My Roan Came In.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Roan!! Congrats...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Where did you take him?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Heavy horned bugger and very nice. To me the roan is the equal trophy wise of any sable that ever lived. They are far less common than the sable and I've found them to be spookier.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I do not know anything about these antelope but that looks awesome. the secondary growth looks really old.

Is that part of a sable that is beyond the roan? Could you please post a photo of both from an angle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11202 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which Roan is that? It doesn't look like my Western Roan. I like the mount in that it shows the horns well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot in Zambia I honestly don't know what kind it is. Beside is a buff. Shot in 09 or 10.
I think we measured it at 29 and some change green. Not measured since. I seem to remember is was up there pretty high in the books at the time. Thanks guys I am very please how it turned out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful trophy and, as Mark noted, a heck of a lot tougher to hunt than a sable. Well done.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Every time I see a roan, I kick myself for not putting in more effort for one while in Zambia. Woe is me.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Great roan Jeff. Quite impressive.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The roan is an awesome trophy! Congrats!

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite the trophy. Roan has always been one of my not-realized aspirations. One like that would do quite nicely.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
very nice!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning! tu2 Yes, I would definitely agree with Mark as to their trophy value and spookiness! Mine was tough to hunt and was a wary old warrior! Big Grin Congratulations!

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
(Cain't bear to look at the oryx?) VERY nice!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice mountSmiler
Last year I watched some Roans for 4-5 hours and their behavior reminded me of horses.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jeff, Looks very nice.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What Jeff isn't telling anyone is that Alister MADE HIM shoot it.

He sat there wining like a girl, "But, I don't want a Roan. Waaa, waaa, waaa!"

Alister's exact words were, "Somebody shoot that f#&$!ng Roan!"

Cool

Don't you just hate it when you have witnesses Jeff?

That is one beautiful Roan.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congratulations!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Cool

Ok now I will finish the story, After I killed this great Roan. Mr. I love horses AKA Wendell now wants one, only it must be bigger than mine.
Sure enough we run up on another one and Alister
says that is a very big Roan. Wendell "is it bigger than Jeff's?" "is it bigger?" while he is whining about it being bigger, he missed the chance to shoot it. Alister tells him yes it was indeed bigger than Jeff's. He goes back to camp crying... Smiler guess who still don't have a roan... Smiler

Wendell do you want me to talk about Citrine?
That witness cuts both ways Smiler

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Nice rendition, only you fail to mention that Alister neglected to tell me it was bigger. Only after we drove away did he say it. We immediately turned around, (Much to Jeff's displeasure) and tried a stalk.

Jeff was wining about going back to camp because Jack was waiting for him. Mr. Jack Daniels that is.

I swear he was going into DT's at 3:00 in the afternoon. I think the Roan heard Jeff's crying while we were stalking it, that is why we didn't get him.

Also, Jeff, why were you shooting into the air while I was stalking a potential top 10 Roan? Jeff doesn't like to come in second I think.

quote:
Wendell do you want me to talk about Citrine?

Yes, I want these people to know what kind of person you are.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jeff was wining about going back to camp because Jack was waiting for him. Mr. Jack Daniels that is.

LMAO after have seen the photos I must believe Wendell jumping

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Really Nice!!

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 883 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Cool

Jeff - I am soooo sorry you had to be subjected to such criticism from you're booking agent, how un-professional of him. No worries though, from now on GHR will happily/kindly handle all of you're hunting needs.

Thank you Wendell Reich, and by the way - beautiful Roan!!! Cool

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great roan Jeff. Congrats

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well part of what "Dances with Horses" ask Wendell says is true. Alister did say that and I shot it.
and I am a Jack Daniels Squire and do enjoy it.
but as usually "Dances with Horses" remembers about as well as he rides horses.

Now for the Citrine story:
Our host gave me and Dances with Horses 2 very large uncut Citrine stones. He told us we could have them cut in Zambia he would arrange it. About 10 days into the hunt after a long day hunting our host brings the very nice large cut stones to us around the camp fire. We had had a couple and I asked to see Dances with Horses stone. I was sitting and dropped it in my lap quite by accident it when into my shirt and as I reached in my shirt trying to locate it it when in my shorts. Now I am telling dances with horses this and he is by now had a accident in his pants. Me and Alister and crying laughing so hard our faces hurt. Only then do I really start messing with dances with horses, telling him exatly where the stone is he is about to blow a gasket by this point and Alister and I can take it any longer we have laughed for 10 min so hard we are worn out. I stand up and the stone fall to the ground. Dances with Horses begges me to see my stone (like I would give him my stone,
Now when ever he get confused on the truth like he has, I just ask him Does your wife know where that stone as been hanging around her neck ? Alister will back me up on this one Smiler It was so funny because I did not mean to drop the stone.
Aaron I will have to pass, Dances with Horses gives me too many laughs to not drag him along Smiler

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Jeff stuffed it in his pants on purpose. That's what kind of person we are dealing with here.

I would never do that to him. I treat him, his wife and his incredibly hot daughter with the utmost respect.