Tools

A Question About Buffalo Bosses
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
What makes a buffaloes boses either smooth like this:

Or with character like this:

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The level of fiber in their fat free diet. Contributing factors could include life style choices, PSA levels, the amount of daily exercise, sexual preferences, restricting caffiene and salt intake, genetics, immune deficiencies, the extent of physical and psychological scarring from close encounters, and identification of paternal contributors.

The effects of global warming have not yet been assessed.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

The difference between horn character is purely genetics and age. The older they get the "smoother" the boss gets from rubbing against trees, bushes, mud, etc. Its a bit like sand paper effect.

The first buff in your pics is a lot younger than the second one. Once a buffs' boss has hardened, they often have rough ridges and grooves which smooth out with years of rubbing (as in your 2nd pic). Also an old wound can add character to a boss. In 4-5 years time, your 1st buffs' bosses would look like the 2nd buff.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Age.

The first one looks less mature and a bit soft in the boss to me. Also it still has hard points, less worn down. I would pass up the first buff no matter how long it is.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not be too keen on shooting the first buffalo. I bet a bunch of his boss boiled away.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Is a soft boss actually spongey to the touch? How old must a buff be before it hardens?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
The level of fiber in their fat free diet. Contributing factors could include life style choices, PSA levels, the amount of daily exercise, sexual preferences, restricting caffiene and salt intake, genetics, immune deficiencies, the extent of physical and psychological scarring from close encounters, and identification of paternal contributors.

Eeker Who'd of thunk?

I thought it was age too.

Shows what little we actually know.

jumping

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'm with 500 grains on this one.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
quote:

Eeker Who'd of thunk?

I thought it was age too.

Shows what little we actually know.

jumping

It's whodda thunk to you city folks. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

You left out the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation, chlorofluorohydrocarbons and sexually transmitted diseases, but I think you're on the right track. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2nd buffalo I shot was a dugga boy that was traveling with one other. He was not huge, but the top of his boss seemed pretty rough. In fact, it seems like a portion of the top layer of his boss actually cracked off.

Tim

P.S. - Hey SBT, what do you think of the rifle I'm holding in the photo? Looks to be a proven "DG Killer". Glad you did it proud in Zambia!

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Ruger RSM .458 Lott, is it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a Ruger 416 Rigby that will shoot most any type of 400 grain bullet into the same hole at 100 yards.

Of course, like a dummy, I sold it to SBT and he then proceeded to take it to Zambia and terrorize a poor little lion and buffalo with it. Big Grin

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
You gotta love the boss on Shumba's bull!

By the way Shumba, only SBT has the magic with your rifle. I tried it on a Hartebeest about a 100 yards away and missed.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote