New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remembering Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
During the winter I sit back and look at my trophies and pictures and read over my journals and think back to the hunt. Do you guys/girls every ask yourself, "Was I really their??" "How long ago was that now?"

I was just reading the boards and thinking '08 was a long time off for me to get back to Africa. Hopefully I will get their before then. I was just thinking that sometimes times flies by and hunts that seemed to be just around the corner are already over and you have to look at your pictures to convince yourself you were really there.

Maybe I am just having Africa withdraws...

Is that a disease?????

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
You're among fellow addicts.

I concur to all of the above.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
I have never been there ... but I dream of what is to be...come the 1st of July

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My withdrawal starts as I board the plane to leave Africa. I am addicted to Africa and think and dream about my trips and future trips at least several times a day.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I am just having Africa withdraws...

Is that a disease?????

Yes, it is a disease and there is only one cure - you must get back to Africa!

I know because I have it bad and I spend most of my free time plotting and scheming to see if I can't get back there regularly and frequently.

Every trip I have made to the Dark Continent has been longer than the one before and everytime I have extended my trip and found every excuse to stay as long as I can. My PH's wife has commented that she hates it when it gets towards the end of my trip because she can see how much I don't want to leave and they almost feel they have to put me on the plane at gunpoint!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since I am in Africa frequently on business, its sort of like being strung along on methadone rather than the real thing. But addicted I truly am. It is very difficult for me to arrange a business trip to Africa without thinking about trying to fit in some sort of a hunt. I managed to do it last October (and duly submitted my Hunting Report to AR) but 3 days, while better then nothing, just doesn't compare to total immersion for a couple of weeks.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think everyonne who has been to Africa experiences some kind of withdrawl symtoms and dreams of going back most start planning that trip on the way back from the first. I was showing pictures of our trip to a friend recently and she remcommended that I write out what the animals are on the back of the picture. Right as if I could forget something like that.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A year ago at this time I was in the planning stages for my first trip ever to the dark continent. I remember telling everyone it would be my "once in a lifetime" trip.

Now looking back six months later I can't believe yet that my trip came and went so fast. I find myself dreaming of another "once in a lifetime" trip. Maybe next year???

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GRR:
A year ago at this time I was in the planning stages for my first trip ever to the dark continent. I remember telling everyone it would be my "once in a lifetime" trip.

I know I never used that phrase "once in a lifetime trip," but my wife swears I did. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I think I was starting to formulate plans for a second one before I even left for my first.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
A couple of you guys have used the phrase "once in a lifetime trip" - I said the same thing and also said that I was going (on my first trip) to get the urge to hunt Africa "out of my system"!

......boy, how naive I was!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I returned on Tuesday, Jan 31, after a 7 day hunt, and after a 10 day hunt from Jan 5 to 15th. Yes, 2 hunts in January (also combined with business trips).

YET I am almost ill with withdrawl....already planning when I can go next- looks like March....

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's both a disease and an addiction. And to make matters worse, I have colored pics of all of my African trophies in my office. When I go home at night I have all of the mounted trophies in a big trophy room, with books about Africa lying about the house in numerous places. Then there's all of the magazines that arrive throughout the month, along with various television channels showing Africa and African Hunting. Then there's my collection of African videos, numerous display cases in the house with African masks, carvings, bowels, figurines, tusks, etc. etc. There's also the African paintings throughout. . .and lest I forget to mention all of the jewelry, rings, clothing, necklaces and adornments that the family occasionally wears. It's a very terrible disease and addiction. How can anyone stand to wait for a cure until 2008?

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
UEG

You have it really bad.............Not much hope left for you.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
No. The only TEMPORARY fix will be to return in August 2006.