New
Find
Notify
Tools

SA gun sale question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a South African PH interested in buying my Merkel 500NE. I have no clue how to go about shipping the rifle/customs/transfer of ownership. One thought I had was have Merkel USA ship it to a Merkel dealer in SA. Anyone done this before? Thanks, Russ Green

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done it before, but the procedure would be for a FFL licence holder (dealer) in the States to ship the rifle to a local dealer, from where the PH can follow the standard Firearms Licence application (Rather him than me) Roll Eyes

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HT

I'd suggest contacting Simpson's LTD to discuss the export of firearm. I understand it is not quite as easy as having an FFL ship it!

The .50 caliber may also be an issue, but, ask Simpson, it is one of the things they do.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

This is more complicated than it might seem. While you can do it yourself, believe you are on track asking if a dealer like Merkel can get the required export licenses from U.S. authorities (Dept. of State, Bureau of Politico-Military Affairs), but it may be that the gun owner (you) will have to get the permits.

Let your PH friend get the required South African licenses. He can tell you whether you/your dealer can ship directly to him or should go through a South African gunshop.

First step: Give Merkel here a call and discuss it, including feasibility, cost, amount of time to get permit...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not that complicated, I have done it many times and I have sold some guns over here for some PHs...

They send them to me, when the gun gets to Boise, Id. I get a call from US Customs, I then contact an FFL dealer and he goes and picks up the gun and then registers it to me..If the gun was manufactured prior to 1920 as I recall you don't even need an FFL dealer to get it...

Everything else is done by the seller, but in a few cases the PHs just sent me the gun through our US Customs port in Boise, I don't think they went through a dealer in RSA, not too surprising considering the state of affairs in that country...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting to hear from the SA gun owners association. Will update.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

As I read it, Russ is EXporting his rifle, not importing...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/docs/oas.pdf

Russ,

I hope this site GUIDELINES FOR THE PERMANENT EXPORT, TEMPORARY EXPORT,TEMPORARY IMPORT OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION will help you.

Please see page 10.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any export of any firearm, part, or ammo or component (even bullets or brass for reloading..the only thing exempt is fired shotgun hulls) requires an export permit from the State dept. A special class of dealer licence is required to export guns. Your best bet is to work through a licenced exporter. There will be fees and red tape. Plenty.

Then there's another round of bureacracy on the RSA side. Import permit, firearms permit etc.

You would be better off sending him a check for $10K.

Temporary export of personal firearms for hunting etc is also exempt, but you are supposed to bring the items back with you.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Made the connection:

Russ,

I can do exports to the RSA providing the buyer has an International Import Certificate or permission letter from the authorities there. I need the original IIC document or one certified by the issuing agency along with a dated purchase/explanation letter with original signature. The export license process has been moving inside of a month lately once the license application is submitted electronically to the Office of Defense Trade Control, US DOS. Shipping is by USPS Global Express or Priority at cost. There are maximum insured values so if the firearm exceeds these values all risk and responsibility is assumed by the importer. The tracking system is excellent and I've never had a problem. If this isn't satisfactory, I can try and run the process through a broker/freight forwarder in Boston at much additional cost. My fee for the service is $500 plus shipping at cost. Let me know if you have any other specific questions. Thanks.

Regards,

Brian Dick

BDL LTD
410 Meeting Street Road
Edgefield, SC 29824-3942
USA
Phone/Fax: 001 (803) 637-5784