Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle caliber
 Login/Join

posted
I'm taking the plunge. I went by and got measred by the Searcy gang at the SCI show. I'm having difficulty making up my ming on caliber. I have a 375, but I would like to use this new double for more than just buffalo. I would like to use it elk hunting in the trees also. There have been many comments about 470's having too much recoil to handle adequately but I shoot a 10 guage for geese. Is it much worse? Searcy recommmends the 470 because of availability of ammo. I have also read where Adkinson recommends the 400/450. Will this stop a charge from a buffalo? Is the recoil adn weight much less than the 470? The Searcy guys say the recoil will tear your index finder up without the articulating trigger. Any help is much appreciated.

Posts: 19 | Location: montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
DRD,

As for a double the 470 ammmo is available very easy to get hold of...The 450/400 will stop a buf charge, however once he is coming a spine or brain is the only thing that will stop him...
As for recoil I will send you a PM on how my ph told me to shoot the 458 Lott and not get the snot knocked out of you.. With quick recovery time...
The 450/400 has energy of 4000lbs at muzzle and the 470 is 5100lbs.
Good luck with your decision...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Retreever: Why not tell all of us how to shoot the .458 Lott and not get the snot knocked out of you? I would be interested in your secret technique since I too own and shoot a .458 Lott. Please post.

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Retreever: Why not tell all of us how to shoot the .458 Lott and not get the snot knocked out of you? I would be interested in your secret technique since I too own and shoot a .458 Lott. Please post.

UEG

1 OR 2 MERCURY RECOIL REDUCERS, DEPENDING ON THE WEIGHT OF THE RIFLE, AND LIMIT YOUR VELOCITY TO AROUND 2200 FPS. KILLING THE LEADWOOD TREE BEHIND THE ELEPHANT OR BUFFALO, IS NOT REALLY NECESSARY.

BRAD

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with .470 for both ammo availability and re-sale value if it ever comes to that. As for the severity of the recoil from a .470, I think you will find that when shooting a rifle that truly "fits", recoil is substantially more tolerable.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
John,
What ever came of the Chapuis deal?

Roscoe

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
If you want to use it for other things, the .450-400 might be the way to go, especially if you are interested in the antelope species.

Personally, I would get it in .470 - recoil is recoil and if you practise enough, you learn to manage it.

Also, AR has a new Double Rifle forum! You might want to post this over there too.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
If you want to use it for other things, the .450-400 might be the way to go, especially if you are interested in the antelope species.

Personally, I would get it in .470 - recoil is recoil and if you practise enough, you learn to manage it.

Also, AR has a new Double Rifle forum! You might want to post this over there too.

YOUR 577 LOOKS GORGEOUS. TRY TO KEEP FROM SLOBBERING ALL OVER YOUR KEYBOARD.

BRAD

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad:

Thank you, kind sir! My father and I are going to be very happy with what Butch put together for us, I do believe!

From what the guys said who saw it at SCI, the pictures don't do it justice.

Only a few days until I get to see it with my very own eyes!

FRIDAY!!!!

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
retreever,

I, too, would love to hear about your technique.

BTW, I look forward to meeting you on Friday night.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
drd39,

Please do yourself a favor and get the 450/400 3 inch with 26 inch barrels. You will find excuses to hunt more with it and it won't kick the snot out of you.

I take nothing away from the 470 it's been there done that and kicked their asses. The 470 NE is the double rifle round that all others are judged by!

Of the several folks that I know, including my ownself, who own 450/400 3 inch rifles, I don't know of a person who is dissatisfied with the round. A friend from Corpus killed 4 elephants this past year with his new Searcy 450/400 3 inch. He was astounded by the great penetration of the 400 grain .411 bullets.

If you are going to Africa shoot your double then come home and sell it, get the 470. If you want a rifle to hunt with a bunch, a rifle that won't beat you up, a rifle you can hand down to your children. . .Get the 450/400 3inch.
You'll never regret the choice!
Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Brad:

Thank you, kind sir! My father and I are going to be very happy with what Butch put together for us, I do believe!

From what the guys said who saw it at SCI, the pictures don't do it justice.

Only a few days until I get to see it with my very own eyes!

FRIDAY!!!!

IF YOU HAVE THE MEANS, PLEASE TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES FROM EVERY POSSIBLE ANGLE AND E-MAIL THEM TO ME. AS YOU KNOW, I WILL BE DOING THE FINAL SIDEPLATE WORK, AS WELL AS ALL OF THE STOCK WORK MYSELF ON MINE. YOUR PICTURES WILL HELP A LOT WITH MY FINAL PLANNING. I KNOW THE PICTURES WILL CAUSE MORE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT. I'M GLAD YOU WILL BE GETTING A CHANCE TO SEE YOURS - I WILL ONLY SEE MINE WHEN IT ARRIVES.
I WILL POSSIBLY BE SEEING BUTCH & 2 OF HIS EMPLOYEES LATER IN THE YEAR ON HUNTS DOWN THIS END OF THE WORLD.

BRAD

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

Saw your dad's gun at Butch's booth, awesome your guys are going to love it. Have a great time in Dallas. I did in Reno and I was lucky at the tables to boot!!!!

Maineguide

Posts: 75 | Location: Dover NH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
May want to consider the 500/416

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who shoots a 10 gauge will have no trouble with the 470 Nitro Express. 470's also have the highest resale value of all the double rifle calibers.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
500/416. Most versatile double round on the planet (humble opinion only... let's keep it civil). It can be loaded and used on PG or it can be loaded to knock an ele off its feet.
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll just say that the recoil from my 10 1/2lb SxS 10ga, which I also shoot geese with, isn't as "bad" as the recoil from my 10 1/2lb SxS 458 DR, 500gr at 2090fps.

You won't really notice recoil with either when you shoot game but its rare that you shoot stationary targets of any kind with a 10ga. Maybe a handfull of cripples a year. You will surely notice the recoil during practice sessions with the DR, so neccessary to be proficient for the shots on game.

You can get a Searcy 450/400 at 9 1/2lbs, the missing pound, +/-, sounds atractive to me for a more than DG rifle.

FWIW

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drd39!

My opinion is a little different then the others on this thread. If you looking for a double rifle caliber primarily for elk with a possible buffalo somewhere along the line, I would go with in the 375 Flanged caliber. It will work just fine for the occasional buffalo but will be lighter to carry and more suitable for hunting elk, moose and bear in North America. In fact it would make a great timber cartridge for whitetail deer. Have it scoped and you will have a 250-300 yd elk rifle as well as a great plains game, lion buff and if need be, an elephant rifle. Although I have taken a couple of bull elk with a Jeffery 450/400 it wasn't scoped so 125 yds was my effective range limit. JMHO.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drd39,

If you are going to keep and use the rifle I would suggest the 450/400. It weighs less, kicks less and will be a heck of a North American game rifle. Have it regulated with a 1.5-5 scope?

My lighter 450/400 is 9 1/4#. That is more weight than I sometimes care to carry hunting out here in WY. Therefore I had to purchase a Chapuis 9.3 x 74R. Try that logic on your wife!

Consider the experienced opinions of the two R's...Ray and Rusty.

Howard.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a .400 with 26" barrels.
--------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IF YOU HAVE THE MEANS, PLEASE TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES FROM EVERY POSSIBLE ANGLE AND E-MAIL THEM TO ME. AS YOU KNOW, I WILL BE DOING THE FINAL SIDEPLATE WORK, AS WELL AS ALL OF THE STOCK WORK MYSELF ON MINE. YOUR PICTURES WILL HELP A LOT WITH MY FINAL PLANNING. I KNOW THE PICTURES WILL CAUSE MORE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT. I'M GLAD YOU WILL BE GETTING A CHANCE TO SEE YOURS - I WILL ONLY SEE MINE WHEN IT ARRIVES.

Brad:

No problem!!!!!!!

577NitroExpress

posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 19 | Location: montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote