New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Heading to Africa in a couple months looking for large plains game up to eland. I’m currently in a state of mental anguish deciding on which of 2 rifles to take. I can’t take 2 because I’ll also be transporting a rifle that my dad will use. I expect ranges to be modest with spot and stalk in bushveld.

I have a sparkling new Kimber Caprivi in .375 H&H. I bought it on a whim because it was beautiful. It’s shooting great with a Barnes 270 TSX. I have it setup with 2 low power Leupolds in Talley’s.

Next is my trusty Model 70 30-06. It’s been to Africa with me a few times. It sits in a Bansner stock and is at least 1.5 lb lighter than the Caprivi. It shoots Barnes 168 TTSX’s into tiny groups. Some of the best shots of my life I’ve made with this rifle.

My first thought is with eland that the .375 might make a difference. I also know that the ’06 is very effective with the Barnes bullet and with careful shot placement on the eland all should go well. With no real attachment to the Caprivi I could sell it and have a nice chunk of change for extra trophy fees. The model 70 will be much nicer to carry around. The Caprivi will look much nicer in the pictures! 

I’m leaning towards the ’06 unless someone can convince me it’s a bad plan.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In your place I would take the 30-06!

I have no idea how many eland I have shot with various 270 caliber wildcats.

All you need is to make sure of your bullet placement.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed, 30-06 will do fine. Sounds as if you have more time with it as well, also a boon.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your choice of calibers! Given your objectives I'd take the 30-06. Best of luck on your trip.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed. On my list trip to Africa I shot three Eland. Two with my trusty .338 Win. and one with my .270 Win. The one shot with the .270 died just a quickly and traveled no further after the shot than the ones shot with the .338

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take the 375 Kimber. Not because the 375 is needed, but your post states it shoots well and is beautiful. The 06 had already got to go to Africa.

So, I would take the 375, and let it have a turn.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Good question. Both rifles will do the job when you do your part in making a good shot.

The 375 does offer a bigger hole for blood to flow from in case the shot is not so stellar.

Now which rifle do you shoot well from shooting sticks? Or are they equal.

Pretty rifles are nice to look at and shoot.

Enjoy your trip with the rife you select.

As mentioned, the first shot is critical, so bullet placement is what you are looking at.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyattd,

One thing to consider would be that the 375 with the 270 TSX can essentially offer the same trajectory as your 30-06 and you can load some 270 gr solids for the real little guys. The extra weight is a small issue. How much walking on a PG hunt will you really do? The extra horsepower can't hurt either. Having said all of this I've shot loads of PG with a 30-06.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everytime I've taken a 375 and "something else", ('06, 300 mag or 338,) I always end up shooting everything with the 375. Unless I force myself to use the other gun.

Take the 375. It'll look better in the trophy photos too!

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H.

Both calibers will work as stated and proven by the above posters.

Whenever I have to make such a choice of two calibers that are both sufficient, I always choose the one that makes a bigger hole and shoots a heavier bullet, if preferable for the game I am hunting. The Eland weighs around 2,500 lbs.

Two good points made above:

1) You have already taken game in Africa with your 30-06. Expand your horizons and experience with different calibers. Here's a chance to take your 375 to Africa. NA does not offer that many opportunities that require a 375. Africa is different!

2) I too dislike carrying heavy rifles FOR LONG DAYS, such as a Buffalo hunt. But PG hunts are normally very short stalking affairs. The weight won't be noticed. When I hunt Buffalo, I carry my 404 Jeffery, 458 Lott or 375 H&H, and all three are Dakota Safaris which weigh 8 1/2 lbs. each. Joy!

Final consideration. You did not state where you are hunting in Africa. If you are hunting PG only, in an area with no DG around, that is one thing. However, if you are hunting PG only in Zim, Zambia, etc. where you could certainly bump into DG, I'd most certainly choose the 375. Food for thought...

Have fun on your upcoming safari!

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I took a .375 on my first trip because it was “Africa.” I was only hunting PG. I practiced and whacked a pile of pigs getting ready. It just felt right.

I should’ve just gone with my trusty 7-08, which has never failed me.

Take what you want and shoot well. I have a problem when I go for a hunt, as I have too many options. In the end, i should just take what I trust and shoot well.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both will serve you well.

My 375 wears a 1-6 Swaro. It has taken everything from suni to eland and giraffe.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
375 H&H.

Both calibers will work as stated and proven by the above posters.

Whenever I have to make such a choice of two calibers that are both sufficient, I always choose the one that makes a bigger hole and shoots a heavier bullet, if preferable for the game I am hunting. The Eland weighs around 2,500 lbs.

Two good points made above:

1) You have already taken game in Africa with your 30-06. Expand your horizons and experience with different calibers. Here's a chance to take your 375 to Africa. NA does not offer that many opportunities that require a 375. Africa is different!

2) I too dislike carrying heavy rifles FOR LONG DAYS, such as a Buffalo hunt. But PG hunts are normally very short stalking affairs. The weight won't be noticed. When I hunt Buffalo, I carry my 404 Jeffery, 458 Lott or 375 H&H, and all three are Dakota Safaris which weigh 8 1/2 lbs. each. Joy!

Final consideration. You did not state where you are hunting in Africa. If you are hunting PG only, in an area with no DG around, that is one thing. However, if you are hunting PG only in Zim, Zambia, etc. where you could certainly bump into DG, I'd most certainly choose the 375. Food for thought...

Have fun on your upcoming safari!

tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
375 H&H! One rifle for the world for anything that walks with proper bullets. The only thing is the bullets used needs to be proper for what ever comes out of the jess!

I have taken everything from Hippo, down to impala in Africa with 300 gr bullets from a 375 H&H bolt rifle.

However, the 30-06 with proper bullets will take everything as well, but is a little weak for things like a cape buffalo, or hippo stumbled onto in close quarters jess. Eeker
......…......………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Take the rifle you shoot the best.

Posts: 2642 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
30-06.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be in a non-dangerous game area and that has been a consideration. As far as which I would shoot best it would probably be a wash. Actions are similar and accuracy nearly the same. The 30-06 fits me a little better since I was able to get LOP custom for me.

I thought I'd have more feedback that I would be under gunned for eland but that's not the case. Still leaning '06. Thanks for all the opinions!

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Since both cartridges are more than capable, I would take the rifle that I want to give me more great memories in the future. Seems like that is your 30-06.

Safe travels and Good Hunting......Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since DG is not in the equation & the 06 has some sentimental feelings that go along with it. That's the one I would choose.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s the way I would think

quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I would take the 375 Kimber. Not because the 375 is needed, but your post states it shoots well and is beautiful. The 06 had already got to go to Africa.

So, I would take the 375, and let it have a turn.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the 375. The 06 has already been and you can start memories with the kimber.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Since DG is not in the equation & the 06 has some sentimental feelings that go along with it. That's the one I would choose.

I can see the 30-06 for everything that will be on list here, since there is no d-game involved, and I see the love for that rifle, and if that is important to the shooter,then by all means, take it.
I say this because way back in the 1980s I was booked for cape buffalo Hippo, and plain games my father was thinking about booking as well but when he was told his 30-06 wouldn't be legal for
Cape buffalo, he said he wasn't interested in going because his only target was cape buffalo.
When I told him he could use my rifle for his buffalo, a 375H&H, and he could take everything else with his 30-06. His reply was, "I'm not interested in anything but the Buffalo! "

So, he didn't go with me in that year 1981, and the next year he died! I still have my dad's 30-06 Mauser rifle, and it hasn't been fired since.

So in after thought, I say take the one you find most satisficing for your safari!

………………………….Good luck, and build some memories for not only yourself, but for those left behind after you are gone to the Happy hunting grounds!
…………………………………………………………………………………. old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

I can see the 30-06 for everything that will be on list here, since there is no d-game involved, and I see the love for that rifle, and if that is important to the shooter,then by all means, take it.
I say this because way back in the 1980s I was booked for cape buffalo Hippo, and plain games my father was thinking about booking as well but when he was told his 30-06 wouldn't be legal for
Cape buffalo, he said he wasn't interested in going because his only target was cape buffalo.
When I told him he could use my rifle for his buffalo, a 375H&H, and he could take everything else with his 30-06. His reply was, "I'm not interested in anything but the Buffalo! "

So, he didn't go with me in that year 1981, and the next year he died! I still have my dad's 30-06 Mauser rifle, and it hasn't been fired since.

So in after thought, I say take the one you find most satisficing for your safari!

………………………….Good luck, and build some memories for not only yourself, but for those left behind after you are gone to the Happy hunting grounds!

My Dad will be with me on this our 5th safari to Africa. He'll be 76 years old. Our first was to Northern Namibia in '05 and I had my 30-06 and he his .308 Win. I've taken a few other rifles over the years, but he will consider nothing but his .308 Win. It's the only rifle he's killed a big game animal with for probably 30 years.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I never take anything smaller than a .375 H&H Mag. anymore. I'll take larger, if the game warrants, but not smaller. The .375 is the perfect general African game caliber, unless shots are going to be at long range. I generally don't shoot at longer range than 300 yards, and seldom that far.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
"One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375"

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went over, 1st time, had a 375, and an 06. One day an Eland came across the road (dirt) in front of the vehicle. PH said, his leg broken, better take him. Bailed out and the Eland had turned and was going off. I had the 06 in my hands, loaded with 165GR Nosler partitions. He was going slightly R-L, and I caught him at the back edge of the ribs. Bullet went clear to the right shoulder, where we found it. I shot several other animals with the 375, and frankly, NOT impressed. Sure no better than the 06. So take the 06, especially since you shoot it well and like the fit and feel, and don't worry about having enough gun.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my limited Africa experience, I would take the 375. In your situation, I would lean to the 30-06.

I took 2 pre 64 Win 70's to Africa, a 375 H&H and a 30-06 Fwt. I said if I ever go back I would just take the 375 H&H. I was using 260 grain Nosler Partitions. I would not be in a big hurry to take two again; the main reason being room in the gun case. I wish that I would have had a soft case with me for the travel in safari trucks. My rifle was constantly banging me in the face or hitting windows etc. I wish that it had been in a soft case. I would pack the 375 in the soft case and then in the hard case for air travel. I would not have room in my hard case for two guns in that configuration. My 375 talked loud in Africa, but so did my 30-06.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1616 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the .06. Sell the Kimber...shoot more trophies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first safari I took a 375 H&H and a 30:06. Last time I took the 375 and a 12 gauge. It was perfect. Don’t forget the great bird shooting over there. There is nothing like ending the day at a water hole shooting sand grouse. Get another gun case and take shotguns. Be sure to let your PH know so he can lay in some shells.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The common answer to such a post is take the 30-06 its all you will need, and that's a fact so take both and enjoy your hunt! jumping why not?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wyattd:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

My Dad will be with me on this our 5th safari to Africa. He'll be 76 years old. Our first was to Northern Namibia in '05 and I had my 30-06 and he his .308 Win. I've taken a few other rifles over the years, but he will consider nothing but his .308 Win. It's the only rifle he's killed a big game animal with for probably 30 years.

I'm glad your dad is going with you! At 76 years old he could keep up easy enough! I'm 83 years old and doubt I will ever get back to Africa, but I wish my father could have gone with me, but dieing at the age of 65, it is probably good that he didn't because the next summer he died of a massive heart attack, and that would have been a real problem in the bush.

…………………………………………….. old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its in the DNA of the American hunter to take a big bore to Africa, knowing its not needed to hunt PG!! Nothing wrong with that btw, its his trip and his dream, don't screw it up!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are leaning to the '06, then use the '06.

The point that your dad is going to be there and is using a .308 to me would be a reason to take the .375, as unless you are hunting 2x2, you could trade to the .308 on smaller and use the .375 on the rest.

I personally would prefer the more horsepower of the .375 on eland as you can never be sure that you will get the optimal presentation with them, and the .375 will take one from essentially any angle; while the '06 would be a rifle you need the right presentation to ensure placement.

I have shot more PG with my .375 than with all my other rifles combined, so I am a bit prejudiced there, but freely acknowledge that a '06 (or a .308) will kill anything up to and including an eland if you put the bullet in the right spot.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer and an elk with the 375 Ruger Hornady spire point for in 270 grain Interlock on elk exited through the neck. Obviously, the elk went four feet straight down.
300 grain DGX soild on deer one went 25 yards died in stride I shot it behind last rib as it ran past me at an angle. It exited the right side in front of the front right leg. One shot in the neck straight down.

I have also shot two turkeys with the 375 DGX soild at 10paces in the neck just above the body cavity. No damage to the breast.

If you want to use the 375, you will be very happy performance. You cannot build memories and sentimentality if you do not use it.

The choice is yours, and you can’t be wrong.

Worst case scenario flip a coin. Heads you win. Tails the eland looses.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will not encounter DG. You are extremely familiar with your '06. It is extremely accurate and easier to carry. If your father has to or wants to use it he will not be hit harder with it when he drops the hammer. The '06 will be more than adequate for everything on your list.

I would suggest the '06. It works.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
When is your trip? You mentioned that it's in a couple of months...May/June?

If I were you, my main worry would be how I was going to postpone this trip. I highly doubt that travel or the Covid-19 situation will be anywhere near resolved by then.

Apart from that, you have received great advice on rifle selection.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
When is your trip? You mentioned that it's in a couple of months...May/June?

If I were you, my main worry would be how I was going to postpone this trip. I highly doubt that travel or the Covid-19 situation will be anywhere near resolved by then.

Apart from that, you have received great advice on rifle selection.

Yeah, trip is scheduled for May 8th departure. Probably not going to happen on time. Whenever we do go I've made the decision to go with the '06 and have sent off all paperwork for permits to seal my decision.

Now just sit and watch the virus situation play out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the one you are most comfortable and confident with - either will handle plains game up to eland. I've taken my 30-06 loaded with barnes 165 TSX and its handled all plains game well.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote