New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lechwe Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many different types of Lechwes are there? Is there a difference in the Red Lechwe from Botswana and the Kafue Lechwe in Zambia?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There are various lechwe occurring in different areas. See here:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...-species-i-to-n.html

And here:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...buck-kob-lechwe.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Thanks. I had heard about 4 Lechwe but now I know for sure - Nile, Red, Black and Kafue Lechwe.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Always a pleasure to be of help buddy! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Steve,
Thanks. I had heard about 4 Lechwe but now I know for sure - Nile, Red, Black and Kafue Lechwe.

Yep and the reds are found in Botswana, Kaprivi in Namibia and part of the Kafue in Zambia.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, but what about the "Common Lechwe" in South Africa?

I thought these were transplanted Red Lechwe, am I mistaken? Is this a "created species" for record books?

Posts: 10794 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge there are no lechwe indiginous to South Africa and so I assume the animals you're talking about must be some kind of introduction.

Sorry I can't be of more help on that one.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
OK, but what about the "Common Lechwe" in South Africa?

I thought these were transplanted Red Lechwe, am I mistaken? Is this a "created species" for record books?

Not a chance. They have them, but in no way are they indiginous. The farthest south they go (naturally) is the Okavango in Northern Botswana.

Natural Distribution:

red lechwe - Namibia's Caprivi, Botswana's Okavango, and Zambia's Kafue region

Kafue lechwe - Zambia's Kafue region

black lechwe - Zambia's Bangwelu region

Nile lechwe - Sudan and others????

They may have been transplanted to ranches in other areas, but they don't naturally occur there.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is correct. The lechwes found in RSA are reds that have been introduced.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
They are introduced, and if I remember correctly { Chappie Sparks did the research} a farmer in the Eastern Cape obtained two pair from the Pretoria Zoo way way back. They have gone forth and multiplied. It you have a look the photos that Shakari has provided, you will see that on the red lechwe, the dark brown on the front leg does not go all the way up to the shoulder. whereas the dark brown on the front leg of the Kafue goes up onto the shoulder.
Someone did try and introduce the red lechwe, but they did not take to swampless existence.

The Kafue manages quite well on dryland provided drinking water is available. Of course they are marketed as "reds" as Kafue's horns are longer. sofa

As an aside, with the advent of the bio diversity horse wallop, East Cape Parks have got rid of all their lechwe, as well as blue wildebeest, waterbuck, nyala and will still get rid of other species that did not historically occur in the Eastern Cape.

There are rumours that land owners will also have to get rid of such species. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote