THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Recommendations for Carry-On / Day Pack

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for Carry-On / Day Pack
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
I am looking for recommendations for a carry-on bag/day pack with a lot of compartments and durability for African trip. I won't hunt with it but leave it in the truck with gear in it.

There is an old posting about 9 years ago on this subject but I figure their are some different products out now.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Been to Africa three times. Nothing special about the plane ride over or the conditions of riding in a vehicle versus the good ol' USA.

You can spend a lot of money on all kinds of equipment thinking there is something special about Africa. If you have a day pack that works for you here, then it will work for you in Africa.

Save all the money on the best for Africa this and the best for Africa that equipment and shoot an extra Impala or Wharthog.

All that being said JanSport has nice packs and they have a lifetime warranty. Use it abuse it and send it back they will repair or replace.

This model works well for me

https://www.amazon.com/JanSpor...sr=8-4-fkmrnull&th=1

or get a small ALICE army pack

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-...s=1&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me and my money, while they are not cheap, Red Oxx is the only game in town.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jg....which pack do you like....bob

Posts: 40 | Location: lewistown Montana | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As Mike said.

I have several packs I use for different locations; safari, skiing or diving.

Each one chosen for the different bits and pieces I want to take with me.

For safari I actually use a large camera bag, that opens from the top, has a zip compartment in front, two side pockets, and assorted small compartments in the inside of the cover.

Main compartment is just one large space.

In here I put two MTM ammo boxes, camera, video camera, and zip lock bags with snacks and powdered drink mix.

Pockets in the cover have spare memory card, small batteries for my pocket camera.

Side pockets have small bottle of disinfectant, wetwipes, assorted batteries needed, including AA for the Garmin eTRX I always carry.

For skiing and diving, I use backpacks, chosen in a similar way for compartments.

Careful when you chose a backpack, as some seem to be designed by deranged idiots!

They have zipped compartments on the outside that open with the zipper from the bottom!

Who the hell ever designs anything like that?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’m with JGR on the Red Oxx line of bags. Extremely well made, and holds enough clothing and gear for a two week hunt in Namibia. I use camp rifles, so no gun box or ammo. Since I carry everything I need in my Red Oxx, I deprive the thieving native baggage handlers in Jo Berg the opportunity to steal from me, plus I don’t have to wait in line to pick up baggage before going through Customs in Windhoek.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
You could always check the military surplus for back packs. Or if you can go on base and check them out and pick up a lite one.

save you a lot of money over some other bags.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While they can be speedy I am a huge fan of Kifaru for my hunting pack. They have a lot of different models that work great as day packs/carry ons. Mine is an older model and has been there twice and I use it here in the stares for trave as well as elk and deer.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tamrac camera bag.

Designed by people who actually carry small items and need to find them quickly. No more digging around in the bottom of a back pack trying to find the right ammo! Or flashlight, leatherman, batteries, or whatever. Lol!

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used this on all my travels for the past 20yrs.It is not too big and I keep it between my feet in the Land Cruiser.I keep my camera in it along with whatever else I might need for the day.It is very tough bag, looks civilized and I got my moneys worth for it.

[URL= ]Samsonite.[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Red Oxx. Extremely durable components and well made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'm with Mike. Spend your money on the hunt. There is nothing special about a backpack for Africa that would be different than what you would need in the USA. Find something cheap and sturdy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second the votes for Red Ox. Used to use a military surplus but the Red Ox has gone on the last few trips. Draws fewer looks on the plane ride over too. Also like their gun slips, but you will end up giving one to your PH. Trust me.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
PacSafe backpack. I have used it all across the world. Cut proof mesh interwoven in the tough fabric, inner’safe’, anti split zipper system. Nothing comes close to security for your valuables. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Regardless of which one you use it needs to comply with the Carry On dimensions. I saw one rejected as it would not fit in the Check In wire basket. The traveler smashed it in to the basket but the Agent claimed it must drop in all by itself!!!I don't remember the Airline.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry small bag on my belt which contains: gps backtrack, head flashlight, fire starter.
Also I have backpack with satellite phone, medicine, hoody etc. Backpack is usually in the car

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote