THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Chobe and Harnessed Bushbuck questions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chobe and Harnessed Bushbuck questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1. What are they found?

2. Is the harnessed bushbuck found in the farthest northwest corner of Zambia on the Angolan/DRC border?

3. What is a big Chobe or a big Harnessed Bushbuck?

Thanks

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of knuckle
posted Hide Post
Harnessed bushbuck are found in Cameroon,C.A.R, Benin, Burkina Faso. A big one would be around the 13" mark, but anything over 10" is acceptable and considered a good trophy. Chobe bushbuck are found in Northern Zimbabwe, Zambia and parts of Mozambique. A big Chobe would be 16" plus, but anything over 13" as long as it was mature, would pass for a reasonable trophy. They may occur in other countries I have not mentioned, but for sure they exist in the one I have mentioned.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I think the Rowland Ward min for harnessed BB is 11" and the RW min for Chobe BB is 13".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I think knuckle has it about right. My PH in Cameroon said he looked for something between 10"-12". I killed a 16.5" Chobe in Zambia and a 17" in Mozambique and in both cases they were the one of the best or maybe the best trophies of the safari.

In the SCI record book it looks like there could be a slight overlap of the harnessed and Chobe species on the Zambia DRC border in a small area west of Lake Tanganyika.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The general consensus is that the bushbuck in the northwest corner of Zambia are Chobe bushbuck. Similarly, the general consensus is that the sitatunga in that area are Zambezi sitatunga, although some have claimed them to be forest sitatunga. Of course, there's nothing wrong with taking a Chobe bushbuck or a Zambezi sitatunga.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got ahold of Pete Fisher at Nchila, where we killed the bushbuck and a sitatunga.
He says the DNA run on the bushbuck in the area show some to be harnessed and others to be Chobe and some to be a cross. His sitatunga are Forest Sitatunga according to his work with DNA there.

He also has several sable in his herd of 500+ animals that carry about 5/8's to 3/4's Giant Angolan Sable "breeding" - again, according to DNA and whatever other methods are used to determine such things.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The farm I hunted on near Chinhoyi would not let me take anything less than 15" although I was quite willing to. We passed up a lot of Bushbuck till we found a 16" he was satisfied with. Then it was in tall grass and the only thing you could see was the head so I took a headshot and promptly hit him at the base of the left horn. Looks good in the pictures and since i don't take trophies it was fine with me. The second one was shot for camp meat at the instructions of the PH and went around 12". Tasted delicious though. This was in the Doma area.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote