THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How many have been to Africa or want to because of Capstick?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many have been to Africa or want to because of Capstick?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
How many have been because of Capstick or want to go to Africa because of Capstick or know someone that went to Africa because of capstick?

I have not been to Africa but I do know that I still plan to go and reading Capstick's "Death In The Long Grass" definately got me to wanting to go.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me, went several times before I ever heard of the guy.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My desire to hunt Africa pre-dates Capstick, I'd have to blame Carl Akeley for lighting the fire, but Capstick fanned the flames, as did Ruark and others

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10434 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My inspriration to go to Africa came from a grandmother, who really didn't want me underfoot. She gave me an old leatherbound copy of African Game Trails by TR when I was 8 years old. It kept me occupied -- for years. I still have what is left of that book, but now have a replacement copy that you can actually read. I knew I would hunt in Africa at that point.

My African library expanded over the years to include everything PHC ever wrote, as well Bell, Hunter, Mellon, Boddington, Harland, Flack, Foran, Blixen, Sullivan, etc. Long story short, my African library is extensive and still expanding. It covers not just hunting but birds, trees, politics, etc.

Was Capstick an influence? Definitely, but the die was cast. Death in the Long Grass was probably the best.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Capstick was the one who got me going to Africa.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only TRIED to read Capstick after I had my second African hunt scheduled. Note the use of the word "tried", I read constantly and found "Death in the Long Grass" to be all but unreadable. I never got more than halfway through it. Obviously my reactions to it are different than many of the Afro-philes, but nonetheless they are mine.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Capstick was one of them, along with Ruark, Roosevelt, Hunter, Hemingway, etc. Thank you PHC: Look what you did for Saeed and for AR! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Reading him didn't help stop the itch. That's for sure.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have wanted to go to Africa since I was a kid after seeing the John Wayne movie "Hatari".

I discovered "Death in the Long Grass" at the libary when I was doing a college report on an African monkey for my anthropology class. I checked out the Capstick book and couldn't put it down until I finished it.

I say "YES"! Capstick is responsible for me going on safari.

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I blame Robert Ruark...

Capstick, I have to take in small doses.

And Hemingway in even smaller sips.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I blame Capstick and Ruark.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Africa and reading Capstick and Ruark brought the thrill of the hunt to a whole bunch of us at boarding school. Me and a number of friends went on to become full time PH's and i strongly believe that Capstick helped fan the desire that led us into becomeing PH's. Fraud or not he has done a lot of good in publisizing DG hunting in Africa and for that we are grateful.

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Ditto!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick was the inspiration for My interest in African hunting and all other things involving the dark continent. I always hoist a cool one to PHC at least once on every safari.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have not gone yet but hope to soon. it was his writing and others that fueled my african dreams.

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it began with Wilbur Smith, then Ruark and PHC.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Me! I had no desire to go to Africa until I read Death in the Long Grass. I had read Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa in high school and it did nothing for me. I have since bought so many books on African hunting, including almost everything PHC wrote, my wife has labeled me OCD. Haven't been yet, but my trip is booked for 2010.

Thank you Mr. Capstick, may you rest in peace!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I don't come from a hunting/shooting family so I didn't even know who Chapstick was. I grew up reading Wilbur Smith books and that is what has fueled my desire to go to Africa.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"eyedoc" who posts here got me interested in going to Africa, and he did give me my first copy of Death in the Long Grass, and introduced me to other African authors previously mentioned. His books definitely fanned my internal fires for Africa and I am as addicted to Africa as a junkie is to dope.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was always interested in nature and the wilderness, and to me Africa was the ultimate wilderness.

If any "reading" got me interested in Africa, it was reading Tarzan comic books from when I was about six years old.

I also think some of Capstick's books are great.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Capstick opened the door and many more have followed.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Death in the Long Grass and Horn of the Hunter did it for me. MMP

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Robert Ruark's "Something of Value," John Wayne's "Hatari" and one of Stewart Granger's films did it for me, and C.J. McElroy showed me how to get there.

I had never heard of Death in the Long Grass or Peter Capstick until a week or so before I met him the first time.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick was the reason I went.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Capstick is the reason I want to go. I love reading his books.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I read Raurk and Hemmingway but found them a bit repetitive. Then I read Capstick and it was inspiring. His writings will be the basis of my going.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert Ruark, Hemmingway and, yes, Chapstick are amoungst those who got me dreaming of Africa.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have asked every PH I've hunted with in Africa what they think of PHC. Without exception, everyone said he was full of crap. Take into account NONE of them had every met PHC, only some hearsay. Obviously clear, all those PH's I asked were jealous of his fame. I told them in no uncertain words, they need to thank him for all the business he sent to Africa due to his writings.
Count me in with Saeed, Rusty and the rest of you guys on this site that thank PHC for what he did for us and that love of our life, "Safari".

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My illness didn't start with a book by anyone!

My passion started before I can remember, to hunt Africa, and all the exotic places of the world before my memory can tell! However, my passion for double rifles that were used there, was fired by a man in a little town in the North end of the Texas hill country at the age of six yrs.back in the early 40s durring WWII.

This man had hunted Africa in the roaring 20s, and 30s, and he owned a little hardware store in the town where my grandfather
traded. He had mounted heads of all sorts of animals in his store, and one day showed me a tatered oak&leather case holding a big double rifle, put it together, and let me hold it, warning me not to drop it, because it was heavy. I was already hooked on hunting the world, but that day was my undoing, sending me ona quest to own a double rifle, and use it on the big animals Mr. Kelly had on his wall!

I never read PHC, or Ruark till after I'd already hunted Africa!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
If Capstick didn't make you want to go to Africa, it's because someone else got to you first. How could you read "Death In The Long Grass" and/or "Death In Silent Places" and not want to go.

To Peter Hathaway Capstick, CHEERS beer

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick sure helped me realize my true desires.
His early stuff was, exicting, entertaning and just fabulous.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick and Pondoro are to blame. beer

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Me too, and met him personally a couple years later.

Also his wife Fiona is a real gem.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick stoked my hunger for Africa, so I went, lived there for 5-1/2 years.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the inspiration pot stirred by PHC might be related to how old you are, but I very much agree with jwp475. How could you read his great and entertaining stories and NOT want to go into the Heart of Darkness.

For me I think it actually started after watching Howard Hill's feature length color movie. Remember? When he killed elephant, python, and a cheetah on the run with a long bow. Holy Crap! I still love to watch the original Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismiller, and I'm 61 years old. Hunter, Bell, and Ruark in high school. There was no turning back after that. PHC just resurrected the latent desires.

I think the desire for tramping primevil Africa is just that. All true hunters eventually gravitate, either for real or in their dreams to Africa. For all her disease, violence, poverty, over population, political intrigue, she is after all............AFRICA!! Majestic, starkly beautiful, wild, enveloping, full of the diversity of human lives and cultures, diversity and variety in plants and animals, basic. Wish I was there now.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Brother, who had several safaries under his belt, lit the flame, but Capstick stoked the fire.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Capstick infected me with his writing in American Hunter. After that, I bought most of his books. Since then it's been two safaris and counting...

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not made it to Africa.....yet.

If I make it there, it will be because of Hemingway, Tarzan, George of the Jungle, and a little Capstick, but mostly because of AccurateReloading.com.

I really want to kill a Leopard, a Giraffe, a Zebras, Buffalo (american and african).

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
President Roosevelt sparks me to want to get
there too. Capstick and all the other good writers
make a guy really strive to put a trip together.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Africa, yet. When I do, it will be because reading PHC created an excitement for hunting that reminds me of how I felt before my first deer hunt. The seeds of wanting to hunt Africa go way back, but reading PHC clearly brought the desire back to the surface.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote