Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
What calibre for a woman

I haven't shot many women but they can get mean and nasty on occasion! Prone to charge... especially with your card when you're stuck with paying the bill! I dunno... 458 Lott? Big Grin

A double in a minimum 450NE for they often charge at close quarters and can have quite a thick skull. Roll Eyes

When not charging, the a 7x57 or 9.3x62 would be a sterling choice.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
maybe my thinking differs from most here, but I think that there should be no difference in calibre between a man and a woman. I do obviously understand that the fairer sex is nervous of heavy recoil etc, however sure we should be making the same choices as ethical hunters regardless of whether we are male or female. Ie best calibre for particular species.

Please dont get me wrong. I have been through the same dilemna. My wife is an accomplished hunter and started off very nervous about any sort of heavy calibre. I spent a lot of time on the range slowly climbing through and testing various calibres. She is now confident and comfortable with her 375, and has shot plenty of game with it over the years . It was simply about use and confidence. Put anyone in a Mac Truck for the first time and they will be nervous. Once they get used to it and learn the feel of it, it is more familiar and they relax....same with a firearm

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've taken my wife to the range a couple of times, she loved it and never flinched at any of the recoil at all, she was shooting my 30-06 with 180gn Fedral Fusions and my 6.5x55 with home loads in it. In fact she was a very good shot considering it was her first time. Her best group suprised me as it was with the 06 and was about 1" at 100 yards - and that might have been due to the fouling in the barell if I'd cleaned it before we went i'm sure her group would have been better. The recoil may have been more mild on my 06 as it's fitted with a moderator that really does turn it onto a pussycat to shoot. But as others have said sex makes no difference to what rifle someone shoots, it's all down to what the person is comfortable shooting and what they like.

Posts: 101 | Location: Home Counties | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I went thru a few rifles looking to find my wife the right one. I let her pick it out and it was all over. She has a Steyr ultra light in a 7mm/08. Great little round does a lot of stuff good. 140's work well on damn near everything. I like the 308 too. I'm sure if you let her pick what feels right you will have a winner

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never having seen a .243 that gave really first class accuracy (reliably with factory ammo)...

Ganyana,

With all due respect sir...you must have NOT been around many .243 Win's.

They are known in the states as being one of the most inherently accurate rounds in many rifles shooting almost any factory ammo.

I have seen many .243 Win's that would shoot less than an inch out of the box with just about anything you fed them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Never having seen a .243 that gave really first class accuracy (reliably with factory ammo)... the little 6,5x55 is a very pleasant shooting round, and available in a wide range of ammo styles suitable for everything from springbok at 300m (130grn @2990fps) to kudu up close (156grn @2560fps)

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused bewildered

Damn!Ganyana, You must have some crappy ammo in your part of the world! I've heard folks say many negative things about 243 Win cartridge, but never cussing their accuracy!?????? Most 243 rifles are simply tack drivers!

I have several .243 Win rifles and all will print 1/2" to 3/4" five shot groups at 100 yds all day long,with my handloads, and 1" groups with factory ammo. I consistantly hit P-dogs at 300 yds from a rest, and have killed a lot of Muledeer,(250-275 pounds) out to 300 yds with one shot kills with 243 Win rifles with 100 gr bullets at 2900-3000 fps!

However,375 fanatic, if I were thinking of takeing her to Africa, then I'd likely get her a 9.3X62, or a 375 H&H, and be done with it! Believe it or not, a 9.3X62, or a 375 H&H rifle will kill deer quite well, and is good practice for Africa! thumb

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest either the 7x57 or the .280 Remington. They are both wonderful 7mm rifles and the recoil is minimal. You can actually load the .280 to almost 7mm Mag performance if you were to opt for the .280 AI version.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
For me...the .308 Win is the logical choice. But 7X57 or the 6.4X55 ain't bad choices either as I am sure a 1000 other choice aren't either.

If DG rifle is wanted...a 9.3X62 might be the ticket.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
Wait, can you really not use a 6.5x55 in Namibia to hunt?

See below (Nature Conservation Ordinance 1975: No.4 of 1975):

Restrictions in regard to fire-arms and capturing apparatus.
42. (1) No person shall use a revolver, pistol or automatic fire-arm when hunting game or use a fire-arm of which the bullet has an energy at the muzzle of the barrel which is lower than the following when hunting the species of game indicated thereunder:
(a) 5400 joules [approx. 4,000 ft.-lbs.]:
Buffalo.
(b) 2700 joules [approx. 2,000 ft.-lbs.]:
Eland
Kudu
Oryx
Wildebeest
Hartebeest
All species of exotic game.
(c) 1350 joules [approx. 1,000 ft.-lbs.]:
Springbok
Duiker
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
What calibre for a woman

Although I'm sure a propperly placed .30-06 would do the job, if a woman charges I'd prefer to have a .458+ double in my hands. There are some vertrans though of several marriage campaigns on here that may have more experience than I.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are some vertrans though of several marriage campaigns on here that may have more experience than I.

Yep...unfortunately!!! The only problem is that there is NO legal caliber for them!!! Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
While the 6.5X55 is very near and dear to my heart and I've killed more big game with the .243 than any other caliber I own, out of the three mentioned I go with the .308. You have a ton of different rifle choices in .308, including a bunch sized for smaller-framed shooters, and factory ammo is plentiful and cheap, so practicing with it won't break the bank.

My girlfriend is coming with me to Zimbabwe next year. I had her out shooting for the first time this week, and she really took to it. If she actually wants to hunt when we go over, I'll get her a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Ultra Light in .308 and top it with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8X. With good bullets and inside of 200 yards, any plains game shouldn't be an issue.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a Browning A-bolt micro hunter in 308 and she loves it. Perfect size for smaller frame people.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenda uses a 7x57 to good result.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never having seen a .243 that gave really first class accuracy (reliably with factory ammo)... the little 6,5x55 is a very pleasant shooting round, and available in a wide range of ammo styles suitable for everything from springbok at 300m (130grn @2990fps) to kudu up close (156grn @2560fps)

+1. My mate was shooting a Sako finnlight in 6.5x55 and running 140gr AB's on our trip to Namibia in September. Everything he shot (including kudu) went down like it was poleaxed. It was the first time for both myself and the PH to see the Swede used on game and we were both damned impressed. He switched from the AB's to 129gr interlocks to do some springbok culling and the results were exactly the same.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a female hunter/shooter (I posted earlier on this thread that I hunt primarily with a .308 and .375 as needed--although I've have experimented with a number of other calibers, I consider these my rifles of choice)...but I think the most important thing to consider about the rifle you help your lady select, is that it fit HER...not a simple hand me down from her man. I've seen beginning women hunters try to shoot rifles with stocks and trigger pulls that made a good shot impossible.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the size of the frame, not the diameter of the projectile is most important.
Having said that let me explain my statement. The stock needs to fit the shooter.
A standard stock is too long for my Wife. I bought her a Ruger M77 and took it out of the box at the dealers, who got her measured up and he ended having to cut about 1/2" (I think it was) off the stock.
It seens to fit her fine and she shoots well with it (hasn't missed a deer yet, knock on wood).

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot. She also killed a Moose in Canada a few years back with this .270 (one shot to the neck and that was the end of the story for him).

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ladies, this will work fine for any big game hunting on the planet.

One planet, one gun.....

~Ann

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing, though, that 6.5x55 isn't allowed in Namibia - did you have any issues or problems when checking the rifle in at the airport Firearms station? Did they raise an eyebrow when you put the caliber down on the form?
quote:
Originally posted by johnfox:
quote:

+1. My mate was shooting a Sako finnlight in 6.5x55 and running 140gr AB's on our trip to Namibia in September. Everything he shot (including kudu) went down like it was poleaxed. It was the first time for both myself and the PH to see the Swede used on game and we were both damned impressed. He switched from the AB's to 129gr interlocks to do some springbok culling and the results were exactly the same.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
So if a typical load for the 6.5x55 would be a 140 grain bullet propelled at 2,700 FPS giving approx. 2,300 foot pounds energy, then it looks like it is OK?

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

42. (1) No person shall use a revolver, pistol or automatic fire-arm when hunting game or use a fire-arm of which the bullet has an energy at the muzzle of the barrel which is lower than the following when hunting the species of game indicated thereunder:
Buffalo.
Eland
Kudu
Oryx
Wildebeest
Hartebeest
Springbok
Duiker
-----------------------------------------------------------------

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep hearing, though, that 6.5x55 isn't allowed in Namibia - did you have any issues or problems when checking the rifle in at the airport Firearms station? Did they raise an eyebrow when you put the caliber down on the form?

The only thing the police officer at Windhoek airport was interested in was the serial numbers of our rifles. Calibre or ammo never got a mention.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Ladies, this will work fine for any big game hunting on the planet.

One planet, one gun.....

What caliber?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I gave you a huge clue when I put the "one planet, one gun" statement in!

popcorn

~Ann

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ann,

is that a new barrel? i've always admired that one.

jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Jeff, it is the original. I had the barrel shortened though and added the NECG sight and the sling mount.

The gun was fitted to me which is key for good shooting!

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Lane,

I gave you a huge clue when I put the "one planet, one gun" statement in!

popcorn

Well homer I figured as much as a 3-7-5 ...but you never know on this forum...could have been a 9.3X62!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On two trips to SA, my wife has shot a Weatherby 7MM, 168 gr. bullet and has shot 12 trophies. In heavey brush she used my .300 Weatherby with a 180 gr. bullet to drop a Blue Wilderbeast. Had no trouble with either rifle.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can recommend the 7x57 or 7-08 loaded with Hornady 154gr softs at 2400 fps for PG including BWB. That's if you are into reloading.

For all round use, I would recommend the 9.3x62 in a bolt, or 9,.3x74R in a double.

The 375 is a bit much for a woman who hunts mainly PG but OK if she is mainly into DG.

I am sure there are some women who can handle a 460 Wby but very few men can with confidence. That would be a silly recommendation.

Since the poster lives in Africa, if factory ammo is the only choice, then the answer would have to be a 308 for PG or a 375 for DG.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Someone said this earlier. It's the FIT that is most important. My wife picked this rifle platform because it fit her best. I had this custom rifle made for her. She shoots two to three boxes of ammo when we go to the range and she loves it. It's a 9.3x74.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Linda killed this buck yesterday morning using her Kimber 308 and 165gr Partitions. She will be carrying the same for elk next weekend.

I have used the 308 caliber for both of my daughters and Linda. Load up a bunch of 125 gr. plinkers and let em shoot and get used to it. Then you have the flexibility to bump it up to 150, 165, or 180gr.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, good for her!

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if a typical load for the 6.5x55 would be a 140 grain bullet propelled at 2,700 FPS giving approx. 2,300 foot pounds energy, then it looks like it is OK?

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Buffalo.
Eland
Kudu
Oryx
Wildebeest
Hartebeest
Springbok
Duiker

Except for buffalo.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Read "The Dianna Files" by Fiona Capstick. ISBN o-9584590-4-5 . Not too long ago, there was a video of some lady hunters knocking over DG with large bangsticks with what can only be descibed as aplomb. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote