New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. 1886 45-70 for Buff, anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going over to Zim this summer...Thinking of taking a Win. 1886 in 45-70. Anyone know of somebody that has done this, or, at least has shot Buff with a 45-70?

No joke! - My data suggests the the 45-70 with a 400 grainer @ 2018 (56 gr. AA 2015 BR, ref. Speer #13 manual) can be safely loaded to get the results necessary to bring down the bigg'n. The same bullet out of the .458 win Mag. for example loaded @ 74 gr. (same powder) gives 2386 fps...not a huge difference! Especially at Buff ranges!!

With all of the "Hat" talk lately thought I'd throw in some rifle related nostalgia!

Anybody game - five shots - really quick!

OK Ballisticians have at it!

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff
Why don't you do a search with 45-70 and buffalo. You will have all the reading material that you can hope for and we won't have to beat that dead horse again.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha Terry....BUT...Was hoping to connect with some folks thathave hunted over yonder with vintage 1886s!

WILCO on the search,

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the search! Moot point!

Dang I hate some aspects of this "modern" era!

We all know that the 45-70 would more than adequately dispatch any Buff!

But, hey, that's the regs and I ain't going to be the guy that makes Mr. Mugabe (sp.) any more $$ than I have to!

Out for now,

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can still use an 1886 for plains game such as eland and giraffe. But isn't that load a bit hot for a vintage rifle?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah "500" it's getting up there, but remember that the '86 is one of the strongest lever actions ever made. Given that the buff shoot is out - loading down and going with lighter pills for "Plainsers" will remedy any scare of overloading the rifle.

Have to think that bust'n "Boons" with a fast handling lever gun will be the best!

JW

one of us
Picture of DRB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah "500" it's getting up there, but remember that the '86 is one of the strongest lever actions ever made. Given that the buff shoot is out - loading down and going with lighter pills for "Plainsers" will remedy any scare of overloading the rifle.

Have to think that bust'n "Boons" with a fast handling lever gun will be the best!

Jeff,

What language is this you are talking???? Confused Are you really going to Zim later this year and if so where and with who??

Regards
Dave

Posts: 179 | Location: Durbanville, RSA | Registered: 15 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,

What is this, "20 questions"? (heh, heh)

At any rate, momma always did tell me to be kind to strangers. So, I'll graciously oblige your inquiries.

West Texan is the dialect (yep, just another redneck).

Yesssir, we are going over in June and will be hunting with the "Loveld Hunters". I believe our dates are 10-19 June. Wanna go?

First trip for me to the Dark continent and looking forward to it. No big deal though, we're used to much more dangerous game than some overgrown Angus with the scowls! Go to my site www.specopsbrand.com and you'll see what we're up to.

Looking forward to your response - any helpful "Buff hunting" tips would be appreciated.

Gotta go - new M-4 sling in the works!

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice site Jeff, I am a tactical p-rigger myself but still on active duty.

The boys from Rifle magazine did a Botswana buffalo hunt with a .50 BP express 1886 rifle. I think with modern loads and a 45-70 you will have no problem.

Your PH might want to buy your gun after the whole thing is over. Beware!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,

Appreciate the mention RE our site.

Contact me over at my URL, get me an address and I'll send you out some goodies to T & E!

Always like to hear the opinion of a "Rigger" regarding our gear!

Reckon I'll take a .50-110...wonder if that's leagal in Zim? Never thought I'd see the "PC" cops invade Africa too!

Thanks for your service to this nation!

Give me a yell jeff.wemmer@specopsbrand.com

Out here,

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand West Texas, its my favorite language..

As you know I am not a fan of the 45-70 on big animals, I have seen it used on elk and bison and know some folks who used it on Cape Buffalo and it didn't fare well on any of the animals I saw shot, albiet it killed them but kinda slow in doing that was my take..

One of our Idaho outdoor writers wrote an ariticle about shooting a Buffalo with the 45-70 and he got it done and was proud as punch, but the buff went a mile or two and he shot him more than a few times. Had he charged and no PH was handy, the results would have been poor at best IMO.

My suggestion to most lever fans is a 50-120, now that ought to be a buffalo gun for sure..even a 50-110 perhaps...

But at any rate a hunter paying for a Safari should be allowed to use whatever he desires, and we certainly allow that, in fact encourage it as it adds to our education and we always learn from it...and you experimenters will always have a PH with a 500 Jefferys to back you up around our outfit...

I have not used the 45-70 on anything but deer and one elk..I have used the 45-90 a bit more, but I have observed them used on more than a few ocassions...

My suggestion to anyone who wants to use a 45-70 on Cape Buffalo do themselves a favor and book a $2750. Bison hunt with me first and give a bison a heart/lung shot and observe, besides the bison hunt is a really neat hunt and they are wild..I have them in Idaho and Nebraska on pretty large ranges.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote