Find
Notify
Tools

Cecil the lion shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What to you think seems a lot of BS pushed by the anti's

A hunter has killed Cecil the lion – a celebrity lion of sorts at the Hwange National Park, the largest game reserve in Zimbabwe. Cecil, 13, was lured off the reserve, shot with a crossbow and arrow and left injured for two days before he was killed and skinned. His head was removed by the hunter and taken as a trophy

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I think if you will check the other threads about this things are pretty convoluted on several levels concerning the killing of this particular animal.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hunters point of view
" Big old lion was killed by successful hunter in hunting concession south of Hwange "
" The lion was 13 years of age and at the end of his natural life.
What a story
Congratulations to Mr Hunter

As simple as that boys...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Hunters point of view
" Big old lion was killed by successful hunter in hunting concession south of Hwange "
What a story

Hardly that simple for all the hunters that will have to deal with the fallout of Mr. Hunter's selfish and ill-considered actions.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Hunters point of view
What a story

Remember this statement when we are all standing around crying in our Wheaties wondering what happened to Lion hunting then African hunting. We are under the microscope and this was an epic fail.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Good Evening All.

I am posting this on all the relevant links on this subject, as I believe we have been able to gather information and fact, hopefully devoid of emotion circulating at present, and which I think will answer many of the questions being posed. Please visit www.africanhunteronline.com to see “Lion Conservation Under Threat - Cecil the Lion, the Facts”.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not get the link too work.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
When you go to the link, just scroll down. The article is below the picture at the top of the page.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not this hunters point of view.

Or any other sportsmans'...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to go to trial with the given name "Honest Trymore". Sorry.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Did Walter Palmer consider Zimbabwe’s “specially designated nationals”? They are associated with corrupt or illegal practices have been so designated by the US Treasury Department, their assets have been blocked, and US companies and citizens are generally prohibited from dealing with them

The wildlife industry in Zimbabwe is riddled with SDNs. The ex-wife of military supremo Constantine Chiwenga, Jocelyn, probably tops the list. She owns Kazungula Safaris and has been linked to, Dawie Groenewald. Cabinet ministers Ignatius Chombo and Obert Mpofu control a number of hunting operations in and around Hwange, Chiredzi, Magunje, Chirundu and Victoria Falls. Major General Engelbert Rugeje is one of the crooks in the Save Valley debacle, and former Environment Minister Francis Nhema who controlled National Parks and facilitated the distribution of hunting concessions countrywide and along the way he awarded concessions in Tuli and Makuti to members of his family.

Gwayi Valley Conservancy, Hwange National Park and the Matetsi Safari areas have been under fire from poaching cartels masquerading as legitimate safari companies since the beginning of the millennium.

Two South African brothers, Piet and Hendrik Uys, owners of Northern Weapons in Louis Trichadt embarked on extensive illegal hunts in the Gwayi Conservancy, and Andre De Jaager and R M Saunders hunted around Sotani Ranch and Lugo Ranch - owned by vice president Nkomo. South African Mark Sparrow of Fair Chase Safaris in Polokwane hunted extensively and illegally on Hankano Ranch and Lot 1 of Dete Valley.

Henry Neil of Cape Town has been described as controversial. He is a minister in the Rock of Africa Christian mission. Using God’s work as a cover and living and working out of Kalambeza Lodge he laid waste to the Gwayi Valley Conservancy.

Frenchman Jerome Sefridi, ran Indaba Safaris in Bulawayo and brought dozens of hunters from France to hunt illegally in the Gwayi Conservancy. What these people had in common was corrupt politicos who made it all possible.

Former Mines and Mining Development Minister Obert Mpofu was the one who took over lots 40 and 41 of the Hwange Estate - home to Zimbabwe’s prestigious Presidential Elephant Herd. In much the same way Nhema handed out lucrative hunting concessions to the party favourites, Mpofu was the one who facilitated the influx of many of the poaching syndicates. Francis Nhema went on record saying "Anyone who shoots at the presidential herd is as bad as someone shooting at the president. When you shoot at these animals, you can expect to be shot back at. If you kill them, you will also be killed. No one should compromise the presidential herd.” Hmmm. Who gave them to Mpofu?

Joshua Nkomo’s daughter Thandiwe carried out an illegal hunting operation around Dete and Brigadier General Ben Matiwaza was involved in illegal hunting in the Gwayi Valley Conservancy. Ivory Safaris in the Sikumi Forest of Hwange National Park was owned by two Britons and employed a Zimbabwean professional hunter take its foreign clients on illegal safaris around the forest area.

By the middle of the first decade of the new millennium not only were illegal poaching cartels operating with political impunity, the players were also scamming the government. Ben Matiwaza was one of a number of operators arrested for exchange control violations, whereby they made false declarations to the Zimbabwean revenue authorities concerning the value of hunting trophies. The safaris were undervalued in-country, and the excess payments were credited to the operators' overseas bank accounts. Fast forward to 2015, and Ben Matiwaza and Lalapanzi Safaris are still going strong.
All of the above is just a condensed history lesson – the real point, is, did Walter Palmer bother to check if Honest Ndlovu was an SDN? He could have been in much deeper shit had that been the case. I looked. Ndlovu isn’t on the list, but you can bet he’s related to some who are. All hunters coming to Zimbabwe need to be aware of this implication!

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
It's the new thing; name the animal and then if anyone kills it there will be mass hysteria. Next it will be Floyd the raccoon, Mickey the Mouse, etc.

Oh, and Punxsutawney Phil.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
In that vein, didn't Boobberg drop a groundhog to its ultimate demise a couple of years back? Where was the outrage then?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Did Walter Palmer consider Zimbabwe’s “specially designated nationals”? They are associated with corrupt or illegal practices have been so designated by the US Treasury Department, their assets have been blocked, and US companies and citizens are generally prohibited from dealing with them

The wildlife industry in Zimbabwe is riddled with SDNs. The ex-wife of military supremo Constantine Chiwenga, Jocelyn, probably tops the list. She owns Kazungula Safaris and has been linked to, Dawie Groenewald. Cabinet ministers Ignatius Chombo and Obert Mpofu control a number of hunting operations in and around Hwange, Chiredzi, Magunje, Chirundu and Victoria Falls. Major General Engelbert Rugeje is one of the crooks in the Save Valley debacle, and former Environment Minister Francis Nhema who controlled National Parks and facilitated the distribution of hunting concessions countrywide and along the way he awarded concessions in Tuli and Makuti to members of his family.

Gwayi Valley Conservancy, Hwange National Park and the Matetsi Safari areas have been under fire from poaching cartels masquerading as legitimate safari companies since the beginning of the millennium.

Two South African brothers, Piet and Hendrik Uys, owners of Northern Weapons in Louis Trichadt embarked on extensive illegal hunts in the Gwayi Conservancy, and Andre De Jaager and R M Saunders hunted around Sotani Ranch and Lugo Ranch - owned by vice president Nkomo. South African Mark Sparrow of Fair Chase Safaris in Polokwane hunted extensively and illegally on Hankano Ranch and Lot 1 of Dete Valley.

Henry Neil of Cape Town has been described as controversial. He is a minister in the Rock of Africa Christian mission. Using God’s work as a cover and living and working out of Kalambeza Lodge he laid waste to the Gwayi Valley Conservancy.

Frenchman Jerome Sefridi, ran Indaba Safaris in Bulawayo and brought dozens of hunters from France to hunt illegally in the Gwayi Conservancy. What these people had in common was corrupt politicos who made it all possible.

Former Mines and Mining Development Minister Obert Mpofu was the one who took over lots 40 and 41 of the Hwange Estate - home to Zimbabwe’s prestigious Presidential Elephant Herd. In much the same way Nhema handed out lucrative hunting concessions to the party favourites, Mpofu was the one who facilitated the influx of many of the poaching syndicates. Francis Nhema went on record saying "Anyone who shoots at the presidential herd is as bad as someone shooting at the president. When you shoot at these animals, you can expect to be shot back at. If you kill them, you will also be killed. No one should compromise the presidential herd.” Hmmm. Who gave them to Mpofu?

Joshua Nkomo’s daughter Thandiwe carried out an illegal hunting operation around Dete and Brigadier General Ben Matiwaza was involved in illegal hunting in the Gwayi Valley Conservancy. Ivory Safaris in the Sikumi Forest of Hwange National Park was owned by two Britons and employed a Zimbabwean professional hunter take its foreign clients on illegal safaris around the forest area.

By the middle of the first decade of the new millennium not only were illegal poaching cartels operating with political impunity, the players were also scamming the government. Ben Matiwaza was one of a number of operators arrested for exchange control violations, whereby they made false declarations to the Zimbabwean revenue authorities concerning the value of hunting trophies. The safaris were undervalued in-country, and the excess payments were credited to the operators' overseas bank accounts. Fast forward to 2015, and Ben Matiwaza and Lalapanzi Safaris are still going strong.
All of the above is just a condensed history lesson – the real point, is, did Walter Palmer bother to check if Honest Ndlovu was an SDN? He could have been in much deeper shit had that been the case. I looked. Ndlovu isn’t on the list, but you can bet he’s related to some who are. All hunters coming to Zimbabwe need to be aware of this implication!

I agree this may well be the client's biggest problem here in the US.

If these idiots had a brain, they would have let him ship the skin. Then the Lacey Act may have come into play.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't agree more on the "brain" part, but with the ivory ban in place this will probably be a "hey guys, look what we're doing" show trial and they need to grandstand in Zim. The real interest now is whether Ndlovu walks free.