Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Hunters/Clients
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted
I am in the process of upgrading my web site to bigger and better, and want your opinion on what you like to see when looking at a web site.

Do you like to see a lot of detail for each country, or just a general outline?

Do you like to see the detailed prices and costs?

Do you like to see a Hunt Special section for discounted hunts that come up on offer?

In the trophy room, do like to see a lot of pictures or only a few?

Do you like to see pictures from the past 2-3 years as a reference to our past quality as well?

Would you like to see live video clips?

What would make you impressed about a web site and know that you are dealing with quality.

Many questions as I want to make sure that I upgrade my site to what you as hunters like to see on a web site and what you would consider a quality site that you enjoy looking at.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Thanks for your time.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Detailed price and costs

Hunt specials

A lot of photographs, but only last season

Profile of the Professional Hunters that work for you

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hey Adam,

Answers:
Yes
Yes
Yes
Lots
Yes
Yes

I like detail, as do most here I think. Pictures are always great. As long as they are well organized and quick to download, you can't have too many.

Video clips would be a nice touch and would probably attract more people to your site...which is the whole intent, right?

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari12:
I am in the process of upgrading my web site to bigger and better, and want your opinion on what you like to see when looking at a web site.

Do you like to see a lot of detail for each country, or just a general outline? Yes

Do you like to see the detailed prices and costs? Yes

Do you like to see a Hunt Special section for discounted hunts that come up on offer? Yes

In the trophy room, do like to see a lot of pictures or only a few? Lots of photos of the last couple of years

Do you like to see pictures from the past 2-3 years as a reference to our past quality as well?

Would you like to see live video clips? Most are pretty slow to downlaod, so I'll pass

What would make you impressed about a web site and know that you are dealing with quality.

Many questions as I want to make sure that I upgrade my site to what you as hunters like to see on a web site and what you would consider a quality site that you enjoy looking at.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, a map of the country with your concessions highlighted on the map. Description of the geography, etc of each concession. "Generally flat with low hills covered mostly in Miombo woodland". Description of the weather that can be expected. Information about visas (if needed), firearms and ammo import. Suggested firearms (calibers) and average shot distances (Longer shots of up to ?250? yards can be expected in Masailand, therefore we recommend a flat shooting caliber such as one of the .300 Magnums, 30.06 or similar" or words to that effect). Maybe a brief outline of the history, geography, etc. of each country. "Botswana is a mostly arid country about the size of Texas. Botswana was a British protectorate known as Bechaunaland until it gained its independence in 1966. The population of Botswana is 1.76 million. The capital of Botswana is Gaborone (pronounced ha-bo-ro-neh) with a population of 186,007. The major ethnic groups are Tswana 79%; Kalanga 11%; Kgalagadi, Herero, Bayeyi, Hambukush, Basarwa ("San"), Khoi ("Hottentots"), whites 10%."

Yes

Do you like to see a Hunt Special section for discounted hunts that come up on offer?

Yes, and a offer to subscribe to your email notification of canceled, discount hunts.

Lots of pictures, sorted by year. Probably the last two or three years is enough.

Yes

No

I like a detailed background on the Outfitter and PHs, when and where born, years of hunting experience. I like to see pictures of the staff including a few trophy pictures with the staff in them. Detailed pictures of the camps. Show the inside of the tents, show a few pictures of the hunters and spouses dining. (Wives like to see pictures of the camp, food, etc. so that they will know they will be comfortable while on safari). A statement similar to "We pride ourselves in locating our camps in comfortable surroundings and maintaining our camp and equipment to the highest standards. Our staff is well trained and eager to see that our clients' and especially any accompanying family members' safari is a comfortable and enjoyable experience." Don't forget that the safari decision is influenced by the non-hunting spouse as well. So (not ignoring our female hunters), but the non-hunting wife often wants to see what the camps, staff, food will be like. If there are alternative things for the non-hunting family members to do, you might want to mention that.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking Adam! Smiler

I'll add to the above that I like to see pictures of the camp, terrian, views, etc in addition to the trophy pict's.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Thanks for asking Adam! Smiler

I'll add to the above that I like to see pictures of the camp, terrain, views, etc in addition to the trophy pict's.

Bill, Good point. More pictures of the typical topography (terrain) of the hunting areas. Pictures of a herd of buffalo or other animals with a broad enough angle so one can see what the terrain looks like.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what Bill and Terry said.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
A detailed packing list, similar to what we have developed on this website.

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input and some great suggestions. I will have most everything covered as much as possible and will keep in mind all your comments. I am sure that you will enjoy it when it is completed and will let you know in 1-2 weeks.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam, The answer is yes to all your questions. I think you pretty much have it all covered with the questions you asked. That should be enough inormation to satisfy everyone.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Adam, Yes to all of the above!

I'm looking forward to seeing your new web site!!! Hurry up! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with T.Carr's opinion...I look for good descriptions of hunting areas, the more detail the better...I like looking at detailed maps of hunting areas. And I like having all the information I need to make an accurate cost estimate of a hunt.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
the only thing I'd add is to make the site as easily navigable as possible without too many layers.

Nothing is more annoying that trying to navigate an unecesarily complicated site.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Success rates on major species eg buff, ele, kudu would be nice. Depending on the hunter, some would prefer higher success rate but lower quality trophies ("collectors" like me), wheras for others size is everything.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
hunt specials
hunt specials
hunt specials
hunt specials
pics from only last season

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Detail please. Most websites are not helpful because they lack detail.

quote:

Absolutely.

quote:

Defintely. Hunt specials and hunt packages can be very attractive to someone who is shopping around, and can easily tip the balance when a client makes his decision.

quote:

Generally more pics = more legitimacy, as long as the location of each kill is listed with each pic. Example subheading for a pic: 43" buffalo taken by Joe Blo in 2003 in Selous block L1.

quote:

Yes, I would like to see them. But I would not base a decision on them. They are just a fun bonus. Vid clips can increase traffic to your site as well, which helps to establish brand recognition even if it does not sell additional hunts in the short term.

quote:

The only way to estimate whether you are dealing with quality is to talk with past clients and to talk to competitors to find out what they think of the safari company and the PH. The only way to be sure you are dealing with quality is to go on the hunt and see.

Some additional things that are nice:

1. A pic of each PH with his trackers and vehicle. A short bio for each PH and tracker is helpful. For example, "Jimmy is from the Masai tribe, and began working as a game scout for the parks department when he was 19. After five years with the parks department, he joined our company where he has worked for the past 11 years. Jimmy specializes in tracking buffalo and getting in close. He also has an instinct for where to find kudu when it seems there are none to be found.

2. A topographical map of the concession, with major roads and camps shown would be nice. If there are locals living in the concession, the map should also show where their villages are.

3. History of the company. This section should indicate who founded the company and when, what changes in ownership have occurred, what countries and areas the company has hunted in during past years, and where the company is focusing its efforts today.

4. Visa forms online.

5. Blank hunt contract online (helps people to get used to the idea and the terms in advance).

6. Recommended travel agent with a link to his/her website from yours.

7. For each type of hunt, it might be helpful to provide some indication of the level of physical difficulty (it's only fair to warn a client how much climbing is to be expected on a barbary sheep hunt), the level of hunting difficulty (i.e., bongo hunting without dogs ain't easy), level of marksmanship required (i.e., expect shots at gemsbok in the desert to be 300 to 500 yards), and the level of luxury provided or omitted in camp.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have been a safari client, I've been a PH and I spent quite a lot of time in sales and what I know for fact is people will ASK for everything, even though they really have no intention of using it, but they want to be helpful! What I want to know is, HOW MUCH, not an initial low price that doubles by the time you add on all the other required expenses. Trophy photos are good, but only from last season, a lot of things can change in three years. I prefer to see things short and to the point, I don't have the time to navigate through page after page of trivia and I don't think many other people really do either.
I want to know where, when, what and how much. After that, all the other info can follow, when you and I both know that,I am interested.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Get rid of the frames - they are annoying to web-browsing.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947