THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is the 416 Weatherby Magnum an effective BUFFALO gun?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 416 Weatherby Magnum an effective BUFFALO gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the 416 Weatherby Magnum an effective BUFFALO gun? What load and velocity do you use, if you have one? AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ima help you out here theres a search engine use it.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Very effective but it's better when Loaded to 2540fps with something like the 400 gr X bullet. The Full chat (2700) is not needed and in fact (IMO) is too fast for buff at close range.

I've got an old friend and hunting buddy who has uses his to great effect on buff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beats me but if the much cheaper Ruger made .416Rigby will take all, why wouldn't it be???? Do you know something we don't??

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point is that many talk about "not loading for too much velocity" - but, obviously, Weatherby had different ideas and created cartridges that produced incredible velocities and kinetic energies for maximum killing effect.

I don't hear many people complaining about how all those wounded buffalo are escaping from being shot with 375 Weatherbys, 378 Weatherbys, 416 Weatherbys, and 460 Weatherbys...etc. Do you think that the "bullet blow-up" problem is a bit overstated? I keep hearing anecdotes about how effective these cartridges are, and one would think that Weatherby would have got the message by now that they were on the wrong track.

Regards, AIU

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They probably work better with the great bullets that are produced now.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
My point is that many talk about "not loading for too much velocity" - but, obviously, Weatherby had different ideas and created cartridges that produced incredible velocities and kinetic energies for maximum killing effect.

I don't hear many people complaining about how all those wounded buffalo escaping from being shot with 375 Weatherbys, 378 Weatherbys, 416 Weatherbys, and 460 Weatherbys...etc. Do you think that the "bullet blow-up" problem is a bit overstated? I keep hearting anecdotes about how effective these cartridges are, and one would think that Weatherby would have got the message by now that they were on the wrong track.

Regards, AIU

LOVE my .375 Wby, he was certainly on track when he created that one.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
short answer, yes, but whats wrong with a rigby or rem?

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO the 416 Rigby and 416 Rem Mag are both underloaded, in fact way under loaded. The 416 Rigby is capable of anything the 416 Weatherby can do. Shooter fatique likely explains why they are not loaded to their potential. AIU

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
AIU, what kind of velocity are you looking for? What do you think is necessary or proper? I have a .416 hoffman, and I load it to 2505 fps with a 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bullet. Is 2500+ enough velo? Do you need that extra 200 fps that the Weatherby can get? Is there anything wrong with a 400 grain bullet @ 2300 fps?

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great case to take advantage of the newer 450gr 416 caliber bullets....more moderate speed and greater bullet weight.

Posts: 20159 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

What's the status of the re-stock of your Hein .450? Any pics yet?

Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe penetration and velocity are both important in maximizing killing power. The bullet needs to reach and pass through vital organs and the faster the better. As a fast moving bullet with abundant kinetin energy and momentum travels through organs the water contained (and other tissue components) are pushed out of the way and given lateral velocity, hence creating lateral hydroshock and a very large channel of tissue damage. The more velocity (kinetic energy) and momentum the bullet has, the greater and more devastating this effect. North Fork has shown that a well constructed bullet will penetrate very deeply, even when fired at very high velocity. Indeed, NF claims their bullets increase depth of penetration with increasing velocity. Why not combine the best of both worlds for maximum effect.

DLS, bullet placement into vital organs is more imporant that anything else. But, given one can shoot straight, why not go with a high-velocity, heavy-for-caliber, premium big game bullet. I also have 400 gr. TBBC bullets, which I'll load in my 416-375 RUM (416 UltraCAT). I plan to load them at 2700 fps and shoot the buffalo right through the heart, but I'll likely aim for a high anterior lung shot, hoping to hit the top of the heart. If I miss the heart, the damage to the lungs and nearby great vessels from the hydrostatic wound channel should be devastating, possibly even causing lethal injury to the heart as it passes nearby.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe penetration and velocity are both important in maximizing killing power. The bullet needs to reach and pass through vital organs and the faster the better. As a fast moving bullet with abundant momentum travels through organs the water contained (and other tissue components) are pushed out of the way and given lateral velocity, hence creating lateral hydroshock and a very large channel of tissue damage. The more velocity (kinetic energy) and momentum the bullet has, the greater and more devastating this effect. North Fork has shown that a well constructed bullet will penetrate very deeply, even when fired at very high velocity. Indeed, NF claims their bullets increase depth of penetration with increasing velocity. Why not combine the best of both worlds for maximum effect. Regards, AIU

A .416" or .423" 400 grain bullet (North Fork, Barnes, or similar constructed soft or solid) at 2350-2500 fps will reach the vitals and beyond on anything that walks the earth today....

To each his own but another 200 fps is just a waste of powder and adds a significant amount of recoil...just not needed at DG ranges.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo have been killed with arrows, which can reach the vital organs. But, which would you rather reach the vital organs with - an arrow or your 400 gr. TBBC bullet hitting the buffalo with an impact velocity of 2500 fps.?

Let me extend the question, which would you rather reach the immediate vacininty of the vital organs with - a 400 gr. TBBC with an impact velocity of 2500 fps or 2700 fps. Both will likely do the job, but given the choice I'd go with 2700 fps. 2700 fps is achieveable with modern technology.

Regards AIU

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sure - great for:

Cape buffalo

Kudu

Impala - a few of them, actually

and
an old, toothless Blue Wildebeest

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buffalo have been killed with arrows, which can reach the vital organs. But, which would you rather reach the vital organs with - an arrow or your 400 gr. TBBC bullet hitting the buffalo with an impact velocity of 2500 fps.?

Let me extend the question, which would you rather reach the immediate vacininty of the vital organs with - a 400 gr. TBBC with an impact velocity of 2500 fps or 2700 fps. Both will likely do the job, but given the choice I'd go with 2700 fps. 2700 fps is achieveable with modern technology.

Regards AIU

Since when were we talking about arrows?

Have you ever hunted with or for that matter shot an unbraked 416 or 378 weatherby, fully loaded in a 9.5+/- pound rifle? I have and in my view they are just not needed.

I have shot plenty of Buffalo with 375s, 416s, 404s, 458, etc, the velocity ranges you are considering are just not needed, in my view.

I will gladly take 2500 fps over the 2700 fps but make my bullet either North Fork or Barnes....

Have you considered going up in caliber, say a 458 @ 2200-2300 fps will give you a bigger thump than a 416?

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biebs,

What's the status of the re-stock of your Hein .450? Any pics yet?

Andy

Andy, all the metalwork is done (quarter rib, barrel band, etc) and the stock is in process.

Posts: 20159 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and

Paul, don't talk about your father that way!!!!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
and

Paul, don't talk about your father that way!!!!

Jon,
You are an evil bastard!

Now I have to give the friggin dog a bath again since he got a face full of coffee!

Besides, my father still has a tooth!

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
2700 fps is achieveable with modern technology.

Regards AIU

Even 2,800fps using Reloder 25, N570 and MRP2 with 400grain softs and solids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume that's with a 416 Weatherby with a 24" barrel - correct? AIU

quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
2700 fps is achieveable with modern technology.

Regards AIU

Even 2,800fps using Reloder 25, N570 and MRP2 with 400grain softs and solids.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Yes though my current .416 Weatherby has a 26" barrel and with N570 can send a 400 grain Swift A-frame through the Oehler 35P at 2,897 fps with no signs of pressure in mid-90s temperature.

I keep it to mid 2,700s for the most part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's SMOKIN'!!! - ~2900 fps. The best I can hope for with my 416 UltraCAT will be ~2740 fps with 400 gr. Noslers. But, IMO that'll be enough. Regards, AIU

quote:
Yes though my current .416 Weatherby has a 26" barrel and with N570 can send a 400 grain Swift A-frame through the Oehler 35P at 2,897 fps with no signs of pressure in mid-90s temperature.

I keep it to mid 2,700s for the most part.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Layne Simpson in his book says the 416 Weatherby with a 400gr bullet@ 2700 fps is the most impressive buffalo round he's ever seen/

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote