Notify
Tools

Re: Dumb question.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
Quote:

Browning makes the BAR in .338 Win Mag which, to my knowledge, is the largest caliber available in a hunting rifle (no, a Barret .50 BMG is NOT a hunting rifle). Basically there is too great a risk for malfuctions IMHO. Add the infamous African dust to the mix and you've just cooked up a recipe for disaster.

DC300

I read some where that Idi Amin Dada shot game with a 50 cal. But I dont suppose he is someone we should champion as a hunter.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I think another problem with an Autoloading rifle on dangerous came is the possiblity of a jam. A really hard core DGR is built for strength and reliability.

When I built my .458, I researched and replaced every single component, right down to the magazine follower, and cycled every sngle round through the action, feeding from the magazine.Only one way to do that with an auto, and it's a little hard on the ammo, if you know what I mean!

In fact, one of the other big debates on AR has surrounded the Controlled Round feed, versus Push Feed actions.

8 out of ten in these forums will insist on a CRF bolt rifle, or a Double for that reason.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably mounted on the back of a jeep

one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember posts on this forum by someone praising the reliability and effectivness of his FAL when culling buffalo. You have to keep in mind the most dangerous "game" on earth is man and in all wars since the big one self loading weapons have been the predominate arm of choice. I took my personal M1 into the service with me (and believe it or not the Army let me keep it) and cannot really remember a single malfunction with an M1. Wish I could say that for my Bushmaster Varminter.

Posts: 70 | Location: So. Az | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote