Mumbwa East concession next the Kafue NP in Zambia? Is a Buff and Kudu realistic in 7 to 10 days. I would be hunting with Dave Rademeyer.

Thanks Sprig

one of us
posted Hide Post
you guys are killing me, if I book another hunt before I take my wife on a real vacation she is going to kill me, divorce me and take what little money I have left.

I just spent two weeks in Mexico hunting and left here at home, she is pissed.

I may have to suck it up and take her to Italy on some touchy feely vacation.

Keep in mind, I was late for my own wedding, tracking a wildebeast.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. I am taking my wife to Dallas SCI this weekend so that she will let me go to South Texas next week deer hunting.

I will take her to Zambia with me this summer.

You have to get the kitchen pass first.

sprig

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
My 416 Rigby arrived today from Shumba, I'm packed, have check book in hand, the boss O.K.'D as much as four weeks in a row off for the spring of 2006, and I'm headed to Dallas looking for a safari. Ain't life grand!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Terry. Hope the meetings are successful for you. Tell Graham I said "hi" and will see him in September. He confirmed booking today.

Thanks for helping me get this arranged and talking with me last week.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote