New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selous
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone hunted L1 in the Selous in early Sept? I this a good area and time to hunt for buff and plains game? Any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donato,

I hunted LU4 which borders L1 this October (mid). The hunting was good I took 2 buffalo (one 38", one very old busted horned bull about 35"), 2 kongoni, and an impala in 7 days. Saw lots of zebra, wildebeest, and warthogs but they didn't cooperate. It was very hot and humid (95F, 90% humidity) but in early September it may be a bit cooler and drier. As we were leaving right before Haloween the rains began. LU4 is very hilly and the cover is thick, this made stalking a challenge. I really enjoyed the hunt even more because of the challenges it posed.

L1 appeared to be similar terrain, it may be a bit flatter though. I am pretty sure the airstrip I departed from was in L1 and what I saw of the area it was a tad flatter.

I hope this helps.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd for the info on L1

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Great area for buff and other planis game. We were there in Sept 2006.

Had a blast. Buff are about 38" on average maybe. And lots of them

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there in late August 2005. My PH was an American named Keith Hakes who did us a good job and will find your buffalo. The camp is well located on the banks of the Luhombero River and is very well run with exceptional service. The weather was very pleasant. There were lots of buffalo, Lichtenstein hardebeests, enough zebra and wildebeest. Keith indicated that the buffalo became even more numerous later because the area had lots of water sources as some of the adjoining areas become drier. The airstrip is in K3.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what about M1 and K4 in early August?

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I also hunted L1, in late September of 2005 with Keith Hakes. As the earlier post said, Keith Hakes did a hell of a job for us. We took 3 buff along with some PG. Only note is the buff were "average" but camp/staff/equipment were flawless. Highly reccommended hunt.