Find
Notify
Tools

.416- Rigby vs Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ELEANOR! Rigby.

The Rigby will celebrate it's 100th year in the business in 2011. That is a long time...
Will either the Ruger or Remington be around to celebrate 1/4th of that?

More good news, Rigbys only come in rifles with claw extractors.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

The Rigby will celebrate it's 100th year in the business in 2011. That is a long time...
Will either the Ruger or Remington be around to celebrate 1/4th of that?

Rich

IIRC the 416 Rem will turn 25 in 2012. So yes, I believe it will make it to the quarter century mark.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the 416 Ruger doing?
It was punted as the new .416 standard.
Anyone that has some experience with it?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/416_ruger.htm

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It is unlikely the .416 Ruger will never "replace" the Rigby ( or the Remington) - just as the .300 Win and all the various 300's have never "replaced" the 300 H&H. But in my opinion the .416 Ruger is the best designed round of them all. It fits a standard length action and needs no belt. You can look at it as either a modern .425 WR or shortned and modern .416 Rigby.
It does not require a heavy, expensive magnum action and can be made into a handy and as light of weight rifle as you want and still have all the punch of the original Rigby or 404.

I have been carrying one for the past season and it does everything I want a .416 to do in a shorter, handier package. I like it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I've just taken a look at your website and all I can say is, strewth, you live in a paradise...... The fishing esp looks phenomenal! tu2 fishing tu2

And I've got to ask what the wingshooting is like?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with the classic Rigby.

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester has just announced the release of a new model of its popular Model 70 rifle in the form of the Winchester Model 70 Safari Express. The Safari Express is specifically made for African big game hunting.

The Model 70 Safari Express features the famous Pre-1964 style claw extractor, double recoil lugs, a Pachmayr recoil pad, an Express style rear sight and a hooded-blade front sight, as well as Winchester's new M.O.A. adjustable trigger. MSRP is $1279.

Available in .375 H&H, .416 Rem. Mag. and .458 Win. Mag.

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=2975

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warrior,
I have bought two of the new .416's recently from guys on AR. They are out there in abundance. Contact Philny for a lead on one if you need one.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much worse does that light weight 416 kick?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
A lightweight( 7 1/2 pound) 416 does kick but is not uncontrolable. Even my daughter who weighs 110 pounds can shoot it half a dozen times from the bench with no problem and there are not many animals that require that many shots.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote