Borderline - advice and opinion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Just a thought:

3 waterbottles ? ie 3 liter of water only???? and you plan on walking how many Km a day ?

My own experience, I served served in Special Forces in the 80's in the SADF and from own experience..... you will require logistical support to supply water over some parts of your trek.

If the ambient mid day temperature is going to be in the 30's or high 30's and you are going to be walking in direct sun with a pack you will need in excess of at least 10 to 12 liter of water a day if not more.

If you were walking in high summer your need will go to about 19 liter a day. These are minimum numbers and in my humble opinion the major obstacle in your way.

Alf,

I was not suggesting one liter bottles - I will get the biggest ones I can, within reason. I will be heading off from Vic Falls walking west, to Kazangula. Plenty of water on that stretch. Going down the Bots border is another story, but we have had a good season and there are pans all along that section (Matetsi) to Hwange. Hwange, well, who knows because I certainly don't! Anyhow, I have to be with a ranger through Hwange, and I'm sure he'll know where to find water. Maybe I'll get 2x5 liter bottles, I'll figure it out. My point here is that the first stretch along the Zambezi is going to be a safe education on what my water requirements/carrying capacity will be for the rest of the trek. I have always known that water will be the biggest problem, but only in certain areas. It will be no issue through the Zambezi Valley, Limpopo Valley and eastern highlands. That covers three phases of the journey. Problem areas are the western boundary and Gonarezhou/lowveld.
Thanks for the input, good to keep mulling these issues over...

Oday450,

This is a bare bones list, I don't want to go over the top. Yes, there are sure to be things added, but basically this is it. Maps, masking tape, water purifying tablets - I must add those now. Toilet paper comes under toiletries, and there are other small things which people have mentioned which will go in first aid and survival kit, you know? I will work out what is to go in those kits, but also keep it to a bare minimum. Underwear? What is that?
Thanks for the pointers

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Dave

Are you adamant 100% that you want to do it ALONE ...

OR would you be open to CONSIDER other genuine thrill seeker/adventures joining you.

Maybe an adventure team might be an option to consider, with cameraman and others as/if required.

I believe with the right mix you might/can get backers for the project, just a thought anyhow

Keep up the dream

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
Dave

Are you adamant 100% that you want to do it ALONE ...

OR would you be open to CONSIDER other genuine thrill seeker/adventures joining you.

Maybe an adventure team might be an option to consider, with cameraman and others as/if required.

I believe with the right mix you might/can get backers for the project, just a thought anyhow

Keep up the dream

Cheers, Peter

Peter,

I am open to all suggestions and would enjoy company. For a long time I thought of hiring a guy to accompany me, but decided I don't want someone who is just doing a job, you know? If someone else decides to come along for the stroll or part of it, it should be because they want to.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

Peter,
I am open to all suggestions and would enjoy company. For a long time I thought of hiring a guy to accompany me, but decided I don't want someone who is just doing a job, you know? If someone else decides to come along for the stroll or part of it, it should be because they want to.

Dave

Dave,

Just incidentally, my ArcView mapping program measures, by a "string on the outline method", but quite a sophisticated one, the distance around Zimbabwe, give or take a few as 2642.22 kilos.

I do want to, just for the adventure of it, and to enjoy your good company, join you on a long stretch. How long? Not the whole way, but as far as I can make it from where I join you. By 'make it' I mean keep up with your preferred hiking speed and not slow you down. I'll find my own way back to a cold beer, nice meal and a soft bed once I start slowing you down.

I'll be there with my fully prepared self-reliant backpack waiting for you. Where? When?

Enjoy planning.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello Andrew,

Thanks for doing that mapping. I came up with about 2900 as the distance to be covered, but am sure your method is far more accurate. Why I reckon we will probably end up covering 3000 + is because of deviations we will undoubtedly encounter(rivers etc). And there are so many little kinks in the boundary - can only really be appreciated when one looks at a detailed 1: 50 000 map.

As I have said, you are more than welcome to join me on any stage of the walk, for as long as you wish. Maybe we could hook up in Beitbridge and you could join me on the Limpopo/lowveld stretch? I think that will be a very interesting stretch and will take place in August, if things go according to plan. I know you would love to do a section of the Zambezi Valley, but we will be in the Valley later in the year, and it will be very hot. A very enjoyable leg is going to be the final one - Kariba to Vic Falls - but I envisage that taking place early 2010. Your call my friend, but you are welcome to join me at any stage, for as long as you like. Beitbridge - Gonarezhou may be worth considering - it would be easy to arrange a pick up from the lowveld for you, and we'll undoubtedly take a break when I get to my brother's camp at Mahenya in any case. By that stage we'll probably be a little hungry. Why don't you do a couple of legs? Couple of weeks on the Limpopo side, couple of weeks in the Zam Valley? All up to you - thanks for the interest.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
David,

The Limpopo Valley sounds exciting. August 6th to 11th I have a confirmed fully paid in advance hunt, but can join you wherever you are by the weekend of 14 August.

I have a special interest in the Devils Gorge section in that I have [Or had (?) depending a bit on the political developments within Zimbabwe] the Devils Gorge as concession area. Won't it be nice to do some "hunting" for elephant, buffalo and plains game while walking? By hunting I mean we will look for, while walking the route, to see if there is something like a 50" buff or a 100 lb elephant to come back for at a later stage!In all honsety the only animal likely to be found near the river once we enter the actual Devils Gorge just west of Binga is bushbuck! Different story if we walk along the top of the gorge: There I have GPS waypoints of a number of seasonal water holding pans.

I'll start getting myself really walking and backpack-carrying fit to be able to meet up with you in about August. The Beitbridge to Gonarhezou stage will tell if I should also be joing you from Binga, or even the Zambezi Valley?

Let all know as soon as your website is running.

You mention 1:50000 maps, do you actually have these? Electronic copies will make my day, but paper can be scanned and brought into ArcView also.

In good hunting.

Andrew

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
David, I am jealous of you and your upcoming expedition...
You know you have to come to Dallas safari club convention and tell many of us personally about your experiences...
A trip of a lifetime and be safe...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,
+1 on the rope or paracord. Useful stuff. My envy for you is only overcome by my respect. Very best wishes to you and all who can join you on your excellent adventure.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Good day,

The good news is that, as a result of this post, a hunting/adventure magazine, http://www.africanxmag.com/, has contacted me and offered sponsorship in exchange for articles. Looks like a great magazine and can be read online! It must be the first online hunting magazine ever.

Andrew: All is good - I will keep in touch and call you from both Plumtree and Beitbridge. Somehow we'll fit it in. I did have some 1:50 000 maps but will need to get new ones from the surveyor general in Harare.

Mike: I shall definitely be coming to the US in 2010/2011, and shall definitely be attending the Dallas convention as well as others. I look forward to meeting you all

Kevin: thanks for the encouragement, rope has been added to the list, as has quick clot.

Thank you very much for everything guys, I am getting very excited about this...

Dave