New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Remington Core Lokt Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience shooting African plains game with Remington Core Lokt ammo? If so I would like to know your results. I have a large amount of .375 in Remington, .270 grain Core Lokt that I could use if I was comfortable shooting Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Zebra and Springbok with this ammo.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a wild pig with the 270 RP Core Lokt.

And I have shot wild pigs with the 286 Woodleigh Soft and the 286 Nosler Partition out of my 9,3x74R, that I HAVE shot kudu, impala, and several zebras with...

So baised on that, I would not hesitate to hunt the game you have mentioned, with the 270 RP Core Lokt.

I have also found that ammo to be very accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You should have no problems using them on the game animals you have mentioned at all

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67010 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
They will work on all plains game...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those 270 gr bullets are Horandy InterLocks, and work just fine.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
strapman,

25-30 years ago the Remington 270 gr Core Lokt load was one of the very few factory loads available for the 375. At that time I was living in Alaska and several people I knew used that load on everything including brown bears with complete satisfaction. I never used it personally for hunting but it shot incredibly well in my factory Remington. There is nothing sexy or trick about the load but it works very well for soft skinned game. For your plains game hunt it will be fine and leaves some big wound channels and blood trails.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In my rifles it is very accurate ammunition. I haven't used it on game.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
In my rifles it is very accurate ammunition. I haven't used it on game.

Yeah, me too.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Those 270 gr bullets are Horandy InterLocks, and work just fine.

I believe that Terry is correct in that the core-loct is a hornaday interlock.

I will go against the grain.... I have used the 270gr Hornaday interlock in 375H&H on Kudu, warthog, gemsbok, and hartebeest. They will kill these animals, but they are a bit lacking in penetration.

I found that these bullets would not penetrate the offside ribcage on kudu and gemsbok when shot through the shoulder.

Finding my bullet stopped in the soft tissue between the offside ribs is not my idea of adequate penetration. It does not have to exit the animal to make me happy, but I would like to have it exit the ribcage at the very least.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the load for the animals you mentioned and have used it successfully in Africa on plainsgame and one lion. It also thumps elk nicely!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A note on Hornady Interlock 270's...they no longer offer the round nose bullet for reloaders. Spire point, only, and that was a very bad decision on their part for me. The round nose shot very accurately in my rifle, but the spire point is unacceptable.

I have a box of the Remington loads that I'm hoarding. May take a couple of rounds to TZ on my upcoming hunt to use on PG.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The Remington core-lokt design goes back at least 40 years, well preceding the Hornady interlock I believe ...

Actually it was 60 years, ...

http://www.remington.com/produ...erfire/core-Lokt.asp

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The story is that Hornaday manufactures them for Remmington.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Would this be the same bullet that Hornady currently uses in it's .375 line up as the "270 grain SP-RP"?
I have this bullet in their .375 Ruger factory load #8231. Neither their website or box describes this as an Interlock. Instead, they say SP-RP stands for "spire point, recoil proof". They look similiar to the Corelokts but the exposed lead is near flush with the jacket and does not come to a true point.
They are also very accurate from my Ruger Hawkeye African. Will not have penetration information for another 17 days. Big Grin

ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Your going to get LOTS of penetration .

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My boxes of Rem 375 ammo make no mention of core-loct. Nor is any such advertised anywhere I can find.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I think the default bullet for Remington has been the Core Lokt for many, many years.

They haven't always done so, but fairly recently they have taken to spelling it out on the box flap.

The newest rendition of the Core Lokt is a bonded core bullet.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
Your going to get LOTS of penetration .

From my own experiences with the 270 Hornaday(cor-loct), I disagree.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I agree with JBrown, for a non-premium bullet (you can buy them in bulk 1000 at a time), they are very good non-premium bullets. The won't hold up as well as any of the premium bullets (Partiions, A-Frames, Woodleighs, TSX's etc). The technology (before they started bonding them at least) is very simple. I do think if Woodleigh would incorparate the Core-Lokt feature in their Protected Point bullets, the complaints of over expansion in some cases particulary when they hit something hard (shoulder bone, etc) right off before they have to penetrate would disappear. Or maybe Remington would pay Woodleigh to lisence ttheir bonding process which is excellent.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Just do a double lung shot and walk over to your trophy. I have used this round out of my 338 Win Mag on black bear, elk, and whitetail deer. Avoid big bones. Shoot them in the chest and it looks like a grenade went off inside! Jeff

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a pre 64 Model 70 that loved them. I used them for plains game up to and including eland. Never had a problem with them other than the fact I could not get them within three inches of 300 grain solids. I later switched to 300 grain softs which were within an inch of the solids.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I used them on American Bison (one box only). Neck (spine) and heart shots at close range. Killed them, as Saeed said, but not a great bullet.

Would not use them so far away from home.

Lowest retained weight and penetration of any bullet I used on bison, including the 235 grain Speer.

For a better conventional bullet, see if you can buy some Winchester Power Points. These are a ductile and thick (0.049 inch) brass jacket w copper coating.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What do you think about this load for Lion?

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote