Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A Fair and Just Death
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
I believe NitroX's theory has some merit, but what bothers me is when a hunter insists on not taking a follow up shot solely to be able to claim a "one shot kill". As NitroX said, every situation is different and may require a different response, but a decision to shoot or not to shoot based upon such a trivial reason as a " one shot kill" is wrong.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only taken one Buffalo, and I delivered one very good shot and very close range whereupon the animal took off in the direction of the river.

Our ph, in an amazing display of wisdom well beyond his years, stated that we would wait at least 15 minutes before following up.

Not having heard any bellows, death or otherwise, we prepared to follow up in the dense bottom in which we had encountered this buffalo in what I, as a former military man and student of war, can only be described as a "meeting engagement."

Gathering our force; putting all our guns on line; and putting non-combatants (those without guns) behind us; we moved out in the direction the buff had gone. In ten yards we saw him, lying on his side. An insurance shot proved that he was stone dead. After 15 minutes, he was anything but cold.

There is something to be said for waiting a bit before following up if you have fired for as long as you can at the departing animal. It may have the good grace to die. It may become sicker and stiffer which is a definite advantage in country where you are doing great to see 10 yards ahead. It may be waiting for you, in which case, you'd better hope it is very sick and stiff. Or it may have crossed the river and be gone forever which could be an expensive trophy fee, but less expensive than several weeks or months in the hospital.

I am for shooting as they depart and then waiting a while before following up. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question. (Assuming the 1st shot is on target)On the follow up shots, are you trying to deliver another lethal blow to the animal or do you just try to break them up so they slow down or wont travel far?

GTR

Posts: 111 | Location: florida | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
One shot ( properly placed of course ) with the .600 Overkill with Woodleigh 900 gr SP at 2500 fps from no more than 25 ft away will of course strike the Buff with a MIGHTY BLOW causing it to immediately lose consiousness from the gaping 6 inch wound channel which now exists stem to stern.
Expiration will follow and a follow up ( insurance shot) will be carefully placed so as not to disrupt the more edible parts. Perhaps all of this will occur in 10-15 seconds-NOT. It will probably take just as long with a .375 H&H -Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Will, she went down pretty quick too. Come on now, where is everyone tonight? I am done packing for my trip now, let's get some more opinions here.

Posts: 19166 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
No longer than a double tusked wart hog.

Posts: 19313 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can see to shoot then you should shoot. If he goes down on the spot then an insurance shot should be taken. If he gets into heavy cover before a 2nd shot can be taken then you need to plan a follow-up stalk instead of waiting for a death bellow that may not come.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
From my vast store of experience ......

Well my opinion anyway.

Shoot one good shot. If it ain't running away and was hit well, why build up its adrenalin. Any large animal not shot through the brain just takes some time to die. A second shot if its still standing and looking too healthy. 5 minutes to let it die gracefully if its on the ground and youre standing by.

Really depends on the specific circumstances I think.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
OK, Folks,how about YOUR opinion.

1 - How long should it take for a buffalo to die once you shoot him?

2 - How long is too long, when does it become unjust?

3 - What length of time is most honorable?

Essay question:

4 - You know you made a good first shot, so should you wait to hear a death bellow or should you keep shooting until you are out of cartridges?

Just for discussion purposes. I am about to depart on a fishing weekend out of town and wanted to give the rest of you something to do while I am out having fun.

Oh, I am hoping to catch a pile of walleye.

Posts: 19166 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As far as I am concerned, I would say both.

The goal, I think, is to hasten, within his murky brain, the realization that he is dead.

Without the additional bullets, he will eventually come to that realization. But eventually has for some unlucky buffalo hunters been too long a time.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

One shot ( properly placed of course ) with the .600 Overkill with Woodleigh 900 gr SP at 2500 fps ........with a MIGHTY BLOW causing it to immediately lose consiousness ....

Is this the client or the buff?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All this approaching from the front front and posing for the video cameras before you're SURE the animal is dead is for suckers and wannabe movie stars.

My guess is some of this footage is re-enactments, after checking the buff. At least for the smart ones

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I think different people take different aimpoints for follow-up shots. If the animal is going straight away, you can either go for a shot up the anus, or perhaps try to break the spine/hip? Anyone try this?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hi,
I think different people take different aimpoints for follow-up shots. If the animal is going straight away, you can either go for a shot up the anus, or perhaps try to break the spine/hip? Anyone try this?

Yes. My hunting partner had wounded a kudu late in the afternoon the day before, and we all were searching for it the next morning. My PH and I found it first, and I took a going-away shot at the base of its tail. Put it down immediately, and walked up on it for a finisher from the side through the chest as it sat on the ground.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 Instantly.
#2, part 1: Anything longer than #1. part 2: When he suffers.
#3 See #1
#4 If he goes down, approach and put in a finishing shot. Check from behind while keeping your rifle on him. If he doesn't go down, keep shooting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Pump lead into them until they are dead. Now to more specifically address each of your questions.

1 - How long should it take for a buffalo to die once you shoot him? Depends a great deal on the individual animal, unless of course you place your shot into the CNS. The CNS is my preferred shot placement.

2 - How long is too long, when does it become unjust? Don't hesitate. Keep shooting until they are down, or you lose clear shot opportunity.

3 - What length of time is most honorable? There is no honor, only death.
Essay question:

4 - You know you made a good first shot, so should you wait to hear a death bellow or should you keep shooting until you are out of cartridges? Keep shooting until it is down or you are out, then reload and keep shooting.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ScottS has it right "there is no honour only death". The animal could not give a hoot if it's death is "honourable" in a Ruark/Hemmingway fashion! A fast death is the best you can hope to achieve as a prey species and I believe repeat shots are the best way to achieve this. By the way, have any of you ever put hole where you wish there were none with a badly placed insurance shot? Does the average back of neck insurance shot create much damage?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote