Notify
Tools

Suppressor from USA to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
Question.

Can an American take a suppressor to Africa and bring it back? Is there a big hassle? A gunsmith I was talking to thought this was not allowed. I want to get a rifle setup for my son with a suppressor for Africa next year but it might not be allowed? Trying to find out the truth or what is involved.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I thought you need special permits in the US to have one!

And I am not sure what some AFRICAN countries think of them either.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
I used the PH’s suppressed 30/06 on my second SOuth Africa hunt, great rifle, an older tack driving Mauser. Check with your outfitter and see if you have that option.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
There is a suppressor/night vision forum on here that might be a better place to ask. I know you have to fill out paperwork with the feds just to take one to another state, not sure about international.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You would require an export/import permit to take it out of the U.S. and bring it back, and they don't usually hand those out to regular folks.

Consider having the PH procure one for you (threaded for your son's rifle) instead.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I used PH Charl Van Rooyen's 243 with a suppressor when I hunted cape grysbok in South Africa last August. Lovely gun! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guns with suppressors are readily available in SA. There are way to many problems with bringing one both from the feds and SA . Do your self a big favor use theirs

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Where is SF?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa isn't a country. Suppressors are legal in South Africa and illegal in Zimbabwe. You have to look at the laws for where you're going to be going.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THey are legal in Botswana as well. I am clueless if you can take them in and out of the USA>

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Um...No. Hard to take state to state nonetheless to a foreign country

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote