Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with an elephant hide ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Dick Murray - Murray Custom Leather out of Ft. Worth - does really high quality work, and I wanted to share a picture of a couple of rifle cases he did for me this past month. The elephant hide I had made into a gun slip (S-11 Murray Traditional Gun Slip), with a nice fleecy inside and it's really first rate. This is for my 470 which is appropriate since that's how the elphant hide came to arrive at my house

The zebra hide took a bit of convincing - Dick related how difficult it is to do one of these and how his machine needs cleaning afterward, due to the hair that gets cut and clogs things up. I don't blame him for being reluctant. Smartest move is to just buy one of these commercially. But this zebra was my wife's and we want to use her hide, and so ...

Dick also made up some shell holders from the elephant hide. That stuff looks like it will wear like iron, by the way.

Wanted to share with the folks on this forum. A really fun answer to the question of what to do with the trophy hide. Not inexpensive, but very satisfying.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
That stuff looks great Greg. I can't wait to get my hide shipped from Zimbabwe and call Murray.
Thanks for sharing,
Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that you directed this to Elephant hide, but that Zebra hide case is really something.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote