Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby 470 NE Photos
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Here's a project I just finished for Rigby.

Comments on the engraving?

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks too good to be on a California Rigby!

Excellent job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks wonderful. The California Rigbys are really very nice.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work, very tastefully done. Someday maybe I can afford to have you do some work for me.

CFA

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I'm a sucker for quality engraving. That is just beautiful. I hope that Rigby does it justice.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Very, very nicely done. It's not often I see a double rifle with banknote engraving. It looks great and the lettering is terrific.

I just might have to have you take a look at the 300/375 pair that are still in the works. I'm changing my mind about how I want them engraved.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I wish that was on my double..I wish I was taking to hunt ele and buf in 12 days....Beautiful work....

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger

Very nice, as usual.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Very Nice work.

Where there any limitations you had to work under ?

I think you could fit a bit more on some of the parts without overdoing it. Maybe some background shading. Afterall some chap will be paying + $23.500 for that rifle

However I think that English scrool fits a Rigby better. Rigby also did a lot of rifles with case-hardened metal parts.

The New American Rigbys have a look that does not make the rifles look like the Original Rigbys. Makes you wunder why they use the name. They use light Eglish walnut and that gives the rifle a very fresh flashy look a real California look.

If you want to market a product under a name that dates back to 1735 one is somewhat obligated to stick to the original style. Old Rigbys was never that flashy IMO.

Like most English products thaty where stylish without overdoing it. The Engraving Roger did for the double is not overdone but with a bright English walnut stock the rifle will look NOT Rigby.

It is like with some of the Austrian and some of the German gunmakers the want to show you how good they are and they end up doing too much cheekering too much gold and too many strange options.

Personaly I like English walnut and Victorian scrool and would like that on a bolt action rifle that I am having made.

If GM bought Ferrari and made it look like a Corvette I would feel the same.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Roger,
That's awesome work! Well done, sir!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A work of art in metal !!!! and a DAMN SIGHT BETTER than the engraving on my Merkel .470 !which left alot to be desired ! good to see someone with true pride in their work in this day and age ! PERFECT ! what more could you want ?

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This looks like a 12 gauge boxlock action to me. Are you sure it can take the pressure from a .470 NE ?

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mate thats CRAP!!!!

Nah just kidding Nice work.

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Is that ever pretty!

Bravo

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful work Roger!
Boy I would sure hate to hand the finished product over to the baggage handlers. Of course, if one can afford the finished product, they are probably flying to Africa in a private jet so no worries

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is WOW, what beautiful artwork (after I wipe the drool off my monitor). Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,

Lovely work, it reminds me of the early AH Fox "AHE" grade large scroll. To my eye the best work is on the fences.

What other engraving styles do you do, (small scroll, beuleno, inlay)??

JefferyD,

The sidelock PR Rigbys "look" like the older guns. They have the characteristic "hump" on the rear of the sideplate, standard Purdy R&S, case colored action...

The boxlock is a different animal. The action is sourced from Merkel. German design, US upgrades and finish, London name... You just have to accept what it is, a well designed and finished rifle at a reasonable price (compared to the sidelock). You can have any kind of engraving you'd like (the small scroll on some of these rifles is a good as it gets).

Brett

one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
B E A U T I F U L ! ! !

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIGBY

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Andr�

I agree 110% with you, finally some real Rigby's

Cheers
/ JOHAN

<allen day>
posted
Roger, that is some beautiful work! Very tasteful and simple, yet bold. Excellent work.........

AD

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the compliments and critique.

I have the Ottmar rifle in the safe and will get started on it about the middle of September. It will be a Rose & Scroll job and might be more to some's liking.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger

I like your work very much and look forward to the rose scroll.
This rifle belongs to a friend of mine. It is a Orginal Brenneke in cal. .375 H&H mag. On a standard mauser action. Very smooth

Cheers,

Andr�

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Very nice engraving Roger.

It's amazing how much those actions look like Merkel 20 ga. receivers

Bottom line: Have they paid you for your work ?????

Take care,
Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the NEW Rigbys from Paso Robles .470 NE BLE
Price $23.500

For that price B. Searcy could make a very nice double

Cheers,

Andr�

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
Speaking of different engraving styles, this is my Ferlach drilling.
Made by Ludwig Borovnik, I don�t know who engraved it though.

Br

Posts: 68 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent work, but you seem to have left my initials off of the bow of the trigger guard.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
mrlexma

Sorry, but the initials are already there. You can't see them because they are flush gold inlay and the camera didn't pick them up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some more Rigby Engraving:

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I can't spell the whistling sound I'm making.

Nice work.