Find
Notify
Tools

Liberia Reopens for Safari Hunting!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Liberia Reopens Safari Hunting!

From Steve Kobrine to The Hunting Report via email: "After nearly three years of hard work I have finally gotten legal permission to conduct safaris in Liberia! I have a hunting area of just over 57,000 hectares (140,000 acres). It is a six-hour drive from Monrovia. We have managed to access a remote area; 12 log bridges had to be fixed over a 23-kilometer span, and then we had to hack an eight-kilometer road into an untouched area.....

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did he mention what trophies might be available?

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:
Did he mention what trophies might be available?

Don't know. I no longer subscribe to The Hunting Report so all I get are the teasers - you have to subscribe to get the whole story.

The Hunting Report

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2089 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand one of the species is the Black Duiker and I think some more of the little guys.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, royal antelope and water chevrotain are two of teh little guys he has permits for.
Camshaft

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
"Water Chevrotain"??? I had to look that one up. Also known as Mouse Deer.

I got a chuckle out of that one for a minute as I remembered Boddington's fictional "Purple Crested Gazork". Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...gging-companies.html

Liberia sells almost quarter of country to logging companies

Liberia's internationally acclaimed president has surrendered almost a quarter of her country to foreign logging companies, endangering the biggest surviving rainforest in West Africa.

By David Blair
7:00AM BST 04 Sep 2012

Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf became the first woman to win a presidential election in Africa when she gained Liberia's leadership in 2005.

The Harvard-educated economist has been widely praised for rebuilding Liberia after a devastating civil war that claimed perhaps 250,000 lives. Liberia is one of five countries where Tony Blair's Africa Governance Initiative aims to improve public administration and service delivery.

Yet Mrs Johnson-Sirleaf's government has given logging companies the right to deforest 10,079 square miles of Liberia, an area totalling 23.4 per cent of the entire country, according to Global Witness, a campaign group.

The regions set aside for clearance include 45.6 per cent of Liberia's primary rainforest, the largest surviving ecosystem of its kind in West Africa. Deforestation rights have been granted in the form of 66 "Private Use Permits" (PUPs) which place minimal obligations on the companies involved, according to Global Witness.

The new licenses "contain no sustainability requirements," said the campaign group, and would allow companies to clear "almost half of Liberia's primary intact forests". The PUPs "provide much less revenue to the government than other types of logging licenses" and "violate Liberia's new laws designed to ensure that communities can control their forests".

Local communities have agreed to allow their forests to be cut down in return for compensation. But Global Witness said the sums involved were "paltry", noting that the international price for Liberian tropical hardwood is around $200 per cubic metre, while the payments to local people have ranged between $1.50 and $3 per cubic metre.

"Liberia is often lauded by the donor community as a country that got it right," said Jonathan Gant from Global Witness. "In many respects this is accurate, but this legal crisis in the forest sector threatens to undo its fragile progress."

Two companies – Atlantic Resources and Alpha Logging – have been the biggest beneficiaries of the permits. Both have "significant corporate ties" with Samling Global, a Malaysian logging company. In 2010, the Norwegian government's pension fund disinvested from Samling after finding that the company had carried out illegal logging in the Sarawak area of Borneo.

Last month, Mrs Johnson-Sirleaf "suspended" Moses Wogbeh, the head of Liberia's Forestry Development Authority, who had signed the PUPs. A statement from her government said an "independent" investigation would examine the awarding of permits – and promised that no more would be handed out until this was complete.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
sounds right

cut it down or burn it...and leave it bare...that what you see in other African countries..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The amount of money in tropical hardwood is staggering, so are the bribes and illegal harvest...

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little guys? Ed probably has his plane tickets already! :-)

Posts: 20157 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
President Sirleaf Appoints Special Independent Investigative Body to Probe Issuance of PUPs; Suspends FDA Managing Director
Friday, 31st August 2012

Monrovia, Liberia - President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has commissioned an independent body to conduct a comprehensive review of the policies and procedures regarding the issuance of Private Use Permits (PUPs), in keeping with recommendations of the Board of Directors of the Forestry Development Authority (FDA).

Those appointed to the Special Independent Investigative Body include:

Individuals:
1. Mr. James Dorbor Jallah – Chair
2. Ms. Diasmer Panna Bloe
3. Father James Sellee

Institutional Membership:
4. Civil Society Organization: Mr. Thomas Doe Nah (CENTAL)
5. Association of Female Lawyers of Liberia: Cllr. Felicia Coleman
6. Ministry of Justice: Atty. Kou Dorliae

Technical/Advisory Board
7. USAID (U.S. Forest Service)
9. EU (European Forestry Institute)
10. EPA

Additionally, the President has approved the Board’s recommendations for the export of logs at the port by the four (4) concessions that were approved for PUPs in February 2012 and have settled their tax obligations. However, the moratorium on exports will remain in place for all other logs pending the report of the Special Independent Investigative Body.

Meanwhile, President Sirleaf has suspended, without pay, the Managing Director of the Forestry Development Authority, Mr. Moses Wogbeh, and appointed Mr. Harrison S. Karnwea to serve as interim Managing Director, pending the report of the Special Independent Investigative Body.

http://www.emansion.gov.lr/press.php?news_id=2302

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, almost. Malcom King from London was in camp in Ghana when I arrived and he was going back home to London for a couple of weeks and then returning to Liberia for a couple of weeks - he may have been Steve's first hunter in Liberia.

As an aside did any one see Jim Shokey's show the other night on the Outdoor channel - it was his hunt with Steve in Ghana. They showed hunting for Black Duiker with beaters during the day. It would be impossible to do the Royal hunt at night. Saw a lot of friends on the show - Gidion, Mooche and Isaac.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Biebs, almost. Malcom King from London was in camp in Ghana when I arrived and he was going back home to London for a couple of weeks and then returning to Liberia for a couple of weeks - he may have been Steve's first hunter in Liberia.

As an aside did any one see Jim Shokey's show the other night on the Outdoor channel - it was his hunt with Steve in Ghana. They showed hunting for Black Duiker with beaters during the day. It would be impossible to do the Royal hunt at night. Saw a lot of friends on the show - Gidion, Mooche and Isaac.

I saw it, Ed. Looked like great fun and Steve looks like he would be awesome to hunt with.

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have never met Steve - Gideon was my hunter and Mooche was my tracker the first two nights, and we never saw anything except a Vine snake which Mooche killed but it ended the hunt for that night. Both Steve and Gideon are over 6'8" tall. The bad thiong was Mooche is almost pygmy size and he was leading the way and Gideon was bringing up the rear hacking our way thru the rain forest. I didn't go to the market to buy food, but saw the backets of smoked and dried food with the flys crawling all over it. They are use to that and I am sure it would make us very sick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201304040921.html

The Inquirer (Monrovia)

Liberia: Buffaloes Destroying Several Farms in Maryland

By Lewis S. Verdier, II, 4 April 2013

The wild species widely believed to have migrated from neighboring Ivory Coast into Harper and Pleebo Districts in Maryland County in Southeast Liberia have entered the county due to climate change and are currently roaming in swamps, dense forests and destroying several cassava food crops.

Briefing THE INQUIRER recently after an assessment tour in affected areas, the Regional Coordinator of the Communion Farming, Mr. Nyema Dio said the buffalos entered the country since February this year but the situation is worsening every day as the specieces continue to carry on massive destructions of cassava crops in fifteen acres of farmlands located in Little Wlebo, Gboloken communities and Pleebo villages. Mr. Dio said over 150 farmers have complained that their farms are destroyed by the buffalos.

Mr.Dio said that, that had never happened before to see buffalos migrating from one habitat to another; this may be due to a climate change in their previous habitats or they might have being frightened by curtained intervention for which they migrated to the county.

He said farmers barricaded their farms to avoid the entry of the specieces but to no avail. The buffalos continue to break their fences as usual.

The Regional Coordinator of the Communion, Mr. Nyema Dio Farming is calling on the government of Liberia to help with chemicals or other means that will help farmers combat the buffalos. He said if nothing is done the buffalos may one day carry on massive destructions of plants especially food crops.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see China somewhere behind this Malaysian company. they seem to have a nack for destroying Africa.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
massive destructions of cassava crops in fifteen acres of farmlands located in Little Wlebo, Gboloken communities and Pleebo villages. Mr. Dio said over 150 farmers have complained that their farms are destroyed by the buffalos.

Did I read that right? 150 farmers on 15 acres?
Wendell, I agree with you. Sounds like a few yen changed hands.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote