Tools

New PG rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted

Long range fly culling rifle. Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some real issues with fly culling Steve. Are they free range or pen raised? High fenced no doubt. And here is the main thing, if a fly isn't past breeding age another male will move into the pride and kill all the fly cubs so it can breed the flyionesses.

Please make sure that the fly you kill is a bull and past it's prime. You can tell because their wingtips turn brown. Further more the baiting of flies is unethical. Please only shoot free ranging, mature, hard bossed flies with brown wing tips.

Oh yeah enjoy your hunt and be sure and post a hunt report on AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve left out the website. It is bugasalt.com.

Looks like fun.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Careful...it's the dead ones that will kill you.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one.....it works in killing th BOOM e fly....about half the time. It is very deadly on spiders however.

Posts: 225 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I have some real issues with fly culling Steve. Are they free range or pen raised? High fenced no doubt. And here is the main thing, if a fly isn't past breeding age another male will move into the pride and kill all the fly cubs so it can breed the flyionesses.

Please make sure that the fly you kill is a bull and past it's prime. You can tell because their wingtips turn brown. Further more the baiting of flies is unethical. Please only shoot free ranging, mature, hard bossed flies with brown wing tips.

I must take exception to this. First off, are flies raised in the confines of my warehouse free range or pen raised? After all, fair chase is what I'm all about.

Second, Is it considered baiting to wait over a glazed doughnut for a fly to lite?

Is it bad form to just desire a high body count?

I can't field judge flies for crap, I just whack-n-stack.

Smiler

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but such a weapon is unethical for use on flies.

Ethical methods do include use of a .22 LR and popping them when they alight on paper targets hung at 50 yards and beyond.

Also, as with leopards, it's fine to bait them. I have found that a little honey smeared on the target works wonders!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, wait a minute! Mopane or TseTse flies? Pen raised or wild? You probably need to check the forum for opinions before you decide to see if it is ethical or even accepted. jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy one but I can't hit a flying target for the life of me.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

I must take exception to this. First off, are flies raised in the confines of my warehouse free range or pen raised? After all, fair chase is what I'm all about.

Second, Is it considered baiting to wait over a glazed doughnut for a fly to lite?

Is it bad form to just desire a high body count?

I can't field judge flies for crap, I just whack-n-stack.

Smiler

fly judging is really hard. is it a horse fly, blue fly, house fly?? the trophy criteria is different for each. and even though i approve of the whack-em-and-stack-em fly philosophy, the fact remains that like Brother Nugent, you can't waste the meat, especially the back straps. finding a food bank willing to accept such a generous donation might be a problem......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fly judging is really hard. is it a horse fly, blue fly, house fly?

Well obviously the Horse fly and the Tse Tse fly are dangerous game and thick skinned. So he wouldn't be using a PG rifle on those. DUH!!

As far as the blue fly and the house fly go. Judging the trophy is easy. It just takes lots of experience and time in the field. There a couple of PH's who can put you on the good bulls. Buzzzzzz Chilem is one, and you should read the book "Vermin Swatting in the Long Drop", A true tale of the fly hunters of the Poopaloango region. By B.O. Smells the 3rd. The man was a fly killing machine.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
fly judging is really hard. is it a horse fly, blue fly, house fly?

Well obviously the Horse fly and the Tse Tse fly are dangerous game and thick skinned. So he wouldn't be using a PG rifle on those. DUH!!

As far as the blue fly and the house fly go. Judging the trophy is easy. It just takes lots of experience and time in the field. There a couple of PH's who can put you on the good bulls. Buzzzzzz Chilem is one, and you should read the book "Vermin Swatting in the Long Drop", A true tale of the fly hunters of the Poopaloango region. By B.O. Smells the 3rd. The man was a fly killing machine.

surestrike, you are rolling thunder on this subject. LMAO.

Thanks, Steve, and thanks surestrike. The notions of flyionesses and thick skinned DG flies are gonna stick with me.

The horse flies and tse tses are definitely the DG of flies. Black flies, too. I must amend my above post to insist on an ethical minimum of .375 H&H Magnum for them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horse flies...I am pondering the use of rock salt vs. ordinary table salt. You think straight-line penetration will be adequate with table salt?

Is the prescribed effective range of three feet is fair?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way I'm taking that little pop gun after wild Tsetse Flies.

In fact I bet Mark Sullivan wouldn't even risk it, unless it was for a video so he could make some cash on the enormous risk.

Actually, I bet it doesn't meet the minimums for shooting Tsetse flies in any subsaharan country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

[QUOTE]

Smiler

I'm getting old, and spot and stalk is getting difficult. I'm going to have to bait if I am ever going to kill anything.

I am concerned with the cost of bait like glazed doughnuts, primarily because my hunting lease (backyard) is next to a Sheriff's Deputy on one side and a State Trooper on the other. Has anyone used this bait with so many scavengers around?
thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
quote:

[QUOTE]

Smiler

I'm getting old, and spot and stalk is getting difficult. I'm going to have to bait if I am ever going to kill anything.

I am concerned with the cost of bait like glazed doughnuts, primarily because my hunting lease (backyard) is next to a Sheriff's Deputy on one side and a State Trooper on the other. Has anyone used this bait with so many scavengers around?
thanks in advance.

rotflmo

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
For tsetse and horse flies, rock salt is the legal minimum due to how hard it is to penetrate their vital organs and avoid dangerous follow up. for soft skinned flies table salt will suffice. even better might be raw brown sugar as you could kill them and bait for others at the same time.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
be careful with your shot placement, dyu use shooting sticks?

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 135 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously a double is preferable for quick follow-up shot over bolt rifle trash, or that abomination pictured above.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I would buy one but I can't hit a flying target for the life of me.

Well, the stock is short enough, IT might fit you. hilbily

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a genuine bespoke dangerous fly rifle to me!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned Mark Sullivan. I can just see him provoking a charge and manhandling his client into place by the scruff of his neck ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

Long range fly culling rifle. Big Grin

These are a lot of fun. I bought a dozen of them when they were crowd funding them to try to get started. I gave them as Christmas presents and I was the favorite cousin that year. We still use them on the deck and in the house. Within about 2 feet, flies and spiders don't stand a chance. WARNING: if you shoot bees and wasps with them you will really piss them off. They really don't like that. Great fun!!

NOTE: If you get one of these and it stops working, don't throw it away. Contact the company and let them know. There are repair parts available and a very good video on their website showing how to disassemble and reassemble it.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, now we will have another AR member lost because he was shooting the wrong gun. I can see it now, "Hunter killed by wounded bumblebee after jumping it in thick brush".
All I can say is have someone back you up with at least a can of raid before going out.

For real I hope you have fun with that, and keep us posted on kill numbers.

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Are any of these things edible? Does Federal Wildlife get excited about importing trophy wings?

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tsetses are armour plated. This won't work. It'd be like a .375 on elephant or buffalo. You'll just piss them off and cause a charge. Not something anyone wants to do. :-)

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who can get you a decent piece of walnut if you want to change the stock.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
If you take a dump out in the bush, does that count as illegal baiting of flies?

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I would only use this on black flies if it is controlled-round feed.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote