THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What Premium 9.3x62 Ammo Available in RSA?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Premium 9.3x62 Ammo Available in RSA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What brands and types of lead core premium 9.3x62 ammo (partition, a-frame, bonded core, etc.) is available for sale in South Africa? Specifically in the Jo’berg area?

I’m from East Texas but work in Saudi most of the year. The last two years I went hunting direct from work, so no opportunity to bring my own gun and ammo. The PH I hunt with has a 9.3x62 he rents me. The first year the PH had Norma ammo with 286gr bonded core Oryx bullets. They worked great, even on a difficult rear quartering shot on a large Blue Wildebeest. Last year he has Serbian made “Highland” ammo with the softest, thinnest jacket 286gr slug on the planet. Great on small stuff like impala. Lousy on anything bigger or tougher.

For 2012 I’d like to ask him to buy a box of premium before I arrive and pay extra for it in my deposit. He’s very game savy but not as ammo savy, so I’s like to be able to suggest several options in addition to the Norma Oryx.

Any help on what is available that he might have access to would be appreciated.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I would think that you could use the Internet to communicate directly with some gunshops in Jo'berg and get the info that you need,while hunting in the Grahamstown area we had no issues locating decent 375 h&h ammo last year.

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both PMP and Norma offer the Swift A frame. I think PMP still offers the 250grn A frame while Norma loads the 286grn A frame.

And in SA...that is basically your choice....

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill73; communicate directly with some gunshops and book some for your PH to just collect. I also agree that the Highland X is just good to make holes in paper - provided the paper is thin! Big Grin

The 9.3X62 is one of the calibres for which the local PMP actually manufacture ammo. Speaking under correction that will include the PMP ProAm a claimed "premium" hunting bullet. I've never used the ProAm, but some local hunters swear by them. Other users can chip in and say if ProAm in that caliber can be regarded as a good hunting bullet, but you should at least easily get some at reasonable prices.

If you cannot get gunshops' email addresses, just PM me and I'll be glad to help.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Locally manufactured PMP manufacture a 286gr PRO AMM Soft Point. The P/AMM is an outstanding bullet but is not a typically premium. Thicker jacket and soft front with a harder type lead core forming the rear half which is locked in by the cannelure. Excellent for when a strong soft point is required.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above try to get the PMP or Norma.

Do not use Privi Partisan!!! It was the only thing available for the loaner 7 X 64 that I used. We found several in the box where the bullet could be pushed in or pulled out with minimal finger strength and the NP knockoff bullets lacked penetration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My kids used the PMP and they worked fine.

I checked the zero on 2 rifles for them and 3 shots around 1" at 80 yards.

You will find a few guns shops when you such on the net. I can not remember the shop that replied to me, just had a quick look.
Ammo cost was about x2 aussie cost.

Your PH should be able to sort this out for you.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2009 my ammo waa a day late into country as it missed the plane in Amsterdam. Bought some PMP ProAm locally.

Sighted in well and worked fine.

Fortunately, my ammo did find me a day late because the other rifle was a .458 AccRel and that was not available in Africa.

Makes very good sense to take at least one rifle for which ammo can be locally purchased.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I cannot in good conscience reccomend the PMP with the Pro Amm bullets.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 300 grain Partizan soft point bullets in my 375 Ruger when I shoot at the range because they are the cheapest bullets by far I can buy to reload for a 375. But they are very soft and not something I would use on a PG hunt in Africa.

I highly recommend the 285 grain Norma Oryx or the 286 grain Norma A-Frame.
I also think the RWS 9,3X62 18,8GR(291 grain) EVO would be a good choice.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:

Reasons? Does the same apply to all calibers? What about the .458WM. Just saying as we have that stuff here and need to purchase.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Reasons? Does the same apply to all calibers? What about the .458WM. Just saying as we have that stuff here and need to purchase.

Andrew, I have seen some headspace issues with them (9,3 specifically, but also with 25-06 ammo), the Pro Amm bullet is very soft, very thin jacket, OK for PG but will not use on kudu and bigger if I have a choice.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

The Pro Amm is not as bad as the standard round. Although on smaller game as a follow-up with the .375 H&H on wounded run-aways, it was like nailing the animal with a RPG. The bullet just disintergrated, not much left for the pot, but it was going nowhere. The few times that I have used .375 Pro Amm, they seem to have worked well enough on animals up to and including kudu and blue wildebeest. I have never recovered one as they were all through and throughs.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I purchased 9.3x62 ammo in Jo'Burg in 2009.

Once you have your import permit (issued at OT) it is almost like a firearms license. You have to give them a copy of your Passport front page though and it is better to pay by cash or Credit card. I went to The Powder Keg and there were two brands available.

The Local PMP ammo which shot approx 2-3 MOA in my rifle and Blaser ammo from Europe. The cost of the Blaser was about A$200 per box of 20. Yikes.

I bought the PMP stuff which had a dual core projectile and looked capable. The Blaser stuff was probably worth the extra $.

http://www.blaser.de/CDP.743.0.html?&L=1

Edit: 9.3x62 ammo was also available in Bloomfontein. The shop was on the western side of the CBD.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PMP with dual core are Swift A frames. Their Pro Amm is a perfectly good bullet for all game up to eland in a 9,3. My only complaint with PMP is it is always a little slow (100fps slower than Norma / Nosler or Hornady)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Here are some interesting sectioned 9.3mm projectiles. Any bonding process or core density of course isn't visible.

Acknowledgements to Tilleyman

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Once I brought PMP 286 gr RN bullets from RSA and we use it succesfully on water buffs here in Uruguay.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I feel that at 9.3 velocities the PMP PROAMM will perform very well on the big stuff. One of the reasons I bought my 7x57 was that with factory ammo the velocity of the heavier loads was low enough to provide acceptable performance in the bushveld and the PRO AMM is a deep penetrator in my 7x57 as I am sure it will be in the mild 9.3. And in my rifle the 170gr PRO AMM shoots one hole groups at 100m.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote