THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What odd little things did you bring back from Africa?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What odd little things did you bring back from Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
Couple boxes of these.

Fun to light a cigar with one, sit outside by a fire here and think of the fires next to which we sat there.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good memories and a bunch of tick bites this last trip.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dung beetle ball.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A large porcupine quill I found. Makes the North American species look small.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last trip a very unique trophy. A dog collar off a poachers dog I shot after the poacher siced the dogs on us after busting them. The poachers got away, but we got 5 dogs.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I always buy carved wooden figures for my four grandchildren, plus a few for myself. So far, I've given them carved rhinos, elephant, warthogs, kudu and gemsbok. I've bought them in Swakopmund, Outjo, and Otjiwarongo. If you haggle with the native artists, you can get them for under $10 each.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beer

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Yep. Porcupine quill.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of sandals made with automobile tire tread soles and springbok fur, from the street vendors outside Nelson Mandela's Soweto home.

I also bought the carved wooden figures, though I don't know how "authentic" they are. Several seemingly unrelated vendors told me that they had been hand-carved by their uncle...

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Quills, elephant molar, key chains, rugby tshirts ( blue Bulls )

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Double edge dagger I took from a poacher we caught on my way unguided Cameroon hunt. It has a 10" blade, was hand made from truck leaf spring, and has a nice leather handle and sheath.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
elephant molar

Tread carefully Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Poachers snares! I have quite an assortment of them. Also cups from the palm wine dealers!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once considered trying to bring back a leopard blind I had spent two weeks in. The leopard was smarter than we were and I wanted some momento!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting the (relatively) large number of poachers' artifacts brought back. That would probably be an interesting topic in itself.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Just curios and gifts for friends and family. I think the PHs have side deals with the little bazaars on the side of the road! Jaja. It was all pretty cheap and well appreciated by the recipients.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A carved elephant stool. A grass basket, with knots every bit as good a SW American native work.

I want the mortar and pedestal used to grind corn. Polished smooth and bright from years of use. Next time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An infection on my thigh that erupted like a volcano. Thankfully, I had antibiotics along. Two years later and the scar remains.

Posts: 225 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDSpink:
An infection on my thigh that erupted like a volcano. Thankfully, I had antibiotics along. Two years later and the scar remains.

Where from - not TZ by chance?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

I have had the same. MRSA I was told.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
elephant molar

Tread carefully Wink

Oh, it came with my other elephant stuff
Didn't smuggle it :-)

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had the same. MRSA I was told.

What species where you hunting? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Couple boxes of these.

Fun to light a cigar with one, sit outside by a fire here and think of the fires next to which we sat there.

I have that box too! Smiler Man, we brought back all sorts of stuff, from the "duty" Ostrich eggs, to pillow covers for the den, wooden carvings of animals, even some porcupine quills from a road kill and some noshit pieces of mopane wood to burn. Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
A sand worm infection.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
On the other note, tick bite fever, awesome headaches and fever
Battled it thru most of my last elephant hunt
On my way home in Harare, I met lady doctor from Uganda and she gave me some antibiotics which helped
I do believe she was an angel...

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nope, Zimbabwe.

Posts: 225 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first trip my buddy asked me to bring him back some rocks.

A rock from Northwest and a rock from Free State is what he got. Big Grin

Dad came home with trinkets for everybody in the family, including the Blue Bulls jersey for that year.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woven baskets, wooden giraffes, paintings, a small side table with a chess board on one side and the Big 5 carved on the other. A hand carved bread basket (way cool) other beads and trinkets as gifts to nephews, nieces and grandkid

Tim

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . lucky beans.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Im a sucker for everything thats old..Just a few things I have is old maps from the countrys that I travelled to, old axe, a poachers trap, a turtle rotflmo I bought my guides old ice axe in Pakistan last year and this year I bought my guides "inuit goggles" when hunting the NWT.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It is frowned upon to bring back pygmies nowadays.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the usual stuff and knick knacks. Lots of pictures. Went to the Tag shop in Bulawayo and bought some great safari shirts. And the great treasure was some kind of crazy infection. Neither my doctor nor the Doctors at Loma Linda could figure it out. After a couple of rounds of IV antibiotics it seemed to go away.

Cheers, Steve

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My most treasured souvenir from Africa is an axe made from a truck's leaf spring and a tree root that our tracker used daily on both of my hunts in Zambia in the 1990s.

He wouldn't sell it to me on my first trip, but relented on the second. He said the blade was shaped by his father in a makeshift forge.

It was amazing how quickly he could cut up downed trees that blocked the two-track roads in Mumbwa East with that axe.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Dung beetle ball.

Well, she brought back a set of earrings that LOOK like a nguqongqothwane ball. (They're actually a tiny gourd but look like what King Tsonga smashed up and rolled his smokes with in "Mr. Bones".)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've brought back small stones (at least one from every place I've hunted,) quills and feathers, seed pods, a little vial of red soil from where I killed a gemsbok, a small bag of biltong... all sorts of things USDA would not be happy about. And a lot of the usual carvings, baskets, etc.
Much of it I keep here in my office at the courthouse to remind me why I continue to deal with so human dysfunction.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I came back with an African hunting addiction.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Wonderful lifetime memories ... Plus some snares, an axe and Anja an armful of dried seed pods, dried plants and seeds and quills!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forget the proper name but two shots of penicillin cleared it up.

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poacher's arrow from side of highway (re-fletched it with guinea fowl feathers), crystal I found in hills of Namibia

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The usual small carvings and jewellery pieces for gifts, a few recovered bullets, a pair of fly whisks made by the tracker from the tails of a gemsbok and a wildebeest, a couple of hats from the outfitters' companies, and enough photos (thousands) and memories for a lifetime.

I am still kicking myself for absent-mindedly leaving behind a small sitting-height set of shooting sticks made by one of the trackers specifically for the afternoon we spent lying in wait to ambush a warthog. They were nothing special, just a couple of branches lashed together with rope, but he was so happy to present them to me that I didn't have the heart to ever tell him I hadn't used them; just shot off my knee. I'm still hoping that the cleaning staff disposed of them when they cleaned my tent without him finding out that I had left them there...they were just leaning in the corner, waiting to be slipped into my gun case. I wanted them!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote