Find
Notify
Tools

Trophies have arrived....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Well it is 16 days shy of 2 years...My trophies from Zim have arrived and I may be driving to NYC tomorrow to bring them home..
Can't wait to put my ele skull in the yard..And people saying what the hell is that???
Ele foot stools and trashcans...

Mike

16 days till the Selous Cool

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
We'll need pictures. Wink

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, we want to see them BEFORE you leave.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I hope we don't have to wait as long to see these photos as we do to see the photos of NE450No2's safari!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
How come it's taken so long Mike? where were they being mounted? Mine are due in a bout a week and the reason I haven't received them yet was the Taxidermist in RSA was trying to save me money by transporting the raw trophies by land from Zim.

I finally jacked him up short on the telephone and told him to bill me the extra 200 friggin bucks air freight from Bulawayo to Jo'berg cost and get one with it! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well, I was have finished products made gun cases belts and purses for my wife...all from ele hide...Zebra rug
There are no full animal mounts European style...

As for the time line I cannot say but Africa..

Driving to NYC early to pick them up..

Mike clap

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am always surprised when I hear how long it has taken someone to get their trophies back. I was just finishing up my trip to SA a year ago this week, and my mounts have been hanging on the wall for 5 months.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have our own in house licensed taxidermist. This strictly for the dipping, packing, and documentation. The raw trophies from that April/May safari have been in Dallas for over 2 weeks. Wink
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Recovering from shock of what I thought was to be done and what not....
Had ele skin tanned looks good...ammo belts, plain belts and super looking gun cases (4)...
Now feet were not done for stools or trash cans, zebra rug not done....Heads were not boiled...zebra, bushbuck, impala all salted ele feet salted..Were supposed to be tanned and ivory was to be capped...Everything with a few exceptions looked just like when I left...
So only time will tell what or if I get any money back....
Shipping and recovering my trophies was $2200.00 Shipping weight came to 345 pounds...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike, can you itemize your stuff. Trying to get an idea of what my freight charges might be. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Would you mind naming the taxidermist?

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Gentleman, I dont know who the taxidermist was...I delt with safari company and they were to have got this done for me...but did not do
Ele feet 2 stools, 2 trash cans...Cap ivory..
Full zebra rug with head on
Boiled or bleached skulls for European mounts
Bushbuck and impala skins tanned
items were not attched inside of crates ivory was wrapped in cardboard
What was done...
4 guncases from ele skin super looking thumb
ele skin panels tanned and dyed
2 purses for my wife of ele skin

$3000 deposit on taxidermy
Paid Fauna & Flora $2200
$1700 for air freight 2 crates and weighed 300 lbs...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry you have to go through this just as you are ready to head over again. It has got to affect your decision for what to do with this new group of trophies.
It would seem that the Tax. is the real bain of every safari. I read that more people are either burned or at the least disappointed witht he taxidermy than with any other aspect of the safari.
I am glad you at least received your trophies.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote