Find
Notify
Tools

SADNESS over the games death?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted
I often read about where the hunter has a momentary sadness over the animals death apon seeing it laying there before him...me? i do not feel sad..... i feel elation in that i have set out to do with what i had in mind at the onset and finished up with my harvest,elation yes not frigging sadness.Your thoughts?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I cry for Happy :-)

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
An initial sense of sadness for the beautiful animal, then elation for a successful hunt...and sometimes a pained thought about how far away the vehicle is.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
No sadness. Just pure joy, and a sense of relief.

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
An initial sense of sadness for the beautiful animal, then elation for a successful hunt...

Occationally the feeling of sadness, yes. Elation, always I think, as well as a strong feeling of responsibility for taking care of the dead animal in the best way possible. I also agree on the sense of relief.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly a mixed feeling of elation and 'guilt' over the death of the animal, brought on by the fact that it is now tangible...you can touch it (for want of a better description). I guess its an issue of responsibility for killing in some way?

Certainly also a sense of excitement and pride is doing the job properly.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sadness and elation are both natural feelings that true hunters have in taking a life that they cannot create, but have the responsibility of managing as the stewards of this planet.

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Sadness and elation are both natural feelings that true hunters have in taking a life that they cannot create, but have the responsibility of managing as the stewards of this planet.

UEG

Very well said.................

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Use Enough Gun has it right.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
and sometimes a pained thought about how far away the vehicle is.

A few years ago that was 9 miles!!!!!!!!! Dammit I should think more before I pull the trigger!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I am always sad when I first walk up to downed game...sad that I ended the life of a beautiful animal...then happy that I have good meat to eat and happy that the game has had a wild and free life. I should be so blessed as to have the kind of life wild game has! Frowner Smiler

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KAYAKER mentions "GUILT". Guilt is a man made fabricated tool of manipulation created and imposed on us by so many factions of religion and other gruops with obscure trains of thought. It is not a natural thing,but is something that is unfairly programmed into us from such an early age that we grew up never realizing that it was happening, distorting our lives and view of things, and holds us back from enjoying and recieving so many wonderful things.Why people feel the need to "belong" to these hypocrytical organisations amazes me.
I am sure they are the kind of people that go to see a doctor without anything being wrong with them ,but feel a whole lot better if the Doctor sends them out on cruches,and has them coming back forever more to the doctors/religions financial benefit, Cause they keep telling them that now youve started this "treatment" your reliant or rather " enslaved" to us, giving them the impression that they cant live or function without them. ENJOY HUNTING FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH TO YOU.

Disregard the fools of this world, and LIVE!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Death is always a solemn moment. But is just as much a part of the circle of life as birth.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Death may be a solemn moment with the human animal for me too but only for the human.....never solemn in having taking something i set out to take though.

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
A feeling of excitement, but mostly a sense of respect for the animal and thanks to the good Lord for allowing me to be a part it.

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Mo,You said it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Big Mo:
A feeling of excitement, but mostly a sense of respect for the animal and thanks to the good Lord for allowing me to be a part it.

Both very true statements

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use enough gun,that was such a nice saying that I just started a hunter wildlife conservation foundation.I'll make the first donation to my foundation.5 dollars! I'll send them to any hunter-conservation organization that you suggest.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sad, yes, for the cycle of life and death none of us escapes. For me it is a bit like a going to a funeral, where I take a moment to look death in the eye, and know that the life force that has left the game animal will leave me someday too. But I also feel thankful for the chance to hunt, to be the predator that my genes want me to be, and for the meat, hide and bones that I dare not waste out of respect for the game. It is a precious perspective bought with my sweat and the game animal's blood, and one that too damned few people experience anymore, to our species' peril.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yet we participate in the circle of life, and no man can take that lightly.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I always have respect for a harvested trophy an have never felt remorse for its death. I did have a hard time walking up to Jumbo last year. I questioned my rational for killing such a beautiful creature. I never felt guilty or wrong, but just asked myself Why? Those feelings now have changed and I am glad I participated in such a hunt and had the opportunity to harvest such a creature. That been said, I have no desire to hunt Elephant again....now buffalo...I have 6 to my credit and I cant wait for number 7!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Death may be a solemn moment with the human animal for me too but only for the human.....never solemn in having taking something i set out to take though.

Gryphon1 I hope you never share my camp. you have either lost touch of why we hunt or else never learned it to begin with. cats

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:

Gryphon1 I hope you never share my camp. you have either lost touch of why we hunt or else never learned it to begin with. cats

Well i never had you ever figured in to actually even piss in your camp mate!
And if what i wrote in your quote upset you...you really must be a delicate little thing eh?
Once again this fine forum is being brought down by the "hidden agenda" type of poster that attacks for whatever reason (read political)
Hmmm maybe there is something in my signature line that is the real reason for your frivolous little statement re: me Big Grin
And in Australia CATS really does mean something else mate ...true,there are heaps in Oxford st.

Hmmmm maybe my "political" line rings true as this is quoted from one of your great threads cobber

Posted 12 January 2006 04:52
I wish to take the opportunity to offer my thanks to Saeed for making AR possible. At the same time offer my appologized for the behavior of some AR members, whom continue to question your intergrity. TLM/Cats

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'm a minority of one. I never feel sadness or guilt. I feel happy with myself for having made a good shot. I'm really not into this great metaphysical thing about the universe and my having to take care of it and such. I hunt because I LIKE to hunt and the killing is part and parcel of hunting. I believe animals are just that, animals nothing more.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I suppose I'm a minority of one. I never feel sadness or guilt. I feel happy with myself for having made a good shot. I'm really not into this great metaphysical thing about the universe and my having to take care of it and such. I hunt because I LIKE to hunt and the killing is part and parcel of hunting. I believe animals are just that, animals nothing more.

Yes you have put it in a nutshell for us mate..all sounds right enough for me too Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ethic and Tradition of Hunting:

If there is a sacred moment in the ethical pursuit of game, it is the moment you release the arrow or touch off the fatal shot.

If there is a time for reverence in the ethical hunt, it is when you claim, or accept, what you have killed.

Too many have lost touch with the above.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gryphon1 well at least you got my 1/12 post correct. And you're one of the sorry ass pieces of shit that seems to rolling in it with happiness for all the trouble they create.
as for the reinstatement of NitroX what busines is it of yours anyway, other than to stir the shit whom is banned and whom remains.
are all you guys from Oz a bunch of asswipes or what?

One of Us
Picture of safariman
posted Hide Post
While I always feel respect for and a bit of sadness with he killing of any big game animal, for me that feeling was quite profound with the killing of an elephant. I do not pretend to know why, and I do not wish to get real esoteric here, just reporting what I felt. Unsusully larege swings of elation mixed with sadness back and forth like a teeter totter for a while. Now, back at home with the tusks in my trophy room and ele skin boots on the way.... no sorrow and I hope to do it again!

When you are but fifty feet from a beast that can stomp you into a mudpuddle or shred you into fajitas, rest assured he will have your UNDIVIDED attention!! www.aahsomeafricanadventures.com safariman416@hotmail.com

Posts: 66 | Location: Walla Walla Washington | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
gryphon1 well at least you got my 1/12 post correct. And you're one of the sorry ass pieces of shit that seems to rolling in it with happiness for all the trouble they create.
as for the reinstatement of NitroX what busines is it of yours anyway, other than to stir the shit whom is banned and whom remains.

Cats,

Are you dumb, or just unable to communicate effectively with a normal vocabulary? Perhaps you just have no respect for yourself or anyone else?

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps you are correct but then again perhaps I don't much give a shit what you think.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hahahaa and you question MY business you tofu eating cross dresser masquerading as a responsible firearm owner....do you really think that you should actually own a firearm with the way that your mind is working at the moment...hell you might even would to write a book one day,something akin to K Bell`s Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter except yours would be titled
Wanderings Of the Mind by Cats Big Grin
Be easy for you seeing as you did 8 years of college hahaa

PS whats ya favourite tofu brand mate? Aw come on share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And what is your point? you seem to think I'm in hiding or something. hell if you'd ask I'd give you my address (Bath, Pa) my boot size is 12 EE, my wife wears a petite 4 , I drive a Hummer etc etc no big deal to me whom knows it. Hell the guys at my local chapter SCI already know all that stuff.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
perhaps you are correct but then again perhaps I don't much give a shit what you think.

You obviously don't care what anyone else thinks and that's your prerogative. Then, again, I jumped into something that really was none of my business....so for that and for my insults to you, I apologize.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy I've been known to run off at the mouth at times. I had it comming. No big deal, I'll buy the first round should we ever meet. TLM/Cats

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Cats,

Water under the bridge...but I'll take you up on buying the first round! cheers I hope the general tone around here improves soon!

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the general tone around here is like listening to my wife and her sisters on a Sunday afternoon taking turns running down everyother woman in the county. Doesn't anyone have any hunting to talk about?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Back on track....

Sorrow? No way!

I am totally awed each and every time I down a game animal. I think because each animal was different and its own unique challange. That whether it was a doe whitetail, a cottontail or a leopard.

I have hunted and killed animals that people think are 'cute', like giraffe. Well rabbits are very cute too. In some places there are too many of each particular game animal and they need thinning. That giraffe fed a heck of a lot of people. I had no remorse in shooting him or anything else.

The skill I develop (sometimes over years of work) and how much effort I must endure to train for and hunt the various species I seek is intense and serious for me. That is because it is my unique experience, not yours or anyone else's.

That's why I bowhunt, gun hunt, snare, muzzleload, shoot off my front porch and sometimes plain observe.

While the death of the animal is the end of the hunt there is always another. Does any other predator feel sorrow for their kill? Hardly, they are plain happy!

Again, no matter how many deer I kill, they are all a challange, etc. While my success is rare, I PLAN on killing them. When I acheive success, that means my skill has developed, I am happy!

They all challange me further when I decide NOT to take a shot because the animal in front of me doesn't meet MY expectations. Often, day after day I am SAD as all I see are spikes and forkies. When one does meet my expectations it is a shock and surprise to me and my elation at the end of the hunt, the death, is just that...awe, excitement, happiness!

That's my way of showing respect.

Others may feel that sadness is their way of showing respect. Not for me, at least at this point in my hunting career.

The 'awe' is what keeps me hunting. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often feel some sadness, not exactly guilt but I do feel a little sorry for most all creatures I kill.Death is of course part of how things work on this planet and I dont feel that Ive done somthing wrong I feel it is more akin to respect. I kill things for a living but if anything I think that puts me in a position to appreciate the significance of it ( sorry not really trying to be too metaphisical here). The two exceptions would be animals I have raised..always seems a little wrong as they look on me as their provider, and of course RATS... hate em never feel sorry in the least

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Lighthearted, awed, proud, a whole range of emotions. There is nothing like watching a pheasant go down, a rabbit tumble over, deer drop, or an elephant SIT DOWN, and knowing you are the cause. It is one of the things that makes life woth living.

Brian