Find
Notify
Tools

Curios near the seacliff?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted
Well guys, its getting closer! Just 9 more days until I depart for my buffalo hunt in the Selous. I will have a day and a half in Dar at the seacliff. I was wondering if there are some good places close by to obtain some curios and gifts? (carvings,masks,croc and ostrich items etc.) I hope that some of you all that have been there can help. thanks.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are actually some shops right at the Seacliff that had a prettd good selection although I suspect the prices might be a little higher than other local places.

Posts: 89 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rock, that's a good start.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you are there for a whole day, you might wish to ask the hotel to rrange a visit for you to the real curios market.

You will have an endless number of shops to choose from. And the visit itself is quite an experience.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
thornell:

I arrive at the Sea Cliff on the evening of the 12th. Will you be there the morning of the 13th?

Are my figures correct? Today is the 1st (or second, depending on your time zone). Add nine days and you leave the 10th and arrive late on the 11th... spend the day (12th) in Dar and leave for the Selous on the morning of the 13th? If I can add.... meet me and Steve Robinson and others for early breakfast before your charter. We'll be there about 6:00 a.m. to see the sunrise and gets a banger or two.

If it's the 2nd where you are, already, you'd still be there the 13th?... anyway, look us up.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider taking a day trip to Zanzibar. Also, if Smokeys restaurant in Dar is still open, it is/was excellent.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Tznzenite stone in one of the shops at the SeaCliff. they have 10 years worth of mining for Tanzenite, then it will all be harvested.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just outside the gate to the SeaCliff there are a couple vendors. When I drove past it looked like mostly junk on a few broken down tables. Out of boredoom one afternoon I walked out the gate and perused the tables. To my surprize I found a beatuifully done Matesi Warrior bust in ebony wood. Approx. 14" high and 8 lbs. The vendor was asking $40 USD I baretered him down to $20USD and bought it for my office back home.

** Here's a tip i picked up along the way with regard to shipping your curios: Add some good bubble wrap to your luggage (and extra wrap around an extra rifle scope,etc) then wrap your curios in it upon your return flight sandwiched between your clothing. I've done this several times and it works like a charm!

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
If you are there for a whole day, you might wish to ask the hotel to rrange a visit for you to the real curios market.

You will have an endless number of shops to choose from. And the visit itself is quite an experience.

I second Saeed's advice. The Ebony Market is where you should go if you have the time. But you will need a driver/interpreter to get there and take best advantage of it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. I think a trip to the markets sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully I can find some unique items.

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Judge, I am sending you a PM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, the market is the place to go..I have bought some real collectables there, 100 year old spear, an old bow and quiver with the arrows still containing poison. They also have a lot of newly made spears for tourists but they are cheap imitations of the real stuff..I found an Ivory elephant tusk that was aged and orange in color carved into a big flute, it was a real collectors Item. They wanted $750 for it and it was a steal, but I would have had to smuggle it through customs and just didn't need that hasle! Smiler thinking back it may have been worth it...Tell them what your looking for.

Elephant hair bracelets, spears, carvings, shields, Lion claws, Leopard claws, Tanzanite, and a host of other items are available if you know the right folks. Licky Abdullah has some awesome Tanzanite, and most folks around Dar know Licky.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote