Find
Notify
Tools

Lufthansa Airlines
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted
Anyone know the ammo and firearm requirements with Lufthansa.The plan is to fly with them from Vancouver to Joburg and transfer to SAA into Zim. but the people at Lufthansa all seem to have different views of their policy.Anyone have first hand experience with this route.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I did the Houston to Frankfurt route and they allowed 5kg of ammo. I had the ammo in a locked container in my cheched bag, which was also locked. I don't know if this was required, but I had no problems.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I didn't have any problems either and that was after 9/11. Flew them from Johannesburg to Frankfurt Atlanta. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had very little problems with them on two trips to date. Nothing was ever said about weight of ammo but I followed the under 10 pounds recommendations from here.

On the first trip back they removed our ammunition from our rifle case. They did later send it on to our home destination but if they had done that on the trip over we would have been.......up a creek.

Since then I make sure my ammo is in a locked box in my checked luggage.

Both times the route was Denver-Frankfurt though.

Hope that helps anyway.

Posts: 105 | Location: Missoula MT | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get in writing what it will cost extra for rifles. Long story short, 4 friends where on SAA flight to Frankfurt from Johanasburg and I had to catch Lufthansa flight, 500 rand extra or couldn't get on plane. Surprise, extra fee every time you change directions. Round trip ticket doesn't state this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I could tell their rules are the same as Air Canada, which is hardly suprising when you consider they are partners. 5 Kilos of ammo packed separately from the gun, 2 guns per case max, trigger locks and a signed declaration that the guns aren't loaded. They will ding you a few bucks (30 Euro?)on the way back, but by then you will be so used to people with their hand out that you won't care anymore. Honest.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not the same route as you are asking about but last month I flew DFW to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and they did weigh the ammo and I did keep it in a TSA locked checked bag that was not the guncase. I did have to sign a form that the gun was unloaded. No mention was made of trigger locks. The guncase had non-TSA locks which concerned the Lufhansa agent but the TSA agent corrected her. On the return flight I did not have to sign a form declaring the gun was unloaded and the ammo I brought back was not weighed.

And as far as I can tell no one added any extra fees for overweight, oversize or guncase.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote